Homemade chicken strips

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I made this last night and it turned out really well. My babysitter told me she had happened on a recipe for oven-fried chicken, and she said it was just whatever breading or dredge you use, and you put it in the oven with butter.

So here is what I did last night:

2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
Buttermilk
Flour with salt and pepper.

Heat oven to 350. Put baking pan in oven to heat (I used my broiler pan. It's shallow, but can accomodate lots of butter and chicken).

Put in one cube of butter, one cube of nucoa, allow to melt while you:

Dip chicken strips in buttermilk, then roll in flour or whatever your breading of choice is.

Put the strips in the melted hot butter in the oven, cook for about 35 minutes, turn, cook about 35 minutes longer, more or less. I turned it up at the end to accelerate the process, nothing burned and the chicken was done, the breading adhered but not so crunchy it hurt my mouth.

I finally found a way to use the buttermilk batter! Yay. It really does impart a nice flavor to chicken, but it's like concrete when you fry it.

I made this last night and it turned out really well. My babysitter told me she had happened on a recipe for oven-fried chicken, and she said it was just whatever breading or dredge you use, and you put it in the oven with butter.

So here is what I did last night:

2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
Buttermilk
Flour with salt and pepper.

Heat oven to 350. Put baking pan in oven to heat (I used my broiler pan. It's shallow, but can accomodate lots of butter and chicken).

Put in one cube of butter, one cube of nucoa, allow to melt while you:

Dip chicken strips in buttermilk, then roll in flour or whatever your breading of choice is.

Put the strips in the melted hot butter in the oven, cook for about 35 minutes, turn, cook about 35 minutes longer, more or less. I turned it up at the end to accelerate the process, nothing burned and the chicken was done, the breading adhered but not so crunchy it hurt my mouth.

I finally found a way to use the buttermilk batter! Yay. It really does impart a nice flavor to chicken, but it's like concrete when you fry it.

I hadn't a clue to what nucoa was, googled it. :eek: Is that 'any type of margarine?' Seriously, is the recipe calling for a pat of butter and a pat of margarine?

• Banned
No, a CUBE of each, lol. You could probably use less....the trick is use enough to cover the bottom of the pan, and make sure it's hot when you put the chicken in.

Nucoa is an old margarine brand. The thing is, it doesn't burn. I've tried oven-fried chicken using just butter and the butter will burn if the heat is too high.

But using one of each it doesn't seem to. The nucoa doesn't burn at all.

Here's a recipe that someone gave to me on the Yahoo Red Sox message board. Delectable!

A play on Chicken Cordon Bleu, italian style. Stuffed with proscuitto, pancetta, spinach, swiss, and provolone, and some summer veggies, with gaaahlic and crushed red pepper.

Just pound the chiken breasts flat, then proscuitto, swiss, spinach, pancetta, prov. A little fresh basil, roll it like a fatty, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, salt & pepper. Oven at 350 for 45 min. for three breasts. If more then probably 50 min. MMMMMMMMM!

Forum List

Back