Homeless upset over McDonald's dollar menu increase

And if you look, there's no name and no 'study'. the post is attributed to 'canvas staff'... which means they sent some poor baby reporter into the partk to ask whatever homeless people are there their 'thoughts' on this subject.

And this is what they said:

"I eat less. I have to get more money," said 29-year-old Nicholas Newhart to The San Francisco Chronicle . He was not happy with the price increase and said, "If I don't have a dollar and I want food, I just end up going to a trash can."

So, wtf is the problem?

If he was in Mexico City, instead of San Francisco, he'd need to travel hundreds of miles, and wade across a river to eat free out of a trash can.

America prospered before entitlements. There is something about having to make your own way that is a great motivator.

america prospered or the carpetbaggers prospered?

prior to social security, 50% of all senior citizens lived below the poverty level.

and we all know how that whole sweat-shop thing worked out.

The real answer is cutting spending and spurring economic growth, but you loons on the left never understand macroeconomics.

:blahblah:

because rightwingnut economic policies worked so well.

but thanks for the use of the fallacious and misleading article.

psst... the largest tax increase during my lifetime was signed into law by your guy ronnie reagan.

We've never had real conservative policies - all have been tainted with Big Government compromises.

Reagan, on balance, cut taxes - something an economic illiterate such as you doesn't grok.

4506671248_1e3c76f6cd.jpg
You mean he cut taxes for the rich, and raised them for the lower middle class.

In contrast, the share of total income of the lowest fifth of households fell from 4.2% in 1980 to 3.8% in 1988 and the second poorest fifth from 10.2% to 9.6%.[7]

Domestic policy of the Ronald Reagan administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15% since many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income. [1] This would be the only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly.
Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I thought all those lib's up in Frisco are kind, caring, giving people. Why would the homeless have to depend on McD's value menu for survival with all those kind, caring, giving liberal people up there?

prior to social security, 50% of all senior citizens lived below the poverty level.

Since the Great Depression happened shortly before the first SSI recipient received a check in 1940, it isn't difficult to believe there were many poor, and many more senior citizens living below the poverty level (whatever that may mean).

What is interesting is that, after all the succeeding decades, and SSI, including the War on Poverty LBJ began almost 50 years ago, about 10% of all senior citizens STILL LIVE below the poverty level TODAY!

:blahblah:

because rightwingnut economic policies worked so well.

but thanks for the use of the fallacious and misleading article.

psst... the largest tax increase during my lifetime was signed into law by your guy ronnie reagan.

We've never had real conservative policies - all have been tainted with Big Government compromises.

Reagan, on balance, cut taxes - something an economic illiterate such as you doesn't grok.

4506671248_1e3c76f6cd.jpg
You mean he cut taxes for the rich, and raised them for the lower middle class.

In contrast, the share of total income of the lowest fifth of households fell from 4.2% in 1980 to 3.8% in 1988 and the second poorest fifth from 10.2% to 9.6%.[7]

Domestic policy of the Ronald Reagan administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15% since many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income. [1] This would be the only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly.
Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poppycock. As a result of the tax changes, the share of taxes paid by the top 10% of income earners increased.

fig-1.gif

The Reagan Tax Cuts: Lessons for Tax Reform

Last edited:
But I thought all those lib's up in Frisco are kind, caring, giving people. Why would the homeless have to depend on McD's value menu for survival with all those kind, caring, giving liberal people up there?

They don't depend on the value menue.

If they haven't a dollar, they just go dinner dumpster diving.

Rugmunchers must not be interested in cleaning their plates.

It seems that a lot of people here are overlooking the obvious, or choosing to dance around it.

This McDonalds got rid of the dollar menu specifically to price out the urban survivalist riff-raff. Probably because they believed they were keeping other, higher paying customers away. Not to sound too douchy, but I wouldn't want to go to a McDonalds known for vagrant pan-handlers begging for handouts.

In Baltimore, the Double Cheeseburger and some other items can be purchased for about $1 or $1.20. But as important as the relatively low prices is the policy of letting the customers stay in the store for extended periods. For example, on a Sunday morning the Baltimore McDonald's outlets open either at 6AM or 7AM, and customers (homeless or not) can spend several hours "chilling-out" in the store without being hassled.

So your solution is what? Make sure lesbians eat all their food?

So your solution is what? Make sure lesbians eat all their food?

They shouldn't eat out as much. They could save some money.

America prospered before entitlements. There is something about having to make your own way that is a great motivator.

america prospered or the carpetbaggers prospered?

and we all know how that whole sweat-shop thing worked out.
All we've done today is outsource the sweatshops overseas.

Aright folks I live in SF. I know this McD. I know the area VERY WELL.

1- Most of not all of the street people in the height ashberry are young punks who like the street culture of doing drugs, taking handouts, panhandling and being bums.
2- NO one in this city can say they are "hungry." Lazy yes, hungry no. SF has more soup kitchens, churches, out reach programs and food hand outs of meals 3 times a day. There is a huge church right there in the height that has a soup kitchen.
3- We have homeless shelters with EMPTY beds.
4- The city just spent 12 million dollars to revamp the end of the park where they hang out (across the street from the McD in questions).

I don't blame this McD one bit for trying to get rid of these street people. I as a customer will not go near that McD because i don't like being aggressively panhandled the moment i walk up to or leave the place.

Want pictures of the place? I would be happy to take them for all of you.

1- Most of not all of the street people in the height ashberry are young punks who like the street culture of doing drugs, taking handouts, panhandling and being bums.
2- NO one in this city can say they are "hungry." Lazy yes, hungry no. SF has more soup kitchens, churches, out reach programs and food hand outs of meals 3 times a day. There is a huge church right there in the height that has a soup kitchen.
4- The city just spent 12 million dollars to revamp the end of the park where they hang out (across the street from the McD in questions).

I don't blame this McD one bit for trying to get rid of these street people. I as a customer will not go near that McD because i don't like being aggressively panhandled the moment i walk up to or leave the place.

You'd think, living there and all, you'd know how to spell the name of the area.

You'd think, living there and all, you'd know how to spell the name of the area.

Spell check.

I'd rep you but I 24 hr timed out. :clap2:

I'd rep you but I 24 hr timed out. :clap2:
No worries!....I just repped her for ya'!

Just a little side note to all of this.

The mayor has just bought a home in the area and his family was complaining about all of the street people around. The wife didn't like having to deal with walking around and over drunk or drugged out people. She felt threatened a bit by the atmospeher.

Amazingly he announced a plan to clean up the area...could this be part of it?

Just a thought

So you're saying if this happened at a methadone clinic we'd have some serious shit on our hands?
I'd like to see a riot made up of heroin addicts. It would probably break out into song.
:lol:
jackson_thriller.jpg

So you're saying if this happened at a methadone clinic we'd have some serious shit on our hands?
I'd like to see a riot made up of heroin addicts. It would probably break out into song.
:lol:
jackson_thriller.jpg

LMAO the haight ashbury free clinic is right there along with several methadone services, to which do you refer?

Just a little side note to all of this.

The mayor has just bought a home in the area and his family was complaining about all of the street people around. The wife didn't like having to deal with walking around and over drunk or drugged out people. She felt threatened a bit by the atmospeher.

Amazingly he announced a plan to clean up the area...could this be part of it?

Just a thought

I think that may 'splain it.

Forum List

Back