Homeless Marine Laid to Rest After Losing Life While Saving Others

Cool story.

The 61-year-old also was a man starting to get his life back together after living for years in a shanty beneath a Cleveland bridge. He had struggled with alcoholism, but by November he had a welding job, friends and a place to stay at a boarding house.

He rescued five people from that house when arsonists set it ablaze — but Vivier couldn't save himself. He and three others died, and two people have been charged in their deaths. Vivier's body, unclaimed and unidentified for weeks, seemed destined for an anonymous, modest burial.

However, Jody Fesco — who met Vivier while she was volunteering at a soup kitchen and had even invited him to her wedding — heard that Vivier may have died. Fesco and her husband contacted their friend Haraz Ghanbari, an Associated Press photographer, about the situation. Ghanbari took the lead to make sure Vivier wasn't forgotten, tracking down the family members and arranging a proper funeral.

On Friday, Vivier's ashes were inurned at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.

"You can see from what he did that he definitely had a good heart," said Mercedes Cruz, Vivier's ex-wife of 23 years, who attended the funeral with the couple's children. "No matter what our difficulties were in our marriage, I'm very proud of what's happened."

It is a pity that when he finally was able to get it back together, someone else stole it from him.

The guy was and is a hero. It's a damn shame that his life was snatched away just when he was getting it back together. However, saving the lives of five people in the process is definitely something to be proud of.

The care of returning veterants should be paramount in any civilized society.

He is a great loss to society.

One thing I've noticed about people with addictions is that there are a shitload of them with great minds and/or hearts. At least he got to show his worthiness before he passed. I guarantee it was important to him and we got to see what he was made of.

Under the Obama Administration, this man would be declared a right wing extremist and potential terror threat because he was a veteran. Just ask Janet Napolitano.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back