Homeless and hungry children in a country as prosperous and powerful as United States

Jun 29, 2004
Why?

I am asking this only because I hardly ever hear stories, if any, about homeless and hungry children in any other fully industrialized nation.

Thank you for your contribution

777 said:
Why?

I am asking this only because I hardly ever hear stories, if any, about homeless and hungry children in any other fully industrialized nation.

I never hear about them here. No one starves in america. Even the poor are obese.

rtwngAvngr said:
I never hear about them here. No one starves in america. Even the poor are obese.

I don't know what you read in papers or watch on TV but these cases are reported in the main media often enough where people cannot pretend to have never heard of such cases. So, the question still stands, why?

777 said:
I don't know what you read in papers or watch on TV but these cases are reported in the main media often enough where people cannot pretend to have never heard of such cases. So, the question still stands, why?

Can you link to one? Just one?

I experience hunger everyday, then I eat. And when I have a sack, forget about it.

rtwngAvngr said:
How many children died of starvation last year?

Are we talking about dying of starvation here? No. Homeless children and not having enough to eat, yes. Has anyone here ever heard of such thing as street kids? I would like nothing more that it to be a myth but I have witnessed it too many times in person. How many documentaries, 20/20 segments, Oprah etc. have been devoted to children living on the streets right here in the USA?
Why are you are still pretending the problem doesn't exist? The question still remains, why?

777 said:
Are we talking about dying of starvation here? No. Homelessness and not having enough to eat, yes. Has anyone here ever heard of such thing as street kids? I would like nothing more that it to be a myth but I have witnessed it too many times in person. How many documentaries, 20/20 segments, Oprah etc. have been devoted to children living on the streets right here in the USA?
Why are you are still pretending the problem doesn't exist? The question still remains, why?

Your title to this thread does say "Homeless and Hungry Children" - yes, there are plenty of children out on the streets homeless, unfortanately, most by choice - these are kids that are runaways that couldn't hack it at home. Most have made their choice and CAN go back home, but refuse. With those, I can't pity as much as children at home with families, that ARE hungry! due to poverty or in a low income area in need of some sort of help. I don't particularly believe in Welfare, unless truly needed to HELP, and only as a temporary solution till one can get on their feet and not sit back on have the system take care of them! but there are areas that truly are in poverty and YES, there are infants that are dying from hunger right here in NC,

"North Carolina ranks 45th poorest among the 50 states in the number of infants dying per 1,000 live births."

LINK

777 said:
Are we talking about dying of starvation here? No. Homelessness and not having enough to eat, yes. Has anyone here ever heard of such thing as street kids? I would like nothing more that it to be a myth but I have witnessed it too many times in person. How many documentaries, 20/20 segments, Oprah etc. have been devoted to children living on the streets right here in the USA?

I would believe there was a food problem if ANYONE EVER died of starvation. Many living below the poverty line are quite rotund. And hunger is something we all experience everyday, seriously, it's not just a funny joke.

And any able bodied person who can't find a job in america is either, too proud, or unwilling to pull up their pants and show up on time.

777 said:
Why?

Because people just like you hear about these things do nothing but wonder why the goverment doesn't help them.

Porr and starving children is a bad thing, shouldn't happen. As for adults unless you are mentally or physically incapacitated there are jobs for everyone if you are willing to swallow your pride and work sometimes for less than your worth. If you can't do that and are still poor, homeless and starving, fuck off. I have no patience for perfectly capable homeless or those who are the same on welfare.

OCA said:
Porr and starving children is a bad thing, shouldn't happen. As for adults unless you are mentally or physically incapacitated there are jobs for everyone if you are willing to swallow your pride and work sometimes for less than your worth. If you can't do that and are still poor, homeless and starving, fuck off. I have no patience for perfectly capable homeless or those who are the same on welfare.

You sure would have a field day with my Son's Mothers friend then. A woman 33, 2 children - pawning of Welfare for the past 2 years. She has this new boyfriend, spent most of his life in Jail, yeah, he's 26, part of this gang, so he says. Both go down to welfare, apply, she puts him down as some sort of child care provider, he gets a check a month, plus food stamps, plus another living expense check. Both live together and putting all their welfare together. I told her too that I could have her a job in a heart beat, obviously their situation is more fun.

When she found out I was going through a divorce, they ran to me telling me they can give me every advice on how to SCREW the system! they know all the ins and outs! I don't think so! but what bothers me more, is knowing the crap they are buying, and how nice it must be to not have to pay for electric, heat, etc... and I struggle! Don't know what the hell is wrong with this state that they have allowed this for 2 years and no questions asked.

When I first got out of college I lived next door to this couple, the guy was an asshole but he worked hard around his home most days, but some days he'd be limping with a cane and the strangest thing of all was he always parked his damn truck like a mile from his house and always in different spots. Come to find out this sumbitch was claiming disability from the state and recieving early S.S. because he said he was physically incapacitated, the truck deal was they told him not to drive because what he was claiming would have made it dangerous for him to drive.

Me being me, I told him he was a fucking loser and turned his ass in, even told them where to find his truck so they could get pics of him driving. He moved soon after that. :banana:

OCA said:
When I first got out of college I lived next door to this couple, the guy was an asshole but he worked hard around his home most days, but some days he'd be limping with a cane and the strangest thing of all was he always parked his damn truck like a mile from his house and always in different spots. Come to find out this sumbitch was claiming disability from the state and recieving early S.S. because he said he was physically incapacitated, the truck deal was they told him not to drive because what he was claiming would have made it dangerous for him to drive.

Me being me, I told him he was a fucking loser and turned his ass in, even told them where to find his truck so they could get pics of him driving. He moved soon after that. :banana:

I would love to turn these two in - also, both have to run downtown every morning for their dose of meds being they are so called recovering heroin addicts. Only thing that keeps me from reporting them, are the 2 kids. If I knew how to get in contact with the Father, to be sure, I would contact him and let him know how his children are living. BTW Mikey, the Father and children are GREEK!!!! :)

janeeng said:
I would love to turn these two in - also, both have to run downtown every morning for their dose of meds being they are so called recovering heroin addicts. Only thing that keeps me from reporting them, are the 2 kids. If I knew how to get in contact with the Father, to be sure, I would contact him and let him know how his children are living. BTW Mikey, the Father and children are GREEK!!!! :)

Oh mannnnnnnnnn, i'd love to have 5 minutes with this clown. Let me say I never said we don't have our fair share of deadbeats also.

OCA said:
Oh mannnnnnnnnn, i'd love to have 5 minutes with this clown. Let me say I never said we don't have our fair share of deadbeats also.

It's the boyfriend you would love to have the minutes with, well, the Mother too! The Father provides for the kids, but has NO idea of what's going, the kids are TOO AFRAID to tell him what's going on. The boyfriend is half black/white, not that that makes anyone bad, but he claims to be part of the breed, that when a contract goes out and he is given a job, he has to do what they say, or he will be killed, I think he is full of crap, but this is his claim. He hits the kids, and beats up the Mother. She came to me once, full of bruises, tells me she can't kick this guy out, he will go to jail then for a LONG time, and doesn't know what to do. My comments to her were "If your going to allow this guy to hit you and your kids, threaten to kill you, pawn off the state, etc." then don't come to me for sympathy. I more so don't understand why the State has allowed all this, and yes, a neighbor did call dyfus once, but nothing happened.

See the great thing about America 777 is that there are always caring people that volunteer time and resources through churches and other organizations to help those truly needy. The truth is there will always be poor people among us, there is no such things as a eutopian society as many have tried to have over the years. As long as there is sin (neglectful parents, rebellious kids, bad teachers, corrupt politicians and law enforcement, and a good number of poeple in society that have been led to believe government was put in place soley to help everyone, everywhere, with every problem, there will always be more poor and hungry than there should be, hence the good works that many do cannot possibly address all the needs of those who are not willing to help themselves. Sadly the good that is being done rarely gets any media attention, except for the occasional mention around the holidays.

777 said:
Are we talking about dying of starvation here? No. Homeless children and not having enough to eat, yes. Has anyone here ever heard of such thing as street kids? I would like nothing more that it to be a myth but I have witnessed it too many times in person. How many documentaries, 20/20 segments, Oprah etc. have been devoted to children living on the streets right here in the USA?

I understand your compassion, but I don't see you piously touting your accomplishments with regard to helping anyone. Several members of my family have dedicated their LIVES to social activism, what have you done, aside from complaining?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This isn't just a problem in the US, other countries have problems with the mentally ill "falling through the cracks" and ending up on the street.

At least in the US the homeless can go to shelters and get a meal. Poor people in Mexico, Dominican Republic and many other countries are left to beg and hope for the goodness of strangers.

http://www.stopabuse.org/CARE.html

New Topics

Forum List

Back