Homeland Security Watches Twitter,Social Media,Drudge...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Jan 12, 2012.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Still think it's all just a 'Crazy Conspiracy Theory?'

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's command center routinely monitors dozens of popular websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, WikiLeaks and news and gossip sites including the Huffington Post and Drudge Report, according to a government document.

A "privacy compliance review" issued by DHS last November says that since at least June 2010, its national operations center has been operating a "Social Networking/Media Capability" which involves regular monitoring of "publicly available online forums, blogs, public websites and message boards."

The purpose of the monitoring, says the government document, is to "collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture."...

News and gossip sites on the monitoring list include popular destinations such as the Drudge Report, Huffington Post and "NY Times Lede Blog", as well as more focused techie fare such as the Wired blogs "Threat Level" and "Danger Room." Numerous blogs related to terrorism and security are also on the list.

Some of the sites on the list are potentially controversial. WikiLeaks is listed for monitoring, even though officials in some other government agencies were warned against using their official computers to access WikiLeaks material because much of it is still legally classified under U.S. government rules.

Read More:
    Homeland Security watches Twitter, social media | Reuters
    - Big Journalism

2. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    I always assume that websites are watched, it just doesn't bother me. There are methods of assured web anonymity, look into them if you are that worried, as for me I do not have any opinion I am ashamed of or fearful to post on any internet forum.

3. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    I certainly hope so.

4. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Maybe you should be more worried? Just sayin?

5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    The second anyone is too scared to open their mouth and speak their piece in any setting then they have willingly given up their right of free speech for the illusion of safety. Don't let them win Paulbot, be brave like us liberals.

6. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    No,bravery would be standing up and speaking out against Big Brother spying on its Citizens 24/7. The opposite of bravery would be to shut up or approve & cheerlead for it. You're not brave at all. You're just going along to get along. You're like most Americans these days.

7. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    No I just pick my battles wisely, why would the government not monitor these sites? They have monitored TV and radio longer than either of us have been alive.

8. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,847
    You can bet your ass-ets that the Feds monitor this forum and any other domestic discussion group on the web. I recall when lefties were outraged when it was revealed that the Bush administration was monitoring selected overseas calls without a warrant. The left went crazy because Bush is a republican. Today federal surveillance is commonplace and there is little outrage in the media because a radical leftie is in the white house.

9. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Same idiots who praised their idiot for signing NDAA into Law. They're not worth listening to at this point. They're very disingenuous people.

10. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    Monitoring phone calls is one thing, there is an expectation of privacy and I am not in the least bit accepting of that, but this is after all a public forum, if you want privacy you are in the wrong place.