Homeland Security seizes domain names

While I too wonder that Homeland Security is involved in shutting down these illegal pirated content providers, I applaude that they were shut down.

I also question why the Coast Guard is now a department in that organization.

You applaud that they shut down US businesses without due process and in violation of US law? That they shut down at least one business that had no illegal content? That the owners of those businesses now are forced to lay off workers and spend money that would have been paying them to prove that they are innocent?

You really need to consider exactly what it is you are applauding.

Yes JW not all on the right supported the patriot act but the vast majority did.

I hate to say this but it keeps reminging me of Germany between the wars.

Be fair. A majority on the left did also. Almost all of the opposition came from the fringes, and the die hard civil libertarians.

Yes JW not all on the right supported the patriot act but the vast majority did.

Be fair. A majority on the left did also. Almost all of the opposition came from the fringes, and the die hard civil libertarians.

I have stated as much. A far greater percentage of the right supported the Patriot act than did the left though.
Yeah I know it is somewhat of a they are worse than we are, however the right led the charge and were the majority of the fear mongers.

2001 house patriot act votes.
yea nay nv
Republican 211 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66

I think all but 2 senators voted for the patriot act.
I think one was Rion Paul and not sure of the other one, maybe it was NV?

Actually, only Feingold (WIS) voted against it. Landrieu (LA) abstained.

yea nay nv
Republican 211 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66

correct, my error, Paul is in the house anyway he was one of the 3 republicans that voted against it I believe in the HOUSE.

I have stated as much. A far greater percentage of the right supported the Patriot act than did the left though.
Yeah I know it is somewhat of a they are worse than we are, however the right led the charge and were the majority of the fear mongers.

I hadn't read that far yet. At least I didn't attack you as a partisan hack. :razz:

Notice who was in office when these powers were created?

Doesn't who is using them count? Or does it only count if a Republican uses them?

It does not matter to me, wrong is wrong no matter the side.
At the time it passed I mentioned that a Republican would not always be in charge and the right would live to regret their support.

yea nay nv
Republican 211 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66

correct, my error, Paul is in the house anyway he was one of the 3 republicans that voted against it I believe in the HOUSE.

Correct. I figured that was because his son just won a Senate seat, and will be in it next year.

Correct. I figured that was because his son just won a Senate seat, and will be in it next year.

Naah just an old guy brain fart on my part. thanks for the understanding.
I do admire Ron Paul for maintaing his integrity and not bowing much ot the republican party.
I agree with many of his beliefs, just think he is ahead of his time by 100 years or so.
And not fully dealing the current reality. However we need more like him in govt for a better balance.

His son now? just a big question mark at this time.

Last edited:
Notice who was in office when these powers were created?

Doesn't who is using them count? Or does it only count if a Republican uses them?

At the time it passed I mentioned that a Republican would not always be in charge and the right would live to regret their support.

I agree. Funny thing is, I am saying the same thing to people on the left now. That is just weird.

Naah just an old guy brain fart on my part. thanks for the understanding.
I do admire Ron Paul for maintaing his integrity and not bowing much ot the republican party.
I agree with many of his beliefs, just think he is ahead of his time by 100 years or so.
And not fully dealing the current reality. However we need more like him in govt for a better balance.

His son now? just a big question mark at this time.

I agree about Ron. The guy has integrity, and I would love to see us close down all foreign bases, it just will not work right now. As for Rand, we will see.

And I certainly understand brain farts. I try really hard not to post during them, but they do sneak in occasionally.

I agree. Funny thing is, I am saying the same thing to people on the left now. That is just weird.

Yes strange, but still not too bright of them on either side.
I was disgusted with the left during our post 911 period of fear driven madness as well.
Freedom fries?
How childish for our leaders to be.

You are either with us or with the terrorists?
Again sounds like a 12 yr old.

If you have done nothing wrong you have noting to fear? Now that is very scary. And I was belittled for saying so at the time.

It does not matter to me, wrong is wrong no matter the side. At the time it passed I mentioned that a Republican would not always be in charge and the right would live to regret their support.

Those were the heady days when Rove was predicting GOP rule for the next millennia. My every argument started with "When Hillary Clinton is president do you want this power in her hands..." I was pooh poohed. It would never happen. Folks would never again put a liberal Democrat in the White House...

It does not matter to me, wrong is wrong no matter the side. At the time it passed I mentioned that a Republican would not always be in charge and the right would live to regret their support.

Those were the heady days when Rove was predicting GOP rule for the next millennia. My every argument started with "When Hillary Clinton is president do you want this power in her hands..." I was pooh poohed. It would never happen. Folks would never again put a liberal Democrat in the White House...

Those of limited vision are destined to keep repeating mistakes.

Those of limited vision are destined to keep repeating mistakes.

It don't take no Nostradamus. The pendulum always swings, government always uses as much power as people are willing to let it take.

Forum List

Back