Homeland Security seizes domain names

The fact that uscitizen insists on exclusively blaming the right for this further proves my assertion that uscitizen is a partisan hack.

true story :thup:

Ohh I don't blame them exclusively. the left was involved as well.
However the Patriot Act and the combining of agencies was the rights baby.
Some on the left thought it was cute too.
Then it grew up into an ugly gorilla. Now the right is whining about their baby.

While I too wonder that Homeland Security is involved in shutting down these illegal pirated content providers, I applaude that they were shut down.

I also question why the Coast Guard is now a department in that organization.

We must have one large consolidated agency to deal with the coming rebellion.

TM remember when we argued against the Patriot act?
What the supporters said and what we said?

from another board....
If there is a bright spot in all this, the folks outside of government are waaaaaayyy smarter than the iron fisted trolls in government service.
New ways will be found to communicate information. Software/entertainment pirates are easy targets, because they are not particularly sympathetic scoundrels. Now the door is open, the method in place. Who or what is the next internet target of state control?

Net neutrality anyone? Its The Office of Handicapper General for the computer age.

State reach and control never recede until the state collapses.

How much are you willing to accept before you too are named an outlaw?

there were more than a few on the (old) right who from our positions in the wilderness shouted their opposition to the (un)Patriot(ic) Act and the creation of Fatherland Security.

Last edited:
Yes JW not all on the right supported the patriot act but the vast majority did.

I hate to say this but it keeps reminging me of Germany between the wars.

Last edited:
When it comes to the creation of HSA, the DEMS were way onboard with it.

So trying to fault JUST the Republicans for that is partisan nonsense.

And one cannot help but wonder how such a huge bill, one so complex and involving so many departments in the government, could have been designed and written so quickly after 911.

There's some who believe, and I think I do too, although I am open to hearing other theories to explain it, that the HSA bill was pre-written and that some elements of the government were just WAITING for an opportunity (like the hysteria post 911) to get this HSA police state-like administrative tool rammed though Congress.

And one cannot help but wonder how such a huge bill, one so complex and involving so many departments in the government, could have been designed and written so quickly after 911.

There's some who believe, and I think I do too, although I am open to hearing other theories to explain it, that the HSA bill was pre-written and that some elements of the government were just WAITING for an opportunity (like the hysteria post 911) to get this HSA police state-like administrative tool rammed though Congress.

Yep, the fear driven mania in post 911 was being fanned ver well by our pundits and government. I thought it strange at the time that our govt was working to make us more fearful as opposed to reassuring us.

And I also feel that it was an opportunistic event.
However I blame republicans most because they led the way and are supposedly against more govt control and bigger government. Unlike the dems which seem to like bigger more controlling govt.

2001 house patriot act votes.
yea nay nv
Republican 211 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66

I think all but 2 senators voted for the patriot act.
I think one was Rion Paul and not sure of the other one, maybe it was NV?

Yep, the fear driven mania in post 911 was being fanned ver well by our pundits and government. I thought it strange at the time that our govt was working to make us more fearful as opposed to reassuring us.

And I also feel that it was an opportunistic event.
However I blame republicans most because they led the way and are supposedly against more govt control and bigger government. Unlike the dems which seem to like bigger more controlling govt.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYZn1MXS8s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYZn1MXS8s[/ame]

2001 house patriot act votes.
yea nay nv
Republican 211 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66

I think all but 2 senators voted for the patriot act.
I think one was Rion Paul and not sure of the other one, maybe it was NV?
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Feingold Nay, Landrieu Not voting

in the House
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml#N
Nay: (Italics - Dem. Non Italics - Rep.)
Baldwin, Barrett, Blumenauer, Bonior, Boucher, Brown (OH), Capuano, Clayton, Conyers, Coyne, Cummings, Davis (IL), DeFazio, DeGette, Dingell, Farr, Filner, Frank, Hastings (FL), Hilliard, Honda, Jackson (IL), Jackson-Lee (TX), Johnson, E. B., Jones (OH), Kucinich, Lee, Lewis (GA), McDermott, McGovern, McKinney, Meek (FL), Miller, George, Mink, Mollohan, Nadler, Ney, Oberstar, Olver, Otter, Owens, Pastor, Paul, Payne, Peterson (MN), Rahall, Rivers, Rush, Sabo, Sanchez, Sanders, Schakowsky, Scott, Serrano, Stark, Thompson (MS), Tierney, Udall (CO), Udall, (NM), Velazquez, Visclosky, Waters, Watson (CA), Watt (NC), Woolsey, Wu

Not Voting:
Abercrombie, Bilirakis, Burton, Clay, Cubin, Hansen, Hill, Kilpatrick, Young (AK)

Last edited:
Homeland Security seizes domain names
By Sara Jerome - 11/26/10 04:25 PM ET

The investigative arm of the Homeland Security Department appears to be shutting down websites that facilitate copyright infringement.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has seized dozens of domain names over the past few days, according to TorrentFreak.

ICE appears to be targeting sites that help Internet users download copyrighted music, as well as sites that sell bootleg goods, such as fake designer handbags.

The sites are replaced with a note from the government: "This domain named has been seized by ICE, Homeland Security Investigations."

For instance, borntrade.com, 51607.com, and amoyhy.com have each been seized.

One of the site owners told TorrentFreak that his site was shut down without any notice or warning.

Homeland Security seizes domain names - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

I told you spuuorters of Homeland Security back when that this would happen.
The reply then from the right was "If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear".

I do not have any real proplem with sutting down sites engaging in illegal activity. However this is not a Homeland Security issue.
Ot was not before the bush admin streamlined things and combined agencies.

LMAO at fools.

Notice who's in charge when all of this is happening.

This is an example of an invasive government abusing laws to suit their aims.

I really wonder why you're surprised.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlLL03lTxUc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlLL03lTxUc&feature=related[/ame]

Forum List

Back