Homeland Security seizes domain names

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Homeland Security seizes domain names
By Sara Jerome - 11/26/10 04:25 PM ET

The investigative arm of the Homeland Security Department appears to be shutting down websites that facilitate copyright infringement.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has seized dozens of domain names over the past few days, according to TorrentFreak.

ICE appears to be targeting sites that help Internet users download copyrighted music, as well as sites that sell bootleg goods, such as fake designer handbags.

The sites are replaced with a note from the government: "This domain named has been seized by ICE, Homeland Security Investigations."

For instance, borntrade.com, 51607.com, and amoyhy.com have each been seized.

One of the site owners told TorrentFreak that his site was shut down without any notice or warning.

Homeland Security seizes domain names - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

I told you spuuorters of Homeland Security back when that this would happen.
The reply then from the right was "If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear".

I do not have any real proplem with sutting down sites engaging in illegal activity. However this is not a Homeland Security issue.
Ot was not before the bush admin streamlined things and combined agencies.

LMAO at fools.

They'll just do like Pirate Bay and get offshore servers

Yepper and their names can be blocked in US net routers. A continuing battle.
This may well be how many of these were done as it seems no on site activity was required. Just route all the illegal sites to a DHS page with a generic message.
Which is I suspect what happened.

If those sites were located on US soil they deserve due process before being shut down.

Fatherland Security is not exempt from that or is it?

While many of the web domains were sites that trafficked in counterfeit brand name goods, and some others linked to copyright-infringing file-sharing materials, at least one site was a Google-like search engine, causing alarm among web freedom advocates who worry the move steps over the line into censorship.

“When a site has no tracker, carries no torrents, lists no copyright works unless someone searches for them and responds just like Google, accusing it of infringement becomes somewhat of a minefield,” writes Torrentfreak, “Unless you’re ICE Homeland Security Investigations that is.”

As of its last update, Torrentfreak counted 76 domains shut down this week.
Homeland Security’s ability to shut down sites without a court order evidently comes from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a Clinton-era law that allows Web sites to be closed on the basis of a copyright complaint. Critics have long assailed the DMCA for being too broad, as complainants don’t need to prove copyright infringement before a site can be taken down.
News of the shutdowns has some observers wondering whether the US really needs COICA, the anti-counterfeiting bill that passed through a Senate committee with unanimous approval last week. That bill would allow the federal government to block access to Web sites that attorneys general deem to have infringed on copyright.
“Domain seizures coming under the much debated ‘censorship bill’ COICA? Who needs it?” quips Torrentfreak.
However, COICA would allow the government to block access to Web sites located anywhere in the world, while Homeland Security’s take-downs are limited to servers inside the United States. Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said he would place a hold on COICA, effectively killing the bill at least until the new congressional session next year.

Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order | The Vigilant Citizen

Apparently downloading Britney Spears is a threat to national security.

that is why my post on DHS becoming fatherland security.

Illegal perhaps, threats to US security NO.

thanks right wingers.
I suspect this has less to do with rightwingers per se and more to do with corporate money changing hands somewhere

just a guess

It has to do with the Patriot Act and Bush combining agencies.
Well the fact that DHS did it anyway.

that is why my post on DHS becoming fatherland security.

Illegal perhaps, threats to US security NO.

thanks right wingers.
I suspect this has less to do with rightwingers per se and more to do with corporate money changing hands somewhere

just a guess

It has to do with the Patriot Act and Bush combining agencies.
Well the fact that DHS did it anyway.

Actually, this is based on the DMCA and the new copyright treaty that Obama is secretly negotiating. It is secret because it involves national security, because the entertainment industry heavily supported Obama during his election.

The fact that uscitizen insists on exclusively blaming the right for this further proves my assertion that uscitizen is a partisan hack.

true story :thup:

While I too wonder that Homeland Security is involved in shutting down these illegal pirated content providers, I applaude that they were shut down.

I also question why the Coast Guard is now a department in that organization.

Forum List

Back