Homebrewing

I am. In fact, I have a gallon carboy of apple juice and cherry juice on the ferment right now. But you are probably the last person on this website that i'd have this conversation with.

I am. In fact, I have a gallon carboy of apple juice and cherry juice on the ferment right now. But you are probably the last person on this website that i'd have this conversation with.

Does he make his own because he's too young to get in bars? (remember, he's 16 after all..........:eusa_whistle:)

I used to be into home growing but the local police have shown me the error of my ways.

It's so much cheaper than home brewing, until the police decide they can enter your home without a warrant and the charges still stick, know what I mean?

This weekend i am putting up some wheat beer.

i make a couple of concoctions.

A real hoppy amber wheat fermented with honey.
A lighter wheat fermented with fresh raspberries (or huckleberries when i can get them)

• Banned

Do you really believe that I care what you think? Beat it.

Does he make his own because he's too young to get in bars? (remember, he's 16 after all..........:eusa_whistle:)

Refer to above, and recall that I had a birthday two weeks ago. Didn't you FedEx your gift?

...And yes, all underage YR activists make a conscious effort to homebrew at least once.

I'll be trying a method given to me by a fellow YR activist next week.

"I boil 100 grams of Dry Malt Extract in a Liter of water in a flask with a stir bar and 1/4 tsp of liquid yeast nutrient.

I cool the starter down to around 70F and add the packet or vial of liquid yeast.

I then put the mixture or "starter" on my homemade stir plate to keep it constantly aerated for and cover it with aluminum foil. This starter grows the yeast to a higher population and makes them healthier for fermenting an entire batch of beer.

after a day of the starter on the stirplate, I put it in the fridge to let it settle out for a few days. on the day I brew I take it out of the fridge and put it in my fermentation fridge to bring it up to fermentation temps. (mid 60's)

I get an 8 gallon pot and add 1 gallon of water. I put some grains (the types of grains vary depending on the style of beer) in a muslin (cheesecloth) bag and steep in the 1 gallon of water at 160 degrees F for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes is up, add 5 more gallons of water and bring it to a boil. I then shut off the heat and add malt extract. The Malt extract will be most of the sugar for the beer. Stir in the malt extract then turn the heat back on. When it comes to a boil a large amount of foam will rise up. Decrease the heat until the foam subsides.

After the foam subsides, add some of the hops in the recipe. This is my 60 minute addition because it boils for a total time of 60 minutes. Start a timer counting down from 60 minutes.
With 15 minutes left in the boil, I add my wort chiller (a coil of copper tubing) and Irish Moss (a clarifier). If I have a 15 minute hop addition, I add it along with the other stuff.

At 0 minutes I cut off the heat and add any hops that need to be added at 0 minutes. I then turn the cold water on and run it through the copper chiller. After the beer gets down to around 65 I turn off the the water and transfer the beer into the fermenting bucket that has been sanitized. I add the yeast at the bottom of the starter flask to the beer in the bucket. I close the bucket and put an airlock through the hole in the lid. Fill the airlock with vodka to keep germs from coming in but letting air out.

I put the bucket in my ferment fridge. I set the thermostat to about 65. I leave the bucket in the fridge for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks I boil some sugar in water and put it in a separate bucket with a spigot. I then transfer the beer through siphon tubing into the bucket with the spigot. After the siphon is complete, attach tubing with a bottle filler onto the spigot and open it. I push down on the bottom of the bottle with the filler and beer flows out. When the bottle is full, I take the filler out, cap the bottle and move on to the next one. I repeat that about 50 times.

I then let the beer sit in the bottles for 2 weeks to let them carbonate."

Cursory examination indicates that such a method would be sound. :cool:

This weekend i am putting up some wheat beer.

i make a couple of concoctions.

A real hoppy amber wheat fermented with honey.
A lighter wheat fermented with fresh raspberries (or huckleberries when i can get them)

Have you tried mead? A friend of mine makes a cherry vanilla mead that's to die for.

Forum List

Back