home remedies that work!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
honey: if you have allerigies...get local honey...as local to your location as you can....take one tablespoon a day...it will either work or not work in about 3 days...the key is local honey...

also you can put honey on a wound...anti bacteria

poison ivy:

get in a hot shower...the hot water brings out whatever it is that makes you itch...you will itch like hades for a minute or two then the itch is gone for hours...

baking soda in a bath will help kids with chickenpoxs pour the entire box in the bath and let the kid sit in there as long as you can...helps for about 6 to 8 hours....do it before bed..and cut their nails as short as you can

I often use honey on cuts.

It is an excellent antibiotic.

Didn't know about the honey for allergies theory, though.

It might work on some allergies people have to the flowering plants which the bees are making honey from.

Beyond that? I cannot understand why that would help.

Homemade cough syrup.

Chop up an onion fine. Put the chopped onion in a jar. Put sugar on top of the onion, and leave over night. In the morning, there will be a clear syrup in the bottom of the jar. Strain the syrup. It worked better than anything that was over the counter when I was a child.

Possum fat...
Great for chest colds. Take a medium-sized young possum. Skin him and of course, remove the inner workings. Put the possum in a pot full of water on the stove. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for about 30 minutes. There will be a foamy substance that comes to the top of the boiling water. Use a wooden spoon to skim this material off of the top of the boiling water and place this stuff in a glass bowl. Let it cool and then put it in the fridge over night. In the morning it will be set just like jello does when it cools. Rub this stuff on your chest and your cold will go away in about two weeks. Works very well for everybody except the possum. Be aware though that when in a crowd people will look at you funny...

it wont work with refined honey...but raw honey has a lot of pollen...which helps..for some reason...

Yeah, that seems plausible.

Introducing the pollen in very small quantities gives the body time to learn to react to the pollen without massively overreacting to it.

I don't have allergies, so I cannot test this on myself, but if I did, I'd certainly consider trying it.

Want a home remedy for having sweaty armpits?

Stop using underarm deodorant.

DSeriously the shit's poison, plus it either merely masks the smell or represses sweating which comes back with a vengence after the stuff wears off.

Seriously folks, that shit is truly bad for you.

Like Head and shoulders really causes dandriff?

Deodorants cause body odor.

My daughter got a small bout of poison ivy or something recently. She read that if you spray hairspray in it, it relieves the itch. She tried it and it worked.

I am at a loss as to why and how natural honey would do anything to relieve allergies. Unless it works as an anti-histamine.

I wonder if, when put up to a legitimate scientific study, it would relieve the placebo effect?

At any rate, one local remedy that folks swear by down here is to slap chewing tobacco over wasp or bee stings (dig out the stinger first). Baking soda supposidly also works.

I am at a loss as to why and how natural honey would do anything to relieve allergies. Unless it works as an anti-histamine.

It may be working, as I said above, not as an antihistmine, but rather as a sort of immunization to overreacting to pollen.

Just as the body learns how to deal with pathogens by introducing dead or weak ones into the body, so too the body might be learning how to NOT overreact (with histimines) to pollens if they are introduced in sufficiently small enough quantanties (as they would be in raw honey)

I wonder if, when put up to a legitimate scientific study, it would relieve the placebo effect?

Me, too.

Sounds like an excellent study to undertake.

I often use honey on cuts.

It is an excellent antibiotic.

Didn't know about the honey for allergies theory, though.

It might work on some allergies people have to the flowering plants which the bees are making honey from.

Beyond that? I cannot understand why that would help.

Ppl pack horse's wounds with sugar sometimes. I've never done it, but I've heard it works. I wouldn't think it would be great in the summer, it would draw flies.

I use baking soda in the tub for kids, too, strolling. I used it a lot myself when I was pregnant and my skin would be itchy. It's the primary ingredient in bath salts.

Dishsoap on cat scratches. No matter how slight, they will always get infected. If my kids get scratched, we immediately rub dishsoap right on the scratch and then rinse it off...no infection.

Plain yogurt in the shower is good for hair and skin. (Topically...don't eat it in there, blech.)

Gargle with salt water to ward off a sore throat.

Also use saline to keep sinuses from cracking and clogging up....the dr. taught me that when my daughter was a baby and had that awful respiratory stuff and was on oxygen for 3 months. A tiny bit of salt, water, and an eyedropper up the nose. She'd snarf that through and it would clear out her sinuses. She'd sneeze out all the garbage that was loose, and it loosened the dry stuff and she'd sneeze that out eventually, too.

Also works on adults with dry sinuses, or headcolds. Dr said to use enough to snort through to your throat a couple or three times a day.

Sand works to scour pots and pans. Also, if you use a cast iron skillet, don't use soap on it...just very hot water. My mom used to fill them with water after using them (if they had food stuck to them) and let it simmer on the stove, then scrub and rinse out in the sink. Put it in a campfire once a year to burn off the deposits on the outside. Never put in a dishwasher, never stack it under other pots and pans (especially if they're wet) and keep it seasoned, though after a few years, you won't have to season it except when you're cooking.

It may be working, as I said above, not as an antihistmine, but rather as a sort of immunization to overreacting to pollen.

Just as the body learns how to deal with pathogens by introducing dead or weak ones into the body, so too the body might be learning how to NOT overreact (with histimines) to pollens if they are introduced in sufficiently small enough quantanties (as they would be in raw honey)

No, that doesn't make sense. Your Ig-E antibodies are floating around in your body with arms that bind molecules in a lock and key configuration. If two of them bind an allergin, and then a mast cell, histamine is released.

Immunization makes more antibodies w/ a specific configuration for a viral antigen. Creating more Ig-E antibodies would only increase the allergic response. That is one reason why people with severe allergies need a few exposures before it becomes an anaphylactic event.

Allergies are a pradoxical event that we don't quit understand. It works in counter-intuitive manner.

Me, too.

Sounds like an excellent study to undertake.

Home remedies are all good and fine. The problem with many of them though, is that they don't withstand any sort of scientific scrutiny when put up to a real scientific test.

At any rate, one local remedy that folks swear by down here is to slap chewing tobacco over wasp or bee stings (dig out the stinger first). Baking soda supposidly also works.

It has to do with the pollinization in your area, you have to get it locally. I had heard though that you take the honeycomb and chew on it, not just eat the honey.

It has to do with the pollinization in your area, you have to get it locally. I had heard though that you take the honeycomb and chew on it, not just eat the honey.

At best, it sounds like it is just provoking an allergic response in those who are allergic and ruling out one in those who aren't.

His notation that it be local honey makes me think it may be something along the lines of desensitization, promoting an immune response to the allergen. (just a guess lol)

Perhaps this is due to the alkalinity of saliva and chewing tobacco / baking soda? (is bee venom acidic?) The nicotine would also constrict blood vessels and has an analgesic effect.

His notation that it be local honey makes me think it may be something along the lines of desensitization, promoting an immune response to the allergen. (just a guess lol)

That makes sense. I guess if they can do it with penicillan, they can do it with other things.

Perhaps this is due to the alkalinity of saliva and chewing tobacco / baking soda? (is bee venom acidic?) The nicotine would also constrict blood vessels and has an analgesic effect.[/QUOTE]

I think the nicotine works as you suggested. I also think the granular chew sucks out some of the venom. As for the baking soda, my only guess would be some sort of acid-base reaction, so I would assume venom is acidic.

Forum List

Back