Home Photo Printer

Pale Rider said:
I'm going to try and gently side step in here... ahem, and agree with sitarro. I also have an Epson printer. It's a newer one and it prints in the highest resolution of any sold, which is 5,740 X 1970 dpi. The ink is Epsons own, and it won't run when used with Epson photo paper if water is spilled on it. It's print borderless, poster, banner, two sided, on and on. I love it.

That's all fine and good, but it's still cheaper in the long run to have them printed at a lab once you buy the printer and all the consumables.

:thup:

misterblu said:
That's all fine and good, but it's still cheaper in the long run to have them printed at a lab once you buy the printer and all the consumables.

:thup:

Probably is, but I like the convience of printing at home, what I want, when I want, how big I want, etc..

Pale Rider said:
Probably is, but I like the convience of printing at home, what I want, when I want, how big I want, etc..

You can do all of that, minus the at home part, at a lab. ;)

Pale Rider said:
...but I like the convience of printing at home, what I want, ...how big I want, etc..

...up to about 8x10, generally. ;)

Don't forget - walking your photos to the car, and a drop of rain lands on a print, you'll lose part of your image. :)

dmp said:
...up to about 8x10, generally. ;)

Don't forget - walking your photos to the car, and a drop of rain lands on a print, you'll lose part of your image. :)

That may not be true. I've not bothered verifying it, but it's been suggested that certain Epson inks are waterproof?

misterblu said:
That may not be true. I've not bothered verifying it, but it's been suggested that certain Epson inks are waterproof?

They are. I spilled BEER on one, and it didn't run. They also had several prints in Best Buy when I bought mine that they demonstrated the 'no run' on.

I can print posters with my Epson, but as you probably know, they'd be in sections of borderless 8 X 10.

My Epson is a scanner, printer, copier, model CX6600.

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/all_in_one_products/Stylus_CX6600.htm

Pale Rider said:
They are. I spilled BEER on one, and it didn't run. They also had several prints in Best Buy when I bought mine that they demonstrated the 'no run' on.

I can print posters with my Epson, but as you probably know, they'd be in sections of borderless 8 X 10.

My Epson is a scanner, printer, copier, model CX6600.

http://www.epson.co.uk/products/all_in_one_products/Stylus_CX6600.htm

same as pale i want control.....then if i want something super high end i will outsource it....when it comes to pics, with me it is about control of results not cost.....anyone know if HPs are any good?

manu1959 said:
same as pale i want control.....then if i want something super high end i will outsource it....when it comes to pics, with me it is about control of results not cost.....anyone know if HPs are any good?

I had two HP's before I bought my Epson manu. The last one was a 'something 932'. The ink was expensive, and it ran if 'water' hit it. It would also smudge, and the new HP's, you have take out the regular ink cartridges and put in a 'photo' cartridge to print photos. What a hassle. The ink cartridges for my Epson are $13 apiece, and you don't have to take them out and put something else in to print photo. Can't beat that. And not sure without researching, but I think the highest resolution of an HP is 4,800 X 1,200. The Epson has that beat.

Pale Rider said:
I had two HP's before I bought my Epson manu. The last one was a 'something 932'. The ink was expensive, and it ran if 'water' hit it. It would also smudge, and the new HP's, you have take out the regular ink cartridges and put in a 'photo' cartridge to print photos. What a hassle. The ink cartridges for my Epson are $13 apiece, and you don't have to take them out and put something else in to print photo. Can't beat that. And not sure without researching, but I think the highest resolution of an HP is 4,800 X 1,200. The Epson has that beat.

looking like an epson....which model do you recomend?

manu1959 said:

Control over what, exactly? :dunno:

misterblu said:

Is this a real question or are you pretending ignorance?
How about control over sizes you may want to print rather than the standard bullshit from a Costco lab.

Let say for instance manu has created a cd of some of his favorite photographs, maybe he may want to layout a cover insert for the cd that would measure 4.6"x9.5''. Or he may want to experiment with different papers. He might even want to do a wall of photographs of various sizes with custom cut mats and framing.

The big question would be why are you guys pushing cheap, crappy ass auto lab work. Why are you guys assuming that manu doesn't have his own reasons for a desktop printer? You and D have spent over 5 grand on camera equipment and you are suggesting someone else needs to save a few pennies on lousy prints from Costco? Why? I assume that manu is smart enough to know that cheap labs are available and is only asking advice of others that might have been screwed by a company like Lexmark that truly overcharges for their tiny cartridges of ink. He is asking for experiences with numerous printers that the people on this board have used, why assume that his photography isn't worthy of quality lab work at any price. He didn't ask what was the cheapest way to get prints done.

The ink cartridges for my Epson cost right around 45 dollars for the color and black. Epson's premium Glossy paper cost 15 dollars for 20 sheets less if you buy it in 50 sheet packs. Assuming you will only print the 20 sheets with the cartridges of ink(You can usually get twice as many 8.5x11 with the black and almost twice with the color, depends on the sizes of the actual images)it would be around $3.25 per 8.5"x11", where are you going to get a better price than that. Also, I have to ask why the big concern about waterproofing of prints, are you guys swimming with them? What lab prints would you walk around in the rain with?

Besides the convenience of having a printer at home is the fun it can be for teaching lessons to kids, getting them interested in photography, printing up their homework, or even printing articles or a map off of the internet.....Are you and D telling us that you don't use a printer at home? Again I have to ask why?

You really come off like a jerk most of the time. Was all that really necessary?

First of all, there are pros out there using Costco's lab, as well as other 'auto' labs. They use a Noritsu model 3111, and Fuji Crystal Archive Paper at my local Costco photo labs. They supply enhanced color profiles for their printers, and if you're serious about making sure your images look correct, you'll have configured for proper color managment for your monitor. That way, what you see is what you get. You're just ASSuming that it's 'crappy ass auto lab work'. I can assure you, the prints are beautiful. You're just being an elitist again.

Second, he was asking for a PHOTO printer. The one special case you're speaking of is not a PHOTO, it's a CD cover. I would argue that any standard photo size can be printed at a lab, many of which can't be produced on a home printer. 2X3 uncut wallet sheets, 4X6, 5X7, 8X10, 8X12, 11X14, 12X18 are all available within an hour. 16X20 and 20X30 take a bit longer. Can you print a 12 X 18" print at home for $3 a pop? Can you even PRINT a 16X20 or 20X30 on your average home photo printer? Didn't think so. Yes, you read that right. You can get a focking 12X18 printed as a real photo (not inkjet) for $2.99. An 8X10 costs $1.49. A 16X20 print or 20X30 poster is $9.99. You can get your prints in glossy or lustre paper. You can even order those pretty little photo books you are so fond of.

If a person is capable of cutting their own mats, and framing their own pictures, they are certainly capable of cutting the unprinted white space off of a standard print if they want an odd size.

Basically, the only 'benefit' you get from having a photo printer at home is convenience. I don't consider being able to print out documents a plus. If I want to print a map, or my kid's homework I'll use a printer that is meant for that, a b&w or color laser.

The downside to using a home photo printer is that the prints are inferior, they cost more, and you're limited in the sizes that you can print.

I'm guessing D mentioned it for the same reason I do. I tell EVERYONE I know that photo printers are a waste for the myriad of reasons I've already mentioned.

I have no idea why you're so fixated on how much money either of us spent on our camera gear. Frankly, it's none of your business and you just make yourself look jealous and petty by continuously bringing it up. Seriously, WTF does it matter what either of us spent on our camera gear?

In summary, :finger:

sitarro said:
Is this a real question or are you pretending ignorance?
How about control over sizes you may want to print rather than the standard bullshit from a Costco lab.

Let say for instance manu has created a cd of some of his favorite photographs, maybe he may want to layout a cover insert for the cd that would measure 4.6"x9.5''. Or he may want to experiment with different papers. He might even want to do a wall of photographs of various sizes with custom cut mats and framing.

The big question would be why are you guys pushing cheap, crappy ass auto lab work. Why are you guys assuming that manu doesn't have his own reasons for a desktop printer? You and D have spent over 5 grand on camera equipment and you are suggesting someone else needs to save a few pennies on lousy prints from Costco? Why? I assume that manu is smart enough to know that cheap labs are available and is only asking advice of others that might have been screwed by a company like Lexmark that truly overcharges for their tiny cartridges of ink. He is asking for experiences with numerous printers that the people on this board have used, why assume that his photography isn't worthy of quality lab work at any price. He didn't ask what was the cheapest way to get prints done.

The ink cartridges for my Epson cost right around 45 dollars for the color and black. Epson's premium Glossy paper cost 15 dollars for 20 sheets less if you buy it in 50 sheet packs. Assuming you will only print the 20 sheets with the cartridges of ink(You can usually get twice as many 8.5x11 with the black and almost twice with the color, depends on the sizes of the actual images)it would be around $3.25 per 8.5"x11", where are you going to get a better price than that. Also, I have to ask why the big concern about waterproofing of prints, are you guys swimming with them? What lab prints would you walk around in the rain with?

Besides the convenience of having a printer at home is the fun it can be for teaching lessons to kids, getting them interested in photography, printing up their homework, or even printing articles or a map off of the internet.....Are you and D telling us that you don't use a printer at home? Again I have to ask why?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
sitarro said:
it would be around $3.25 per 8.5"x11", where are you going to get a better price than that?

For $3.25 I can get TWO 8x12s at costco, and have $.01 left over, after tax.

D is telling you for things which matter - things which are important enough to care (Photos, kids' projects, whatever) I cough up a few bux worth of time and Gas, and get shit printed the RIGHT way.

What has turned you into such a jaded, bitter man?

misterblu said:

My brother-in-law has a photo printer, but doesn't use it often due to costs. When he does use it, it's mainly for special occasions when photos are taken and family is around. He prints the photos and gives them out to whomever wants a copy. Sometimes he uses it to print one or two photos he wants right away - I guess that's control too. :D Other than that, he said it was a novelty that wore off fast and usually goes to the drug store to when he has a lot of photos.

Hmmm... I'm not passionate enough about this to get all worked up about it, but...

I will say though, I've been more than happy with the quality of prints I get off my Epson. I've compared them to 'store' prints from prior when I used a 35mm Canon AE-1 single action reflex. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I guess to the 'critical' eye there is one, but I'm just not in that catagory when it comes to photography.

For me, the convience of being able to take a picture with my digital camera, then come home and instantly edit and print it is a nice thing.

I won't argue if a home printer is as good as store prints because I don't know. If I'm wrong, then I am. But while you're in your car fighting traffic, I'm sitting at home in my comfortable chair with a cold one, listening to 'chill out' on my LaunchCast Radio leisurely printing out a picture.

Isn't that worth something? Especially to someone who's not a total photo buff that expects ultimate results?

That's the whole idea behind a 'home printer' anyway... convience.

I don't generally get worked up about something so trivial either, and I'm not.

I'm just quickly becoming tired of sitarro and his condescending tone.

Pale Rider said:
Hmmm... I'm not passionate enough about this to get all worked up about it, but...

I will say though, I've been more than happy with the quality of prints I get off my Epson. I've compared them to 'store' prints from prior when I used a 35mm Canon AE-1 single action reflex. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I guess to the 'critical' eye there is one, but I'm just not in that catagory when it comes to photography.

For me, the convience of being able to take a picture with my digital camera, then come home and instantly edit and print it is a nice thing.

I won't argue if a home printer is as good as store prints because I don't know. If I'm wrong, then I am. But while you're in your car fighting traffic, I'm sitting at home in my comfortable chair with a cold one, listening to 'chill out' on my LaunchCast Radio leisurely printing out a picture.

Isn't that worth something? Especially to someone who's not a total photo buff that expects ultimate results?

That's the whole idea behind a 'home printer' anyway... convience.

misterblu said:

run test prints after i mess with photo shop....hand out pictures on the spot at family outings / parties...make my own picture...same reason i had a dark room in the old days.....

misterblu said:
I'm just quickly becoming tired of sitarro and his condescending tone.

DMP and Mister Blue,

I stand corrected, I will never, ever,EVER dispute either of you because it is obvious you both know everything, can do no wrong and are easily the most talented individuals on the planet. Please accept my very real and sincerest apologies for even thinking for a second that I had the right to voice my opinion much less talk back to you guys. In the future I will be sure to keep my bitter, old fart opinions about computers, cars, driving fast, and photography to myself. Please forgive me, I just didn't realize what I was doing or who, in reality, I was addressing in my feeble rants.

Can I still have permission to check into these threads with the hope of learning just a tiny bit of what you guys know, that is if an idiot like myself could possibly hope to understand the very deep and technically complex words of wisdom that you are so willing to share with the great unwashed..... praise be to Allah and of course Mr.Blue and DMP.:bow3: :bow3: :bow3: :bye1:

Oh and yes, of course I am jealous, I am an old man whose time has past and I get to watch two very young guys with the whole world ahead of them that, at such a tender age, know everything that is worth knowing, and have superior technology to utilize that we old shits could only have dreamed of(I remember 4 track tapes and Instamatic cameras). While we were stuck with having to study and practice for years to get to a level you guys passed while still in diapers, you men have advanced to a God like state. To only have a wee bit of the looks, talent and knowledge you guys possess would be glorious but alas I could never hope to be so fortunate. I can only pray that the good Lord will get me through the rage and heartache that is my pathetic existence.

Oh, one other thing, if either of you could spare the time could you please grant me a heart and a brain.....please???

One thing I have noticed about people stricken with an Oz complex, they lose their sense of humor, it's kinda sad really. Was this post a little too over the top?:happy2: :cool:

Forum List

Back