Home made spaghetti sauce?

Easy Peasy in a rush version
EVOO
Onion (Small)
2 carrots
1 cup decent Chianti
crushed Tomato (Cento, Maranzalla, or similar)

Heat (I go heavy with it 1/4 cup or so) EVOO
Mince onion, finely chop carrots
until onions clarify
add chianti reduce for 1-2 minutes
add sauce simmer about 20 minutes

The wine really makes the sauce, btw. Get enough to drink with your gf. Burgundy works; so does merlot. Actually, any wine will work, but use a kind you are willing to drink. The fun of spaghetti on a date is some goes into the sauce, some goes into the chef, some goes into the guest. By the time you're done, you'll be laughing your butts off.

Just helpful hints. You have plenty of recipes of goodies you use. boedicca's looks good.

Add a small can of sliced black olives. I use 3/8 slices of my onions, and also Bell pepper (about a 1/2 of one). Not sure if she mentioned garlic "powder." Not granuals. Or cut a clove of garlic up & cook with the meat. That way if she doesn't want onions/bells, they are big enough to set aside.

I use a couple splashes of olive oil with cooking the meat (50% mild sausage/50% lean hamburger mixed by hand first, with basil & oregano do in prep-bowl) in a large fry pan, and never drain off the oil. It comes to the top during cooking and you skim it off then if you chose. I just leave it in as the olive oil enhances the Italian taste.

I never add the wine until the very last thing (5-10 min.), as that thins your sauce. You don't need a whole of wine, just a 1/4 of cup sprinkled around, and then stir it in.

Try keeping your sauce thick by draining off the mushroom water, add the tomato water, or put into a cup and add as needed during the simmering. I leave my lid on the pan, and heat below a boil. No pops. And stir occassionally.

I add about 1/4 cup of olive oil (cooking oil/ or butter) to my spaghetti water, with a table spoon of salt to help get a rapid boil. Stir the spaghetti and lift up on it out of the water to let the oil coat it. This will help prevent it sticking after you drain it.

Drain your pan of spaghetti into a strainer in the sink, toss the strainer lightly to remove the moisture, and then just set the strainer with spaghetti back on the pot to serve from.

Last edited:
I do put olives in "guest" spaghetti sauce. I love them; my younger kids, not so much.

I put the wine in fairly early; it reduces quickly.

I don't remove the oil/fat either. Generally speaking, there isn't much anyway.

I made baked spaghetti this weekend, incidentally....nothing like what we're talking about here, though....

Hamburger, italian seasoning, cloves of garlic, salt, lotsa pepper, 1 can of cheapo spaghetti sauce; 1 can of something else..I don't remember if it was tomato sauce or another brand of spaghetti sauce. No olive oil, no olives, no wine. Onion.

Angelhair pasta, a lot of it....mix it all up, a couple of handfulls of parmesan cheese, and throw it in a 13x9 greased pan, put a lot of grated cheese (I used mozzarella & parmesan, but any would work) and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

It's yummy.

I add about 1/4 cup of olive oil (cooking oil/ or butter) to my spaghetti water, with a table spoon of salt to help get a rapid boil. Stir the spaghetti and lift up on it out of the water to let the oil coat it. This will help prevent it sticking after you drain it.

I never like to do that. The oil makes the pasta come out a bit gummy.

Of course, you can always drizzle a bit of oil after you've drained it and returned it to the pot, if it's sticking on you. I would just suggest to not make sticky pasta!
tongue.gif

One of the best ways is to use a bigger pot, with more water and at the most rapid boil you can. Crowded pasta will stick, as will over-cooking it. Draining it just as it's almost ready will ensure perfect pasta, since it will continue to cook for a minute after you have drained it.

Forum List

Back