Home made spaghetti sauce?

Oooh..I left out olive oil!
Use olive oil to saute the meat & veggies in!

Also use it in the noodle water.

How could I forget?

and it needs to be done the day before...so the flavors can 'marry'

I wanted to use my own ingredients like tomatos, garlic etc. I don't want to just buy the sauce from the store in a can.

DAMN!!!!!!!

YOU

GOT

IT

BAD!!!

If she likes spicy food I can help.

If not, don't do this unless you wanna break up.

Get a tube of spicy breafast sausage (not the links)
heat your suace pan, put in Extra virgin olive oil and some butter, just enough to cover the bottom
Fry sausage

If you can make salsa, do so, if not, buy some heat appropriate salsa, or get a can of Rotel tomatoes

chop rotels (whole can)
about 2 regular tomatoes
onion
2-4 garlic
get fresh
oregano
basil
and 2 bay leaves
you will have to eyeball how much wine to cook with (use a red or rose)
bell peppers
Grind down some baby carrots, don't chop, you want the flavor not the texture

Get a loaf of french bread, slice in have, spread with garlic/olive oil butter and toast in the oven

If she loves you, she will love the effort, even if the food sucks.

I just wing it.

Tomato sauce
Onions
Garlic
Oregano
Salt
Sugar
Throw in a little VERY DRY SHERRY

But you must use this type of tomato...

08736697000_20100219080338890

It's got a lot of flavor. It's in the organic section. Get the bigger can. Add the same amount of just regular crushed tomato.

"If you make it...she will come."

Only a masochist or somebody who REALLY doesn't want to go to the store will peel their own tomaters, lol..

ground meat: beef, turkey, pork, venison, or mix of any of those (about two pounds)
one medium onion
minced garlic
oregano
salt
pepper
hot sauce
sugar
two cans of tomato sauce
one can of tomato paste
one can of tomato puree

Start to brown meat, use oil if meat is dry. Add onion, chopped. Pretend you have to eat all the meat in the pan and season it with garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Finish browning meat. Drain if liquid fat is in pan. Add cans of tomato product. Stir well and add spices again: garlic, salt, pepper, oregano. Now add a dash of hot sauce and about a tablespoon of sugar. Leave simmer for a least one hour.

Options: green peppers (add after meat browned), mushrooms, cheese, wine, etc.

It is good the first day, better after that.

Lol...

My mom always put sugar in it too. I don't like it myself.

And sun dried tomatoes in spaghetti sauce is sacrilege!

You can saute all the veggies; but if you're going to simmer it for a long time, all that does is make the colors wash out and the mushrooms to shrink way, way down.

Actually a pinch of sugar helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes making it easier on the digestive system. Problem with most people is they add too much.

I know, but in recipes that are cooked long enough and have enough other ingredients, it's really not an issue. I've never had any problem with acid-y red meat sauce.

I just wing it.

Tomato sauce
Onions
Garlic
Oregano
Salt
Sugar
Throw in a little VERY DRY SHERRY

But you must use this type of tomato...

08736697000_20100219080338890

It's got a lot of flavor. It's in the organic section. Get the bigger can. Add the same amount of just regular crushed tomato.

"If you make it...she will come."
Those are the best canned tomatoes and they come 'no salt added'. I pick them up at Whole Foods by the case. ;)

I made a big batch of meat sauce over the weekend - here's a smaller quantity version:

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/2 hot italian sausage
2 - 14 ounce cans of whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
Good red wine
2 large onions
A Lot of Garlic (I'd use at least a bulb :) )
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
Dash of sugar
EDIT: A Big Dollop Of Olive Oil!

Crush tomatoes with their juice in a dutch oven. Add tomato paste and sauce. Stir up.

In a frying pan, brown ground beef. Add to tomato "slop". Brown cut up sausage, add to pot. Sautee diced onion and minced garlic. Add to pot.

Add approximately 1 cup of red wine, season to taste. Let it cook on low heat - add mushrooms, continue cooking until it is "done".

Last edited:
That's almost the same as my basic recipe.

I add the peppers and olives for company, lol.

OLIVE OIL! YOU GOTTA HAVE OLIVE OIL! Even if it's just a splash added to the sauce after it's all put together.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that - a big dollop of olive oil is absolutely necessary!

Paul Neman's Marinara is all I ever use. Italian cooking is hard, I should say getting it right is hard.

I think it's super easy! It's all about the ingredients....

I used to make gnocchi as well but haven't done that for years.

Also made what we called Italian steak; you take round or cube steak, dredge in flour seasoned with italian herbs or italian bread crumbs; heat up a lot of olive oil, saute a load of sliced garlic (we liked fairly big pieces, and a lot of it). Fry the meat in the oil to brown; take out each panful when it's brown (not when it's "done") when you've browned it all, put the meat back in and if you like dump a little more (a couple of T) flour in with them, to absorb the oil and make a little roux; then pour wine over the whole mess (we're talking cups of wine, enough that you can simmer for 20 minutes or so). Turn the heat down so it's just simmering, and let it simmer until the meat is done, tender, and the wine has reduced to a rich sauce.

Lotsa salt in there at some point, and pepper.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Serve with plain buttered or red pasta, or even roasted potatoes and a huge salad and (of course) garlic bread.

Lol...

My mom always put sugar in it too. I don't like it myself.

And sun dried tomatoes in spaghetti sauce is sacrilege!

You can saute all the veggies; but if you're going to simmer it for a long time, all that does is make the colors wash out and the mushrooms to shrink way, way down.
You should put sugar and salt in your sauce, but easy on the salt.

Sugar cuts the acidity in the tomatoes.

I made a big batch of meat sauce over the weekend - here's a smaller quantity version:

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/2 hot italian sausage
2 - 14 ounce cans of whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
Good red wine
2 large onions
A Lot of Garlic (I'd use at least a bulb :) )
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
Dash of sugar
EDIT: A Big Dollop Of Olive Oil!

Crush tomatoes with their juice in a dutch oven. Add tomato paste and sauce. Stir up.

In a frying pan, brown ground beef. Add to tomato "slop". Brown cut up sausage, add to pot. Sautee diced onion and minced garlic. Add to pot.

Add approximately 1 cup of red wine, season to taste. Let it cook on low heat - add mushrooms, continue cooking until it is "done".

That ingredient list is very close to mine. I brown half the meat with a sliced onion and all the spices, and use that as the base for the canned diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce. This way, the meat is seasoned instead of the sauce, and any excess seasoning goes away with the discarded grease.

Forum List

Back