Home made spaghetti sauce?

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
I was thinking of surprising my girlfriend and cooking something and I was thinking of making my own spaghetti sauce, any of you guys have any recipes you would care to share?

Here ya go:

Italian sausage, either bulk or links..if you use links, cut them up. I like sweet, but spicy works too.
Canned whole or diced tomatoes (be careful not to get the Mexican kind with chiles...and if you can, get stuff canned in a jar because I just heard that canned tomatoes in the tin are very, very bad for you thanks to the zinc coating on the inside of the can!)
1 can tomato sauce (again, you might as well by the jarred plain spaghetti sauce in glass jars) and 1 can tomato paste.
Fresh garlic
Chopped onion
Sliced mushrooms
Italian Seasoning (or use copious amounts of basil & oregano)
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated and the kind in the green plastic thing you find on the store shelves
Green pepper
black olives
Good red wine

In skillet, brown the meat; add onion at end of cook time and cook until they're transluscent; drain off fat. Deglaze w/a cup or so of wine, pour meat, wine and onions into a big pot.

Add the rest of the ingredients except cheese...everything is to taste. I use full jars of everything..olives, a whole pepper, a full container of mushrooms; but you might not like pepper, or mushrooms, or olives; you can use less or not use them at all. Add some more wine, now or later, it doesn't matter. Or not at all. I use a lot of fresh garlic (minced) and a lot of black pepper.

Bring up to a boil, mash/cut up the tomatoes if they're whole ones; bring heat down to a simmer...

put a lid on it and simmer for a long time, stirring frequently. The last hour before dinner, move the sauce to a back burner and put another big pot full of SALTED water to boil on the front burner (for noodles).

Take the lid off the sauce, it should reduce some probably.

Put the noodles on when the water hits a rolling boil, and stir or use a utensil to separate strands as needed.

Boil for 20 minutes or more; strain and rinse if you don't want them starchy; I personally like starchy noodles, the sauce sticks to them better.

The last few minutes pop your garlic bread into the oven and put the green-containered parmesan into the sauce while stirring. Do it to taste; the cheese will lighten the sauce and thicken it; I like it. If that's not your cup of tea, you don't have to add it. Keep stirring until all the cheese is melted and blended.

Your toast is ready. Put noodles in a pasta bowl and put a big scoop of the sauce on top; sprinkle with the grated parmesan, serve with the garlic bread and wine.

This is the way I made spaghetti for my Italian husband, and he loved it.

The wine really makes the sauce, btw. Get enough to drink with your gf. Burgundy works; so does merlot. Actually, any wine will work, but use a kind you are willing to drink. The fun of spaghetti on a date is some goes into the sauce, some goes into the chef, some goes into the guest. By the time you're done, you'll be laughing your butts off.

no no its not

use roma tomatoes
shittake mushrooms
green peppers
garlic
fresh organo

fresh basil
get a mix of ground pork and beef...1 part pork to two parks beef

you can make meatballs....or brown it off..

meatballs...mix a strong parm cheese in there with onions....fry them suckers....

honey hush i am southern we fry everything...sure it just cooks the cheese out but its damn good

but i digress....if you brown everything off.....you just add it...

cook down your tomatoes after peeling them (important) o pick up some sun dried tomatoes we will use them instead of paste

so saute the onion, the peppers, the mushrooms....pour into cooked down tomatoes....add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste

now let this begin to cook down....if you just browned off meat you can toss it in now too....add some wine.....get a nice wine...dont cook with anything you wouldnt drink....now here is where allie went wrong

you need to add sugar.....just a bit...a couple of tablespoons to cut the acidity of the wine.....

*this is why allie is just a good cook...i am a damned good cook*

if you do meatballs add them but still let everything sit overnight....i dont even put it in the fridge....just let it sit ...then heat up and eat

now you should consider making your own pasta and bread....i have never made pasta....do you have a pasta machine?

no no its not

use roma tomatoes
shittake mushrooms
green peppers
garlic
fresh organo

fresh basil
get a mix of ground pork and beef...1 part pork to two parks beef

you can make meatballs....or brown it off..

meatballs...mix a strong parm cheese in there with onions....fry them suckers....

honey hush i am southern we fry everything...sure it just cooks the cheese out but its damn good

but i digress....if you brown everything off.....you just add it...

cook down your tomatoes after peeling them (important) o pick up some sun dried tomatoes we will use them instead of paste

so saute the onion, the peppers, the mushrooms....pour into cooked down tomatoes....add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste

now let this begin to cook down....if you just browned off meat you can toss it in now too....add some wine.....get a nice wine...dont cook with anything you wouldnt drink....now here is where allie went wrong

you need to add sugar.....just a bit...a couple of tablespoons to cut the acidity of the wine.....

*this is why allie is just a good cook...i am a damned good cook*

if you do meatballs add them but still let everything sit overnight....i dont even put it in the fridge....just let it sit ...then heat up and eat

now you should consider making your own pasta and bread....i have never made pasta....do you have a pasta machine?

I don't have a pasta machine but what you gave me is fine for now, thank you Bones.

Lol...

My mom always put sugar in it too. I don't like it myself.

And sun dried tomatoes in spaghetti sauce is sacrilege!

You can saute all the veggies; but if you're going to simmer it for a long time, all that does is make the colors wash out and the mushrooms to shrink way, way down.

you heat it up and then turn it off.....no one said simmer it to death.....

i like the touch of sugar.....but you were never one just to mind mother lol

i have a ton of sun dried tomatoes and would rather use them than paste...plus i have a ton of shittake 'srooms

hell since he got that damned drier i got a ton of dried everything and a friend if bringing me dried venison tommorrow

mmmmm......

For a date I make it with the ingredients I listed; but for everyday, I'll use whatever is on hand...

Forum List

Back