Home loan forgiveness

There's a guy I know, in his late 50s now, both he and his wife do government contract work, always paid his bills on time, paid their taxes, bought a house that was affordable (at the time) and was able to put extra money away into savings.
6 months ago his wife's contract went bye bye and when nothing came through she went into a depression. His job was downgraded and in order to have a job he had to take a major cut in pay and the job has no medical insurance. He does what he can for extra money but has some developing serious physical ailments which limits what he can do and may not be able to continue working without proper medical care which he can't afford.
Their emergency funds are almost gone and without some kind of intervention they will possibly lose their home.

Life is hard for everyone. Instead of having his hand out for a bailout maybe he should start paying more attention to who he elects into office, and whats going on before there is a crisis.

Considering he is in his 50's it means that he worked during the boom times. He should have made better decisions back then.

If anyone is going to be bailed out it should be the youth of the nation, who were not around for the boom and only inherited the bust.

Interesting, I reread my post and couldn't find anywhere that I said he had his hand out and like many he made both good and bad decisions based on the common lack of owning a working crystal ball.
And what I'm reading in your response is "hey, he's had his shot, he's obsolete, he's no longer economically viable so we should just toss him out in favor of a newer model".
Nice, really nice......... :rolleyes:

Your point?

Obviously you're too narcissistic to get it so I'll make it plain. These people have never been "leeches", have always been responsible, hard working, tax paying citizens who are facing life challenges that are not of their making and beyond their control. Their home is now worth about $120k less then what the paid for it and when they bought it the house was sold undermarket, not to mention the fact it had over $100k of equity in it before the bust.
So my point is these people aren't your so called "deadbeats" who refuse to do anything for themselves and with a little help they can weather the storm and probably come back as viable, responsible citizens again contributing to society and the public/private coffers when all is said and done.

And they, like everyone else bought their homes of their own free will

You have the freedom to fail that goes hand in hand with the freedom to succeed

Did I say anything different? :eusa_eh:

There's a guy I know, in his late 50s now, both he and his wife do government contract work, always paid his bills on time, paid their taxes, bought a house that was affordable (at the time) and was able to put extra money away into savings.
6 months ago his wife's contract went bye bye and when nothing came through she went into a depression. His job was downgraded and in order to have a job he had to take a major cut in pay and the job has no medical insurance. He does what he can for extra money but has some developing serious physical ailments which limits what he can do and may not be able to continue working without proper medical care which he can't afford.
Their emergency funds are almost gone and without some kind of intervention they will possibly lose their home.

Life is hard for everyone. Instead of having his hand out for a bailout maybe he should start paying more attention to who he elects into office, and whats going on before there is a crisis.

Considering he is in his 50's it means that he worked during the boom times. He should have made better decisions back then.

If anyone is going to be bailed out it should be the youth of the nation, who were not around for the boom and only inherited the bust.

(My emphasis)
And let me guess...you are among the "youth of the nation".

If you pay taxes you should benefit from it. It's really that simple.

So no one benefits from paying taxes until they take a government handout? Really? Really?

Did I say that? Really? Really?

Ye4s. You insinuated that one is owed a Government bailout simply for paying taxes. The fct is that simply is not true. It has NEVER been true. You want the Government to have that power? PASS a FUCKING AMENDMENT. Until you do there is no authority nor power in the Constitution for any such payment of Government taxes.

Taxes are collected to pay for services as provided by State and Federal Constitutions. Which if you had a damn brain in your empty head you would know.

Further it is THEFT, illegal and Unconstitutional for the President to forgive Government debt or order others to do so. He has no such authority. Only Congress has that authority.

If you pay taxes you should benefit from it. It's really that simple.
uh...we do.
But we dont look for more in return than we put in.

But you see it as an investment....so you expect more back than what you put in.

Or perhaps investment was the wrong word to use.....which is possible.
Or perhaps you're just putting words in my mouth. I don't expect we should get more back than what we put in. I've paid enough taxes to support a third world country, I'll never get that back in my pocket. But I'd sure take a FEMA check if my home got destroyed.

you were the one who said you expected a return on your investment after referring to the taxes you paid as an investment.

Sorry if I took that wrong.

So all I have to do is run for President and claim if I win you will get 1 billion dollars, free HC, your house(s) paid off and 10 free cars and no liberal could resist, they would have to vote for me? What would be the argument against me from a liberal standpoint?

At what point does it sink in that buying votes with other people’s money is unsustainable. You can do it quickly as I provided in my Presidential platform or you can do it slower under Presidents like Bush and Obama... Either way the end result is the same.

I take it this is where we eat the rich and fool ourselves into believing there would be no consequences for acquiring all of their wealth for welfare programs… Or wait, will the argument be we only need some of their money? How much, because we currently run a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit to keep up… Even if you got rid of Defense spending, all of it you would still need to confiscate around 1 Trillion from the rich just to make ends meant, meaning no new vote buying programs would have been started like the OP provided Obama would like to do.

(My emphasis)
And let me guess...you are among the "youth of the nation".

And apparently looking for a hand out. :lol:

So no one benefits from paying taxes until they take a government handout? Really? Really?

Did I say that? Really? Really?

Ye4s. You insinuated that one is owed a Government bailout simply for paying taxes. The fct is that simply is not true. It has NEVER been true. You want the Government to have that power? PASS a FUCKING AMENDMENT. Until you do there is no authority nor power in the Constitution for any such payment of Government taxes.

Taxes are collected to pay for services as provided by State and Federal Constitutions. Which if you had a damn brain in your empty head you would know.

Further it is THEFT, illegal and Unconstitutional for the President to forgive Government debt or order others to do so. He has no such authority. Only Congress has that authority.
Please send me back your benefit check. I have been become weary of supporting you.

Your point?

Obviously you're too narcissistic to get it so I'll make it plain. These people have never been "leeches", have always been responsible, hard working, tax paying citizens who are facing life challenges that are not of their making and beyond their control. Their home is now worth about $120k less then what the paid for it and when they bought it the house was sold undermarket, not to mention the fact it had over $100k of equity in it before the bust.
So my point is these people aren't your so called "deadbeats" who refuse to do anything for themselves and with a little help they can weather the storm and probably come back as viable, responsible citizens again contributing to society and the public/private coffers when all is said and done.

While your story is compelling, I have yet to hear a compelling reason for why the taxpayer is on the hook for this man's problems. Hey, you sell the home and rent. It isn't the end of the world.

Why do nutters believe that a POTUS who has not even suggested raising taxes on anyone above what they were 10 years ago.......is trying to take more of their money and give it to "them"?

WE ARE THEM.....................ASSHOLES.

A combination of cutting waste....especially the kind that goes "boom".....and increasing revenue....especially the kind that comes from paychecks......is the path to conservative Nirvana. A country where everyone works and pays there own way.

WHY DO YOU BLOCK THE PATH??????

Last edited:
Why do nutters believe that a POTUS who has not even suggested raising taxes on anyone above what they were 10 years ago.......is trying to take more of their money and give it to "them"?

A combination of cutting waste....especially the hind that goes "boom".....and increasing revenue....especially the kind that comes from paychecks......is the path to conservative Nirvana. A country where everyone works and pays there own way.

Point?

So all I have to do is run for President and claim if I win you will get 1 billion dollars, free HC, your house(s) paid off and 10 free cars and no liberal could resist, they would have to vote for me? What would be the argument against me from a liberal standpoint?

At what point does it sink in that buying votes with other people’s money is unsustainable. You can do it quickly as I provided in my Presidential platform or you can do it slower under Presidents like Bush and Obama... Either way the end result is the same.

I take it this is where we eat the rich and fool ourselves into believing there would be no consequences for acquiring all of their wealth for welfare programs… Or wait, will the argument be we only need some of their money? How much, because we currently run a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit to keep up… Even if you got rid of Defense spending, all of it you would still need to confiscate around 1 Trillion from the rich just to make ends meant, meaning no new vote buying programs would have been started like the OP provided Obama would like to do.

If you recall....

(paraphrased)

'All Americans are about to experience an economy worse than you have ever experienced before..since the great depression. You are all going to be short of funds for your every day needs, many of you will lose your jobs. Your homes have all lost value and many of you have negative equity. Many of you will lose your homes. Banks have stopped lending. You are all going to find yourselves strapped for cash...

So that being said, vote for me and 95% of you will get a a check in the mail. Vote for McCain and you will receive no help at all'

lmfao...and it worked like a charm.

A combination of cutting waste....especially the hind that goes "boom".....and increasing revenue....especially the kind that comes from paychecks......is the path to conservative Nirvana. A country where everyone works and pays there own way.

Point?

The point is that no debt relief effort will result in YOU having to pay higher taxes. It will......in the end.....benefit YOU by helping stimulate the economy.....making the company that YOU work for more profitable. Duh.

There's an opinion in today's WSJ about a guy named Ed DeMarco. He's the acting head of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, an independent regulator of Fannie and Freddie. He's basically the cop that prevents bad policy decisions that taxpayers would have to pay for. F&F are already some 141 billion in the hole, so his job is to make sure the situation doesn't get appreciably worse.

Which brings us to the question of principle write downs, when lenders would reduce the mortgage principle amount for loans owned by F&F. IOW, a bailout, just in time for the 2012 election, another stimulus plan that bypasses Congress, imagine that.

Except Mr DeMarco won't play ball, he says the taxpayers loseout in the deal, which is true. He says principal forgiveness is not within his statuatory mandate, and Congress should be the ones to appropriate money to fund the idea if they wish.

Hard to argue with that, but of course the democrats are outraged. Bear in mind we've seen several housing relief programs in the lst few years, none of which have worked. And how fair is it to reduce somebody's mortgage but not somebody else's?

So, this all leads to the question: what do you think of the idea of lowering somebody's mortgage principle with the US taxpayers paying for it? I can see extending the mortgage period out to 40 or even 50 years, or requiring a lower loan interest. What's your opinion?

Leave the principle alone, but lower the intrest rate to the fed level which is zero right now, and when the fed raises their intrest level than the mortgage rate should go up equally.

My question about the housing debacle is this...If we do not adjust anyones mortgage and families keep getting foreclosed on what happens then? Sitting back and saying it is their own fault and they should have to live with their chioices is short sighted at best. Why don't the banks have to live with their choices of selling to people who couldn't afford the house in the first place. Where is the personal responsibility of the banks?

The bank forecloses and the house just sits and rots, as upkeep must be paid for by the banks. How much does that cost them? Not only are they not receiving any payments they are actually spending money on upkeep and reselling costs. Not to mention having people like myself who call and complain constantly about the house next door and the house across the street and the one on the corner which are vacant and not being kept up. This drives my property value down, so the banks are adversely affecting my home value. If the banks had been concerned about themselves and acted responsibly we would not be in this mess.

Point?

The point is that no debt relief effort will result in YOU having to pay higher taxes. It will......in the end.....benefit YOU by helping stimulate the economy.....making the company that YOU work for more profitable. Duh.

Ok, seriously? That's what we were told about the risky mortgages made due to provisions of the CRA.. how'd that end up again?

Sorry, the Feds should not be involved in this mess...

Ok, seriously? That's what we were told about the risky mortgages made due to provisions of the CRA.. how'd that end up again?

I don't give a shit what you were told.....or what you think the "fed" should and should not do based on some antiquated version of Utopia that you have. The fact is that kicking people out of their homes.....after they have invested a large portion of their income into one....is fucking stupid policy. It helps nobody.......especially the folks down the street who are current.

It is going to take a collective effort to get us out of the collective mess that we are in. There is no getting around this fact.

I don't give a shit what you were told.....or what you think the "fed" should and should not do based on some antiquated version of Utopia that you have. The fact is that kicking people out of their homes.....after they have invested a large portion of their income into one....is fucking stupid policy. It helps nobody.......especially the folks down the street who are current.

It is going to take a collective effort to get us out of the collective mess that we are in. There is no getting around this fact.

You're missing one very big point... it isn't their house until they've satisfied the terms of the mortgage contract.

And when did being held to the terms of a contract you willingly entered into become antiquated? What world are you living on?

Last edited:
I understand what you guys are saying from personal standpoint... it's tragedy. But it isn't a new tragedy, only one exacerbated by people borrowing money they could never afford to pay back, banks being strong armed into making risky loans and banks and Wall St. playing fast and loose with the rules. Add to that a shitty economy and people remaining unemployed for years... you've got a real mess. Bailing everybody out only rewards bad acting.

Will people like you ever figure out that your feelings on the matter are not what is in question? I also don't like the idea that someone might benefit more than me from the collective effort to right this ship. In a perfect world, the suffering of others would have no impact on me. But.....the world is flawed and I am pragmatic. I know that if we don't address the income gap.....and if we don't figure out a way to put money into the pockets of consumers (meaning get them jobs and help them become less debt ridden ), all of us will be worse off. Telling millions of people to fuck off will not put more money into your pocket.

I understand what you guys are saying from personal standpoint... it's tragedy. But it isn't a new tragedy, only one exacerbated by people borrowing money they could never afford to pay back, banks being strong armed into making risky loans and banks and Wall St. playing fast and loose with the rules. Add to that a shitty economy and people remaining unemployed for years... you've got a real mess. Bailing everybody out only rewards bad acting.

That is ridiculous.

Forum List

Back