Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Home invasion by the State | The Sun |News

Home invasion by the State
By GEORGE PASCOE-WATSON
Political Editor

Published: Today
HOMEOWNERS must let council inspectors in to check for DANCING BEARS after they were handed 1,043 powers to pry.
Armies of clipboard-touting officials can demand entry to check on everything from pot plants to fridges.

Details of the vast array of laws were quietly slipped out to MPs last Tuesday by the Home Office.

The list includes 430 new powers of entry brought in by Labour ministers – a year after a report said there were only 266.

The checks include whether POT PLANTS have pests or imported “passport” documents, or if HYPNOTISM is being practised illegally.

Inspectors can demand to know if homeowners are keeping RABBITS.

Brits must also reveal if their HEDGE is too high under the AntiSocial Behaviour Act, and whether their FRIDGE has the correct EU energy rating under little-known Energy Information Household Refrigerators and Freezers Regulations 2004.

More...

I'm thankful I've got the Bill of Rights!

You haven't been paying attention. The Brits argue that THEY have an unwritten Constitution. Arguing that it is simply a matter of the public voting out enough MP's and voting in the right ones to change laws like this.

All we have, according the Queen's subjects is worthless piece of paper that has no power at all, while THEY have hundreds of years of UNWRITTEN policy that protects them from such antics as the above.

You haven't been paying attention. The Brits argue that THEY have an unwritten Constitution. Arguing that it is simply a matter of the public voting out enough MP's and voting in the right ones to change laws like this.

All we have, according the Queen's subjects is worthless piece of paper that has no power at all, while THEY have hundreds of years of UNWRITTEN policy that protects them from such antics as the above.

Thre Brits' constitution is a mix of common law, custom and also legislation (does Magna Carta ring a bell?), importantly the Bill of Rights 1689 and other legislation. There is no consolidated act of parliament, no enumerated powers.

Big generalisation there RGS, the Queen's subjects - what all of them?

As for the idea of home invasion by the state - I would imagine this sort of detailed stuff could be found in just about any jurisdiction. I mean, there's revenue involved and governments aren't shy about granting powers when there's money to be dragged out of the citizenry.

I'm thankful I've got the Bill of Rights!

Yeah, that Bill of rights.

My home was invaded by the police this Wednesday.

I live in a medical marijuana state, but one where having hemp is illegal, anyway. Apparently the only way that I can have medical marijuana, is to buy it from criminals.

This confusion in the spirit of the law will cost me and my son about $5,000 in October, I figure, and thus likely will cost me my home since that will leave mye unable to heat it or pay for it after I pay the fines.

Thank dog for that Bill of Rights, eh?

They needed a warrant before they could invade my home.

Life in America, land of the free and home of the brave.

It's a real previlege to be a part of it, sometimes.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Bill of rights.

My home was invaded by the police this Wednesday.

I live in a medical marijuana state, but one where having hemp is illegal, anyway. Apparently the only way that I can have medical marijuana, is to buy it from criminals.

This confusion in the spirit of the law will cost me and my son about $5,000 in October, I figure, and thus likely will cost me my home since that will leave mye unable to heat it or pay for it after I pay the fines.

Thank dog for that Bill of Rights, eh?

They needed a warrant before they could invade my home.

Life in America, land of the free and home of the brave.

It's a real previlege to be a part of it, sometimes.

Did they have a warrant? Last I checked it is still Federal trumps State law any day of the week also. Break the law pay the price.

Did they have a warrant?

Yes, they did... after I insisted they must have one to enter my home (which I did, after they entered my home without a warrant)

Last I checked it is still Federal trumps State law any day of the week also.

The Feds did not break in.

I was not charged with having broken any Fed statutes. This was strictly a State law issue. Hence my confusion about why they were there at all.

Break the law pay the price.

Yes, very true.

It remains to be seen whether I have actually broken any laws, of course.

I must say, in the defence of the local cops, they were thoroughly decent people who showed a remarkable lack of enthusiasm for molesting my peaceful home.

But they are officers of the court, and they do not get to decide which laws they can or cannot enforce.

They go through the motions and let the courts decide.

Life in America.

Forum List

Back