Home from my trips to Israel

Also what is the right thing to do when shopkeepers offer you coffee in the shuk?

BTW if I may suggest, find some time to go to the Western wall tunnels, on the left of the plaza.
The visible part of the wall is just a tiny fraction of what is buried underneath layers of history.

There You can find the closest spot to the Holy of Holies...

Yom Tov Shusha.

There is also supposed to be a Little Wall you can access from the Muslim Quarter?

Actually have never been to the Muslim quarter but by mistake once.

However the tunnels I've mentioned are underneath the Muslim quarter.
That's the most interesting thing - one can see the layers of Jerusalem about 2 millenia back, that upon them the quarter was built.

Hopefully you'll be in Jerusalem for the start of the sabbath.

I'd like to do Shabbat in Jerusalem one day.

Just come on Thursday and tell someone who offers a Tefilin on the street that You want to experience true Shabbat in Jerusalem- You won't have to worry about anything, anything.

Just come.

I was in Israel a lot at one period in my life. Two of my daughters lived there, and I used to visit them. Also on some business trips. Based in Tel Aviv. Went to Jerusalem on the bus, but back the same day.

BTW if I may suggest, find some time to go to the Western wall tunnels, on the left of the plaza.
The visible part of the wall is just a tiny fraction of what is buried underneath layers of history.

Yom Tov Shusha.

There is also supposed to be a Little Wall you can access from the Muslim Quarter?
There is

Hopefully you'll be in Jerusalem for the start of the sabbath.

I will be!
Jerusalem is such a cool city, almost magical. But one of the coolest things is to be there when the siren goes off on Friday evening to signify the beginning of Shabbat. The whole city comes to a stand still. Of course it is already shutting down starting near noon or so. Go to the shuk around noon. Good luck, it will be very crowded.

The other coolest thing is what we both missed. Last week (to the day) was the 70th Independence day celebrations. The fireworks, the bands, the people. Oh yeah, hopefully you are staying near the downtown triangle. Ben Yehuda Street is pretty cool at night.
Teddy what does Ben Yehuda mean...steve

I'm staying in the Rova. Tonight my friends/business partners are taking me to the Jewish shuk. Apparently it basically switches from a market to an outdoor party on Thursday nights?
Pretty much from what I've heard. I have yet to experience that. Maybe next year. In Jerusalem. ;)

Yom Tov Shusha.

I agree, you should take the Western Wall Tunnel tour if you can, though you have to reserve a little bit in advance. And yes there is the little wall in the muslim quarter. I've been to it once, but you have to wander down some of the little streets to the north of the western wall. One of them will have a gate leading to the temple mount (for muslims only to enter) and the Little wall is just to the left.

New Topics

Forum List

Back