Home Depot, Others Required To Make Day Laborer Shelters in LA

Day laborers are individuals who aren't employed full-time. They are employed just for a day, usually, and work through labor centers. Employers who need a person for a single day go to these labor centers and pick up the people they need to work that day.

In California, many of these day laborers are mexican nationals in the U.S. illegally who are paid in cash.

A new study shows that day laborers on street corners and in hiring halls make up less than 1 percent of the work force, and that most are in the country illegally.

As local anti-illegal immigration activists intensify their protests over day labor sites, a new statewide study suggests that public attention on this matter is out of proportion to the number of day laborers in California.

The number of people who stand on street corners looking for work make up 0.02 percent of the state's total work force, according to the study by the Public Policy Institute of California, a San Francisco-based private research organization. (North County Times, July 26, 2007)

Last edited:
Day laborers are individuals who aren't employed full-time. They are employed just for a day, usually, and work through labor centers. Employers who need a person for a single day go to these labor centers and pick up the people they need to work that day.

In California, many of these day laborers are mexican nationals in the U.S. illegally who are paid in cash.

A "labor center" in San Antonio is a street corner.:lol:

A "labor center" in San Antonio is a street corner.:lol:

It's a convenience store, shopping mall, or home depot in Florida. However, there are also day labor agencies that serve as hubs for day laborers in many places. In some areas, the spots where day laborers congregates become public nuisances. I used to "walk the gauntlet" of day laborers at a local convenience store where I'd gotten in the habit of stopping for coffee. Over a couple of years, it went from 2 or 3 guys each morning to 15 or 20. I speak enough Spanish to know that rude comments were being made about me, even though I'm just a stupid guera, and I finally complained to the manager. I have nothing against Latinos, I've spent my career working with inner city Chicanos and Latinos, but some of the "mojados" are pigs. Totally sexist attitudes.

Last edited:
:clap2:
It's a convenience store, shopping mall, or home depot in Florida. However, there are also day labor agencies that serve as hubs for day laborers in many places. In many places, the spots where day laborers congregates become public nuisances. I used to "walk the gauntlet" of day laborers at a local convenience store where I'd gotten in the habit of stopping for coffee. Over a couple of years, it went from 2 or 3 guys each morning to 15 or 20. I speak enough spanish to know that rude comments were being made to me, and I finally complained to the manager. I have nothing against Latinos, but some of the mojados are pigs.

Hell--you can't even get into some Home Depots in Austin without getting hassled by a crowd of illegals wanting to get paid cash for digging a hole.

So now companies are being forced to build shelters for people that shouldn't even be here. That makes no sense whatsoever.
I can't tell if they are being forced. It might actually be good for their business to have contractors stop there to do all their shopping. It sounds more to me like they have a choice...kiss the sales pitch goodbye, or clean up the area.

I can't tell if they are being forced. It might actually be good for their business to have contractors stop there to do all their shopping. It sounds more to me like they have a choice...kiss the sales pitch goodbye, or clean up the area.

helps if you read the article

LOS ANGELES -- Big-box, home-improvement stores in Los Angeles will have to set aside space for day laborers under an ordinance passed by the City Council on Wednesday.

Or, because this is private property, they could ask law enforcement to enforce trespassing/loitering laws, and force these folks off their property. That's what I'd suggest. It's perfectly within their rights. If these folks are hanging out, not purchasing items, not being actual customers, and are creating a public nuisance, than the store has every right to ask them to leave and/or hire private security if the police aren't willing to help.

I saw that. But it's still not clear if the HAVE to build them or evict them...it seems to me there has to be an element of choice. After all, it is private property.

Where do you see the option to evict them ? It is a city ordinance--they HAVE to build the shelters if there store fits the criteria. :cuckoo:

Apparently not in LA.

Reading this, apparently you are correct. Though, I don't believe that building these shelters is going to impact the nuisance issues that have caused complaints. And, it seems like an infringement upon private property laws. I'd be very surprised if it stands up to a constitutional test in California.

Reading this, apparently you are correct. Though, I don't believe that building these shelters is going to impact the nuisance issues that have caused complaints. And, it seems like an infringement upon private property laws. I'd be very surprised if it stands up to a constitutional test in California.

I doubt it will even be challenged. Looks to me like the stores have accepted the invasion. But I think you are correct--I pity any housing areas in the area.

Forum List

Back