Home Depot Founder: Obama's Regulations Are Killing Businesses

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
While President Obama insists only a “balanced” approach to the debt crisis that includes higher taxes is acceptable, the founder of one of America’s most successful retail businesses claims the president doesn’t have a clue about the economy. Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus told Investors Business Daily in an interview yesterday the president hasn’t the faintest idea of how jobs are created, but businessmen are intimidated into silence about the administration’s faulty policies. According to Marcus:

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration.

Home Depot Founder: Obama

While President Obama insists only a “balanced” approach to the debt crisis that includes higher taxes is acceptable, the founder of one of America’s most successful retail businesses claims the president doesn’t have a clue about the economy. Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus told Investors Business Daily in an interview yesterday the president hasn’t the faintest idea of how jobs are created, but businessmen are intimidated into silence about the administration’s faulty policies. According to Marcus:

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration."

Intimidated that they will be forced to pay fair taxes? fair wages? Fair business practices? If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worried.

Funny, I have some contractors over the past year that have taken their business to Lowes from Home Depot, is he going to blame that on Obama too?

Home Depot is the place to 'hire' cheap labor, so contractrors and slum lords as well as some homeowners don't have to pay into Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, UE Insursnce, etc etc.. Maybe the founder ought to police his own parking lot before he offers critiscism of anyone else.

If you're opposed to illegal immigrants you ought to boycott Home Depot.

Businesses are now just holding their noses waiting for the stench of this Presidency to go away in 2012. They're in a holding-freeze on hiring. Once this guy is gone,they will likely begin hiring again. Make 2012 count America.

Home Depot is the place to 'hire' cheap labor, so contractrors and slum lords as well as some homeowners don't have to pay into Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, UE Insursnce, etc etc.. Maybe the founder ought to police his own parking lot before he offers critiscism of anyone else.

That's just plain stupid....Home Depot is not encouraging the illegals that hang around their stores looking for work....i know of some stores that have fenced off their lots in order to keep them away...but the illegals still hang around the streets outside the fences...

maybe if the Federal Government did ITS job there wouldn't be this problem...

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration."

Intimidated that they will be forced to pay fair taxes? fair wages? Fair business practices? If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worried.

Funny, I have some contractors over the past year that have taken their business to Lowes from Home Depot, is he going to blame that on Obama too?

Forcing business to pay arbitrarily-determined "fair taxes" or "fair wages" is the antithesis to capitalism and free markets...

That's another fucking myth.

In the last 4 years I have spent countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars at several Home Depot stores in my area and never once has anyone been hanging around the lot illegal or not looking for day work.

Just because that may happen in some areas is certainly no reason to say that HD is culpable in any illegal hiring.

Anyway what do you expect from a guy like Obama with his "work" history.

Instead of running a business and actually meeting a payroll and navigating the labyrinth of government regulation and red tape he spent his so called career teaching people how to get more shit from the government.

That's another fucking myth.

In the last 4 years I have spent countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars at several Home Depot stores in my area and never once has anyone been hanging around the lot illegal or not looking for day work.

Just because that may happen in some areas is certainly no reason to say that HD is culpable in any illegal hiring.

Wry is a fucking nitwit... do yourself a favor, put it on ignore. You'll thank yourself.

Anyway what do you expect from a guy like Obama with his "work" history.

Instead of running a business and actually meeting a payroll and navigating the labyrinth of government regulation and red tape he spent his so called career teaching people how to get more shit from the government.

Well said. I think the man actually held a "real" job, briefly, at some magazine and he declared it to be "the most miserable time of his life".

Says a lot doesn't it?

Home Depot drove virtually every other smaller operator out of my area and Home Depot is BUSY every time I've ever been there,

despite the historical slump in housing.

This idiot is just jawboning for MORE concessions to business and using the cyclical slump as a phony excuse.

That's just plain stupid....Home Depot is not encouraging the illegals that hang around their stores looking for work....i know of some stores that have fenced off their lots in order to keep them away...but the illegals still hang around the streets outside the fences...

maybe if the Federal Government did ITS job there wouldn't be this problem...

HD is not discouraging them in California, maybe someplaces, but not in my community. And, besides, private contractors and slum lords as well as small business are the primary employers of workers without the legal right to work in our country.

Home Depot drove virtually every other smaller operator out of my area and Home Depot is BUSY every time I've ever been there,

This idiot is just jawboning for MORE concessions to business and using the cyclical slump as a phony excuse.

What is the hard on you people have for small businesses that can't compete?

All I used to have was a small lumberyard to buy supplies from and quite frankly they had absolute shit for selection and more often than not I would have to wait a week or more for much needed supplies.

Now all I have to do is call the pro desk and HD and all my stuff is delivered in a day or two.

If those smaller businesses were smart they would realize the HD cannot carry everything and that a lot of niche products that are in high demand are still tough to get. It is in these specialty areas that the small business thrives because the big box stores are weak in these areas.

Last edited:

Our local hardware store seems to be doing just fine with a home depot about a mile down woodhaven blvd. The place adjusted by doing seasonal stuff, such as potted plants and flowers for mother's day and easter, as well as stocking stuff for the local contractor who wants to call in ahead of time instead of waiting in line at home depot for 30 min at 6 AM.

that's just phony liberal bullshit...

There are tons of complaints from businesses everywhere.....
here's a short list of some of the regulation tyranny coming down BO's political pipeline....

1. EPA climate change regulations
2. OSHA’s “occupational noise” regulation
3. EPA's new restrictions on ozone pollution
4. Implementation of the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill
5. EPA's new training requirements for renovation projects

The top five Obama regulations that American businesses hate most | The Daily Caller

Businesses are now just holding their noses waiting for the stench of this Presidency to go away in 2012. They're in a holding-freeze on hiring. Once this guy is gone,they will likely begin hiring again. Make 2012 count America.

So you admit that they are purposely holding the country hostage over taxes and politics. Thank you. They should be tried for treason IMO.

They are frightened to death — frightened that they will have the IRS or SEC on them. In my 50 years in business, I have never seen executives of major companies who were more intimidated by an administration.

Home Depot Founder: Obama

This is the business that builds shade stations for the illegal day workers hanging out outside their doors......

Forum List

Back