Home Court Advantage

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
Home Court Advantage
Giuliani should know better than to impugn the capabilities of federal courts.

By Jonathan Alter | Newsweek Web Exclusive

Nov 18, 2009

When last we heard from him, Rudy Giuliani had spent $59 million to win one delegate to the 2008 Republican National Convention. Now he's disrespecting the career attorneys at his old stomping ground, the U.S. Department of Justice, and setting new records in the competitive sport of scaremongering. (Click here to follow Jonathan Alter).

The decision of Attorney General Eric Holder (not President Obama) to prosecute Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM), the mastermind of the attacks of 9/11, in New York City has kicked off a predictable political flap. Republicans smell political advantage—"The Obama administration is finished. The Democratic Party is finished," exulted Mike Huckabee—and even some Democrats, such as embattled New York Gov. David Paterson, are running for cover.

But the New York officials who count—Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, and Sen. Chuck Schumer—came fully on board with Holder's decision once they were reassured that the city would be reimbursed for the extra security. They have no doubt that New York can handle the trial, which is at least a year away.

As Giuliani knows, there are practical prosecutorial reasons to proceed against the biggest criminal in the history of the United States in federal court. Unlike some other detainees, KSM has confessed so many times outside of his interrogations that prosecutors won’t need to introduce evidence obtained through waterboarding. For that reason, efforts by the defense to make the trial about the abuses of the U.S. government will surely fail. And because federal courts have ample precedent in handling terrorism cases, the case will proceed much faster than it would in a military tribunal: by order of the Supreme Court, military justice is subject to extensive judicial review. After convictions in military courts, the appeals process can drag on, because everything about those tribunals is new and therefore subjected to endless adjudication.

Rules of fair use prohibit posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Dude

Last edited by a moderator:
Long History Behind Military Commissions

By Kathleen T. Rhem
American Forces Press Service
Washington, Aug. 19, 2004 – The United States Army, and before that the British army, have used military commissions to try war crimes at several different points in their long history.

As the first pre-trial motions get under way for military commissions to try detainees in the war on terrorism, a top official in the process described some history behind military commissions to reporters at an Aug. 17 Pentagon briefing.

"These types of commissions have been with us since the Revolution," said John Altenburg Jr., appointing authority for the Office of Military Commissions. "The British used a military commission to prosecute Nathan Hale. And some five years later, the United States military, at George Washington's direction, prosecuted Major (John) Andre as a spy for the British." Andre had conspired with American military traitor Benedict Arnold.

During the Mexican War, Altenburg explained, Gen. Winfield Scott formed two types of military courts. The first, which he called war councils, were used to prosecute violations of the law of war. Scott's General Order 20, of 1847, also provided for military commissions to prosecute Mexicans who committed crimes against American soldiers.

"Interesting to note," Altenburg added, "(Scott) did not prosecute Mexican crime against Mexicans. He was fairly enlightened in that regard and wanted to make sure that they had their own system running."

DefenseLink News Article: Long History Behind Military Commissions

Obama never should have stopped the Military Commissions.

Rules of fair use prohibit posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Dude

The problem I have in a civilian trial of this magnitude, is that it just takes one nut to slip through the cracks during jury selection. Nobody can read the minds of individuals, and anything can happen after that.
I don't understand why the US is putting these terrorists on trial when they have already confessed? There has to be a reason, and I'm hoping it isn't for a dog and pony show.
If I'm innocent of a crime, I want the decision from a judge, if I'm guilty of a crime, I want the decision from a jury. Any idea on why?

The problem I have in a civilian trial of this magnitude, is that it just takes one nut to slip through the cracks during jury selection. Nobody can read the minds of individuals, and anything can happen after that.
I don't understand why the US is putting these terrorists on trial when they have already confessed? There has to be a reason, and I'm hoping it isn't for a dog and pony show.
If I'm innocent of a crime, I want the decision from a judge, if I'm guilty of a crime, I want the decision from a jury. Any idea on why?

Wouldn't it be something if his lawyer had him plead guilty at trial; Then the show would be over except for sentencing and imposing the sentence!

Wouldn't it be something if his lawyer had him plead guilty at trial; Then the show would be over except for sentencing and imposing the sentence!

Yes it would, but I think you, and I both know that's not going to happen.

Unbelievable....... And you were educated in this country?

You don't understand the right to a fair trial? Did you sleep through those classes on our founding fathers?

You don't understand the right to a fair trial? Did you sleep through those classes on our founding fathers?

You stupid fucker, they are enemy combatants. This isn't an criminal case. These scumbags you liberals love to defend attacked this country which is an act of war. They should be tried by a military court and then after found guilty hung by the neck until they are dead dead dead.

But scumbags like you love to try and see this country smeared while the liberal media has field day exposing our intelligence techniques to make it easier for terrorists to attack this country again. And morons like you are too damn stupid to realize it.

Last edited:

You are an ignorant one aren't you, rw?
First, these terrorists were caught on foreign soil, and ARE subject to a MILITARY TRIBUNAL.
But, having said that....did you miss the part where they confessed?
Go back to school, because you really didn't comprehend much when you did go. :cuckoo:

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

He's already pled guilty and asked for the death sentence..and bragged about it.. not to mention the DUMBells have tainted the jury pool with their he guilty and will get the death sentence statements so why do we have to pay twice for a "pled guilty" and a "death sentence" oh I remember demoncwats don't give a shit about spending other peoples money.

For some, a "fair" trial is only for when it is their brother or their kid that has done something totally ughly, and for all else, the US Constitution is not pertinent if their bigotry is in the way!

You stupid fucker, they are enemy combatants. This isn't an criminal case. These scumbags you liberals love to defend attacked this country which is an act of war. They should be tried by a military court and then after found guilty hung by the neck until they are dead dead dead.

But scumbags like you love to try and see this country smeared while the liberal media has field day exposing our intelligence techniques to make it easier for terrorists to attack this country again. And morons like you are too damn stupid to realize it.

REST IN PIECES, U.S. CONSTITUTION, You were loved, and we will miss you...

For some, a "fair" trial is only for when it is their brother or their kid that has done something totally ughly, and for all else, the US Constitution is not pertinent if their bigotry is in the way!

You, and rw really need to try and at least get your GED.
What Holder wants to happen has never happened before in our history. Maybe there is a reason that presedence has already been stated in matters like this.
With rw, and looks like you contessa...it's all about blaming Bush. To hell with the possibility of not having any of them walk , huh?

Last edited:

Please contessa, show us in the constitution where it says enemy combantants shall have a civilian trial? Please show me, if you can't then it sounds just like another partisan hack.
Because our constitution hasn't really been stepped on, huh?

Why would you afford rights under the US Constitution to a person who is not a US Citizen and was captured in some other country in the world and further, when the precedent is that we have NEVER, EVER done it before for anyone else similarly situated?

Why do you think this risky scheme is a good idea?

Not only does no part of the US Constitution support your position, I challenge you to cite any case law that supports your position. There isn't any.

This scheme is made out of whole cloth by an Attorney General who couldn't even answer the most basic question any attorney would seek to have the answer to when confronted with this kind of a question -- venue.

What does precedent say on the subject? Holder didn't know. He claimed to have researched and agonized over this decision, yet he didn't know the answer to the most basic of questions. He's either an incompetent that needs to be removed or he's doing this to achieve some end other than serving the law and he needs to be removed.

Please contessa, show us in the constitution where it says enemy combantants shall have a civilian trial? Please show me, if you can't then it sounds just like another partisan hack.
Because our constitution hasn't really been stepped on, huh?

Actually, illegal combatants are traditionally subjected, by all nations, to "drum head" trials. Agreement by three officers and summary execution.

Nice attempt to chill free speech by playing the race card. :ahole-1:

And people like you want our Constitution burned and our rights trampled into the mud because you are scared pissless over the terrorists.

Forum List

Back