Holy Shit! I was wrong!!

Oct 8, 2009
As it's such a rare occurrence ( :lol::lol::lol:) for people to admit when they are wrong, I thought I'd start a thread to announce it.

What I was wrong about: My view has, for years, been that the libertarians are right about businesses being able to discriminate. My view has been that most Americans are decent, honorable people who would not tolerate doing business with racists. During the recent forum discussion, that was my stance. Well, I had a conversation with a poster on here - since PMs are confidential - I won't go into it or name the poster who that conversation was with. However, having spent a few hours contemplating that discussion I now see that the risks are too great. I have absolutely no desire to see this nation go back to a time that, while I didn't live through it myself, I have no wish to see us return to. Racism is just too important to make assumptions about how Americans would handle such a step.

So, I started this thread to say thank you to that poster for having the courage to challenge my views with intelligence and consideration.

And to my fellow Americans - I wish to hell you would get past seeing the color of someone's skin and just see the person they are.... good or bad.

(I also started it because some moron male poster here said that women never admit when we're wrong. Well, this woman does. She does not see it as weakness - quite the opposite.)

I shall now resume my usual, somewhat caustic, posting style.

Thank you.

Indeed, in a perfect world we wouldn't need laws like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is however most unfortunate that we do not live in such a world. I know that is why as much as I would want to know who the racists are who discriminate, the risks are too high.

Props for admitting when you're wrong and being open to the ideas of others CG. :thup:

• Banned
Indeed, in a perfect world we wouldn't need laws like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is however most unfortunate that we do not live in such a world. I know that is why as much as I would want to know who the racists are who discriminate, the risks are too high.

Props for admitting when you're wrong and being open to the ideas of others CG. :thup:

Comes to something when we feel that we should 'high five' someone who has the backbone to say 'I was wrong', don't you think? Speaks badly of society if it's a rare thing to admit such a thing.

Also, I'm really disappointed that I feel like I was wrong.... again, it speaks badly of American society when I have to recognize that perhaps not enough of my fellow Americans are past the whole 'race' thing.

I've seen people contort themselves past belief in attempts to avoid acknowledging they made a mistake. It reminds me of lying...It's ever so much more work to lie than it is to tell the truth! It's also easier to admit a mistake and keep moving than it is to go through life as unteachable.

• Banned
I've seen people contort themselves past belief in attempts to avoid acknowledging they made a mistake. It reminds me of lying...It's ever so much more work to lie than it is to tell the truth! It's also easier to admit a mistake and keep moving than it is to go through life as unteachable.

It does sadden me to see that I over-estimated my fellow countrymen.

I wish I could lay my hands on it, but I have no idea where I saw it... But during the Rand Paul dust-up, I saw a video clip of a pretty good explanation for why it was necessary for the government to intervene in this. And the reason was that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was pretty much a course correction. We had deviated from the path in such a way that the deviance had become the norm and required government force to correct.

Not as good an explanation as what I saw.. but sorry, I just can't find it again. :(

As it's such a rare occurrence ( :lol::lol::lol:) for people to admit when they are wrong, I thought I'd start a thread to announce it.

What I was wrong about: My view has, for years, been that the libertarians are right about businesses being able to discriminate. My view has been that most Americans are decent, honorable people who would not tolerate doing business with racists. During the recent forum discussion, that was my stance. Well, I had a conversation with a poster on here - since PMs are confidential - I won't go into it or name the poster who that conversation was with. However, having spent a few hours contemplating that discussion I now see that the risks are too great. I have absolutely no desire to see this nation go back to a time that, while I didn't live through it myself, I have no wish to see us return to. Racism is just too important to make assumptions about how Americans would handle such a step.

So, I started this thread to say thank you to that poster for having the courage to challenge my views with intelligence and consideration.

And to my fellow Americans - I wish to hell you would get past seeing the color of someone's skin and just see the person they are.... good or bad.

(I also started it because some moron male poster here said that women never admit when we're wrong. Well, this woman does. She does not see it as weakness - quite the opposite.)

Thank you.

All I can think of is the scene on Happy Days where Fonzie can't say "I was wrong". :lol:

Racism will never be eradicated - TEACH TOLERANCE.

I've always preferred the word 'acceptance' rather than tolerance. Tolerance seems kind of condescending.

Acceptance absolutely should be the goal for ALL races, religions and ethnicities.

Using "tolerance" as the benchmark implies that the accepable alternative is INtolerance.

Not cool.

It'll be a great day when we can get everyone to just ACCEPT that we're all different and that it's all part of our CREATOR'S GRAND PLAN.

:clap2:

Doubt I"ll live to see the day....but I didn't think I'd see the Berlin Wall come down either, but I did! :D

CG,

Welcome to the clubs--the club of being "man" enough to admit you are wrong, albeit occasionally, and the club of realizing that although this should be left up to the businesses themselves and their customers "the free market", that does not always work.

Immie

Thank you.

Be careful saying that "libertarians are right about businesses being able to discriminate." That's not generally true. All but the most extremists of libertarian thought believe the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was necessary. There most certainly was an overall social system of racial oppression, and most libertarians recognize that.

Today, some are attempting to totally eradicate discriminatory attitudes and practices, and that is just not feasible if we want to preserve civil liberties. (This has been discussed ad nauseum on USMB, so I won't go into it here.)

Thank you.

Be careful saying that "libertarians are right about businesses being able to discriminate." That's not generally true. All but the most extremists of libertarian thought believe the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was necessary. There most certainly was an overall social system of racial oppression, and most libertarians recognize that.

Today, some are attempting to totally eradicate discriminatory attitudes and practices, and that is just not feasible if we want to preserve civil liberties. (This has been discussed ad nauseum on USMB, so I won't go into it here.)

There is no doubt that it WAS necessary. I have always thought we had moved past that as a society. That if we were to remove the legislation, it would not lead to discrimination by the majority and we would then be able to see who these racists are. But.... I have come to the conclusion that, as a society, maybe we aren't good enough yet.

I was wrong once... Well actually i thought i was wrong but it turned out i was mistaken on that....LOL

There is no doubt that it WAS necessary. I have always thought we had moved past that as a society. That if we were to remove the legislation, it would not lead to discrimination by the majority and we would then be able to see who these racists are. But.... I have come to the conclusion that, as a society, maybe we aren't good enough yet.

"We have no government armed in power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other."
--John Adams

I'm not sure that I agree with Adams that we must be necessarily religious to be moral. Certainly, he may be proved correct in the course of time, I don't know. But I think he is ALREADY proved correct that a sense of decency must prevail in a free society. Morality is a subjective term in many ways, but if what we mean by it is that we refrain from impinging upon the liberties of individuals and that we do that with a clean heart... then he is right. Certainly, segregation was NOT a situation which didn't impinge upon liberties when consumer services could be offered in a racially prejudicial way.

The necessity to make a government-forced correction, I think, was indicative of a breakdown in public morality, as well as noncompliance with the spirit of Constitutional governance.

Thank you.

I absolutely love it when I am wrong. It makes me feel grounded and good. :lol:

Forum List

Back