Holy Shit! I was wrong!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by California Girl, Jun 7, 2010.

1. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    As it's such a rare occurrence ( :lol::lol::lol:) for people to admit when they are wrong, I thought I'd start a thread to announce it.

What I was wrong about: My view has, for years, been that the libertarians are right about businesses being able to discriminate. My view has been that most Americans are decent, honorable people who would not tolerate doing business with racists. During the recent forum discussion, that was my stance. Well, I had a conversation with a poster on here - since PMs are confidential - I won't go into it or name the poster who that conversation was with. However, having spent a few hours contemplating that discussion I now see that the risks are too great. I have absolutely no desire to see this nation go back to a time that, while I didn't live through it myself, I have no wish to see us return to. Racism is just too important to make assumptions about how Americans would handle such a step.

So, I started this thread to say thank you to that poster for having the courage to challenge my views with intelligence and consideration.

And to my fellow Americans - I wish to hell you would get past seeing the color of someone's skin and just see the person they are.... good or bad.

(I also started it because some moron male poster here said that women never admit when we're wrong. Well, this woman does. She does not see it as weakness - quite the opposite.)

I shall now resume my usual, somewhat caustic, posting style.

Thank you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Indeed, in a perfect world we wouldn't need laws like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is however most unfortunate that we do not live in such a world. I know that is why as much as I would want to know who the racists are who discriminate, the risks are too high.

Props for admitting when you're wrong and being open to the ideas of others CG. :thup:

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Comes to something when we feel that we should 'high five' someone who has the backbone to say 'I was wrong', don't you think? Speaks badly of society if it's a rare thing to admit such a thing.

Also, I'm really disappointed that I feel like I was wrong.... again, it speaks badly of American society when I have to recognize that perhaps not enough of my fellow Americans are past the whole 'race' thing.

4. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Oh, I'm shocked.

5. Dixie

Dixie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've seen people contort themselves past belief in attempts to avoid acknowledging they made a mistake. It reminds me of lying...It's ever so much more work to lie than it is to tell the truth! It's also easier to admit a mistake and keep moving than it is to go through life as unteachable.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It does sadden me to see that I over-estimated my fellow countrymen.

7. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Racism will never be eradicated - TEACH TOLERANCE.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I've always preferred the word 'acceptance' rather than tolerance. Tolerance seems kind of condescending.

9. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    I wrong once, too.

I thought I made a mistake.

10. Murf76

Murf76 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I wish I could lay my hands on it, but I have no idea where I saw it... But during the Rand Paul dust-up, I saw a video clip of a pretty good explanation for why it was necessary for the government to intervene in this. And the reason was that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was pretty much a course correction. We had deviated from the path in such a way that the deviance had become the norm and required government force to correct.

Not as good an explanation as what I saw.. but sorry, I just can't find it again. :(