holy fuck

Johnney

Dec 9, 2003
IOWA
Link
a friend of mine was murdered! cathy was a emt/paramedic in kansas. i was having lunch when i seen her picture onthe tube and heard something about them being killed.
this sucks.
me and jenn went down to seen her and her hubby, we used to serve together. at the USDB and at the MP company there on ft leavenworth.

holy fuck! that second article stated that her hubby killed them and then commited suicide!

ill tell you what John, her husband and me were think as thieves too. you think you know how to fish? that fucker REALLY new how. i thought the same thing, but i was dead wrong.
he was always a no bullshit guy too. wonder where it went wrong? hell i didnt even know they were divorced. but i do know Mat has a daughter, about 150 or so now i think.

wierd thing was, i was about to email him, then Jenn sent me that other article... guess that wont work, i dont have ultra long distance email.

but this is a bummer though

jsut followed that last link and it wanted me to register... so heres the story

<b>
Two MAST medics slain; suspected gunman found dead

By BILL GRAHAM and RUSS PULLEY The Kansas City Star

Two on-duty MAST medics were shot to death early Saturday in what authorities said was an apparent ambush by the former husband of one of the victims.

The ex-husband's body was discovered almost seven hours later in Lee's Summit, where he apparently committed suicide, police said Saturday night.

Katherine Malone, 30, and Tye Brown, 31, both of Shawnee, were pronounced dead at the station in Edwardsville where they were based.

An Edwardsville fire crew had checked the station because Malone and Brown failed to respond to dispatchers when asked to make a medical call shortly after midnight.

They are the first Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust medics to die on duty, said Jason White, interim director.

Police said the gunman was Matthew Bass, 37, of Mission. Police confirmed Saturday night that a man who committed suicide in a car in Lee's Summit about 7 a.m. Saturday was Bass.

Bass was charged Saturday morning, before his body was positively identified, in Wyandotte County District Court with two counts of first-degree murder in the case.

Malone had worked for MAST for seven years and recently earned paramedic status, officials said. Brown had served as an emergency medical technician for five years.

They returned to their post from a medical call shortly before midnight, said Eric Dooley, a MAST spokesman. The fire station at 600 S. 110th St. is owned by Edwardsville, but only MAST crews are based there. They were the only ones there when they were shot.

A dispatcher asked them to respond to another medical call at 12:12 a.m., Dooley said. They failed to respond. At 12:17 a.m., firefighters from another station were asked to check on them.

MAST received word of the shootings and dispatched an ambulance to the scene at 12:29 a.m. Agency supervisors also responded, White said.

“It's devastating,” White said. “Everybody knows everybody here.”

Investigators released few details Saturday. They did not say why they had termed the shootings an ambush.

Malone and Brown had worked as ambulance partners for almost two years, officials said. Police said they had been living together recently.

Grieving family members and co-workers struggled Saturday to cope with their deaths.

“Any loss of life is devastating,” said Rex Archer, Kansas City health director and a MAST board member. “That's what we're out here trying to prevent. When it becomes close to home with family, friends and co-workers, it hurts even worse.”

Counselors were called into MAST headquarters in Kansas City to help personnel on Saturday, he said. Extra supervisors were also on duty to help crews with emotions and to keep them informed.

“I've been doing this 18 years, and I never thought this would happen,” said Butch LeRoy, a MAST field supervisor who had worked extensively with both victims. “I didn't think anyone would shoot at people who save lives.”

Brown and Malone were excellent employees who took great care with their work and also enjoyed service projects for children and the public, officials said. They had also worked as a bike-mounted team for events at Kansas Speedway.

“Our condolences go out to the families,” said Kansas City Councilman Alvin Brooks. Brooks and Councilwoman Becky Nace went to MAST headquarters Saturday morning to console staffers. Employees and family members had gathered there in the early morning.

Brown also was a combat medic in the National Guard and had seen service in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Germany, said his brother, Devlin L. Brown. He was due to be shipped out again in June.

“His dream all through childhood was he wanted to be in the military,” Brown said. “He went in the military and found something he wanted to do.”

Public service runs in the family. Devlin Brown is a firefighter for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department. Their stepfather, Kenneth Rife, is a fire captain for the same agency.

Tye Brown liked to take his son, Garrett Brown, 11, and his daughter, Tiffani Brown, 7, fishing and riding on paddleboats at Shawnee Mission Park, his brother said. He enjoyed horses, archery and anything to do with the outdoors.

A graduate of Turner High School, he also grew up in that community.

“He used to work all the overtime he could, and he didn't really need the money,” Devlin Brown said. “He just liked the work.”

Malone had also become a part of the family, he said.

“We took them plates of food up at the station on Thanksgiving and Christmas,” Brown said. “She rode horses with us.”

Malone's immediate family members were traveling to the area from Indiana and could not be reached for comment.

She was a high-energy person who cared greatly about patient care, a co-worker said.

“If you had someone responding when you were having chest pains,” White said, “she would be the one you'd want to be looking up at. She was just a very fine person.”

Both Malone and Brown had obtained protection orders against Bass that forbade him to have contact with them, said Capt. John Cosgrove, commander of the Kansas City, Kan., homicide and robbery unit. Cosgrove said he was not familiar with the incidents that prompted the court orders.

Devlin Brown said he and his brother had talked about the dangers public safety personnel face.

“He worried about me, but I never worried about him,” said a tearful Brown as he served as family spokesman on Saturday. “He was a good guy, and he made helping people his life.”

Earlier this year another MAST paramedic, Mary Seymour, a 15-year veteran, was severely wounded in another ambush. She was shot twice in the chest. She suffered two collapsed lungs, and a bullet grazed her heart.

That attack came as Kansas City firefighters and MAST responded to a report of explosions and fire at a home near Bannister Road and U.S. 71. Police think a person who died in a fire near that location fired those shots.

The ambulance service is not contemplating any changes in procedure at this point, Dooley said.

“There's nothing we could have done to prevent it,” he said. “It was a premeditated ambush. Short of having an armed police officer with us all of the time, there's nothing we could have done. Their station is like their home, and they expect to be safe in their home.”

Shortly before noon on Saturday, the lone reminder that something had happened at the station was an American flag lowered to half-staff by local firefighters.

MAST crew members on Saturday wore black bands over badges or black ribbons in tribute to their fallen co-workers. The agency's flags were also lowered to half-staff.

Brown and Malone were “were good, hardworking employees,” Dooley said. “They appeared to enjoy what they did. It's really kind of hard to talk about this. We lost two members of our family last night tragically and unnecessarily.”
</b>

Johnney, sorry to hear that you have lost 2 people close to you. Its too bad the ex-husband didnt reach out for help. Hang tough, my friend.

Link
a friend of mine was murdered! cathy was a emt/paramedic in kansas. i was having lunch when i seen her picture onthe tube and heard something about them being killed.
this sucks.
me and jenn went down to seen her and her hubby, we used to serve together. at the USDB and at the MP company there on ft leavenworth.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Johnney. :(

Link
this sucks.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Johnney. :(

Look at the date on the OP, Noomi..... 2004

I grew up believing this kid was my half cousin... That is a long story within itself, however he was "family" not close but was around on Holidays....

"We Look Identical, Almost" | NBC Chicago

MSNBC even did an exclusive on it - a whole 1 hour documentary because the case was so bizarre....

Oh and in the same week a close family friend passed....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back