Holy CRAP! I wasn't the only one... re: Pope/Heaven

Mr. P said:
D an Jeff need to get out a bit...
I've seen what Merlin is talking about all my life..Not "our" denomination, yer damned.
What is the problem with people who are so fervent in what they believe?

dilloduck said:
There are many religious people out there who believe that the way they are worshipping is "the only way" and thoroughly convinced that they are right. They believe by default that people believing differently are going to hell but for some reason do not voice these feelings. I think "born agains" and "evangelicals" take it on the chin not so much for what they believe but for their confidence in saying it. People tend to dislike people who are absolutely adamant that they are right.

Good comment...their dislike could be based on, at least in part, Moral Relativism...would you say?

-=d=- said:
Good comment...their dislike could be based on, at least in part, Moral Relativism...would you say?

Moral relativism, how?

gop_jeff said:
Maybe we are just hanging out in the non-judgmental churches...

I wouldn't belong to any other kind. I've been lucky, from what I've read, never had a priest say that any other Christian denomination is not 'equal to' or somehow 'less than' in our eyes. If they did, I'd be out of there. I've never heard for that matter, any commentary about other religions at all, except for Jews in context of Old Testament.

gop_jeff said:
Merlin, I don't know which churches you've been going to, but I have only met one Christian in my entire life who thought that way - NewGuy.

While I wholeheartedly believe that Christ is the only way to God, I don't think any particular denomination or branch of the Church has the 100% solution - including my own.

Actually Jeff, I have not attended church in many years. But I do hang out with lots of folks who are devout and dutiful churchgoers. While they don't condemn other Christian sects, many do seem to believe that their particular branch has the inside track on salvation.

A few years ago I was drafted to officiate youth baseball. I normally don't do that because I dislike the ignorance quotient at that level. But I relented because without me and a few others, the league would have to fold for lack of officials.

Some of the leagues were pleasant to call, some were not. Guess which were consistently the worst from a viewpoint of the adults - coaches and spectators? If you guessed church league, you win the teddy bear.

insein said:
Thats the fallacy of all religions. Islam, Chritianity, Judism, Hinduism. You must believe the 1 true faith or perish in hell.

Hinduism doesnt beleive in hell. It is all about the reincarnation.

My question is why would you want to follow a faith that doesn't claim to be unique in teaching truth? If you don't believe its true than why believe it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have this desire to be informed and right about everything. If something's not right. I don't want to believe it. I want my life built on the foundation of eternal truth.

Alot of people just want a religion that is convenient for them and that doesn't involve much action on their part. They naturally aren't going to like it when God says this is how it is. For others, religion is about what is right and true. If its not right or true, they dont want to believe in it.

So I just want to know what is wrong if baptists believed only they went to heaven? (i dont think they do although some might think that only people who beleive like they do go to heaven, which narrows heaven down to one person of course). Why would you expect people to believe something they dont think is true? it doesnt make any sense. And if they think its true what the heck is wrong with them saying its true. Yeah truth isnt always candy and buttercups. But id rather see someone who honestly believes they are right argue something which can be used to discuss what is right and wrong but rather than saying anyone who says they are right is some intolerant bigot and try to stifle any debate.

Some people are right, some are wrong. Deal with it and try to be one of those who is right.

-=d=- said:
Unlikely or not, it's reality. People use what a FEW churches do as an excuse to avoid the MAJORITY of churches ;)
reality is, I've probably been in many more churches than you..simply because I'm much older..My experiance is, not "few" but many make these claims.

My question is why would you want to follow a faith that doesn't claim to be unique in teaching truth? If you don't believe its true than why believe it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have this desire to be informed and right about everything. If something's not right. I don't want to believe it. I want my life built on the foundation of eternal truth.

Alot of people just want a religion that is convenient for them and that doesn't involve much action on their part. They naturally aren't going to like it when God says this is how it is. For others, religion is about what is right and true. If its not right or true, they dont want to believe in it.

So I just want to know what is wrong if baptists believed only they went to heaven? (i dont think they do although some might think that only people who beleive like they do go to heaven, which narrows heaven down to one person of course). Why would you expect people to believe something they dont think is true? it doesnt make any sense. And if they think its true what the heck is wrong with them saying its true. Yeah truth isnt always candy and buttercups. But id rather see someone who honestly believes they are right argue something which can be used to discuss what is right and wrong but rather than saying anyone who says they are right is some intolerant bigot and try to stifle any debate.

Some people are right, some are wrong. Deal with it and try to be one of those who is right.

thanks for the help---you put it much more eloquently than I could !
Again I think that people who are certain and confident just piss some people off. I'll challenge em but I admire them for taking a stand and sticking to it.

Mr. P said:
reality is, I've probably been in many more churches than you..simply because I'm much older..My experiance is, not "few" but many make these claims.

Sure....want fresh-grated Parmesan on your plate full of ground-less speculation?

Forum List

Back