Holy Cities

walwor

May 19, 2004
Kentucky, USA
Someone may have already posted on this, but am I the only one who is perplexed over the consistent labelling of Najaf as "the holy city of Najaf" in stories that come out of the Associated Press, with no attribution? It doesn't say, "Najaf, a city considered holy by Shiites because of the presence of a shrine," it says "the holy city of Najaf" as if this quality of holiness is an undisputed fact. I'm not aware of any other cities that get this unqualified label- not Jerusalem, not Vatican City, not any other cities that have shrines or mosques, churches or synagogues. Yet since I first heard of Najaf I have seen it referred to as "holy." This is bad journalism and bad writing. "Najaf is in Iraq," or "Najaf is considered holy by Shi'ites," are valid facts. "The city is holy" is only true if you interviewed God about it.

walwor said:
Someone may have already posted on this, but am I the only one who is perplexed over the consistent labelling of Najaf as "the holy city of Najaf" in stories that come out of the Associated Press, with no attribution? It doesn't say, "Najaf, a city considered holy by Shiites because of the presence of a shrine," it says "the holy city of Najaf" as if this quality of holiness is an undisputed fact. I'm not aware of any other cities that get this unqualified label- not Jerusalem, not Vatican City, not any other cities that have shrines or mosques, churches or synagogues. Yet since I first heard of Najaf I have seen it referred to as "holy." This is bad journalism and bad writing. "Najaf is in Iraq," or "Najaf is considered holy by Shi'ites," are valid facts. "The city is holy" is only true if you interviewed God about it.

Dang you hit something I've always thought, but have never posted! Everytime I read that I go bonkers! Bad journalism seems to be the norm today, along with catering to Islam.

Not to be argumentative here, but I have heard as the vatican and Bethleham and Jerusalem as holy cities. It is just they are not being reported as under seige right now.

The bad reporting a journalism I agree with. The fact that Najaf is or is not a holy city is totally irrelevant - the relevance however is being given by the media's apparent love affair of Sadr.

HGROKIT said:
Not to be argumentative here, but I have heard as the vatican and Bethleham and Jerusalem as holy cities. It is just they are not being reported as under seige right now.

The bad reporting a journalism I agree with. The fact that Najaf is or is not a holy city is totally irrelevant - the relevance however is being given by the media's apparent love affair of Sadr.

I've seen that too Hgrokit, but not in EVERY freakin story! But point well taken.

If Najaf is a "holy city" because of its shrine, is my town a holy city because we have about 15 churches?

If so, the media ought to be calling every city in America a "holy city."

Najaf is considered a 'holy city' not because of the shrine, but supposedly the shrine houses the tomb of mohammeds cousin and his wife, or something like that.

gop_jeff said:
If Najaf is a "holy city" because of its shrine, is my town a holy city because we have about 15 churches?

If so, the media ought to be calling every city in America a "holy city."

It is where the brother, uncle, cousin or somebody of Muhammed is buried. He claimed to have taken Muhammed's place after his death (he said Muhammed passed the "torch" so to speak). But only a very, very small sect of Islam (less than 10%) recognizes this guy as being "holy". I kinda view this guys as Islam's Joseph Smith. The man never made the claim until 30 years AFTER Muhammed's death, so that is why only those that lived around him followed him. The rest of Islam rejected him as being "holy". A matter-of-fact, the rest of Islam pretty much considers the Shiia sect of Islam as being pretty blasphemous. The rest of Islam is objecting now only because it is Americans going after them. In the past, Sunni bombings of Shiia's and Shiia bombings of Sunni's, etc. have been common. Back in the 80's there was a huge bombing in Mecca during the hage (sp?) that killed THOUSANDS.

So the city is "holy" to about 10% of Islam. Najaf is the Salt Lake City of Islam as Salt Lake City is to Christianity. It is not at all holy to Christians, but it is considered Holy by Mormons (who consider themselves to be Christians with a twist).

freeandfun1 said:
It is where the brother, uncle, cousin or somebody of Muhammed is buried. He claimed to have taken Muhammed's place after his death (he said Muhammed passed the "torch" so to speak). But only a very, very small sect of Islam (less than 10%) recognizes this guy as being "holy". I kinda view this guys as Islam's Joseph Smith. The man never made the claim until 30 years AFTER Muhammed's death, so that is why only those that lived around him followed him. The rest of Islam rejected him as being "holy". A matter-of-fact, the rest of Islam pretty much considers the Shiia sect of Islam as being pretty blasphemous. The rest of Islam is objecting now only because it is Americans going after them. In the past, Sunni bombings of Shiia's and Shiia bombings of Sunni's, etc. have been common. Back in the 80's there was a huge bombing in Mecca during the hage (sp?) that killed THOUSANDS.

So the city is "holy" to about 10% of Islam. Najaf is the Salt Lake City of Islam as Salt Lake City is to Christianity. It is not at all holy to Christians, but it is considered Holy by Mormons (who consider themselves to be Christians with a twist).
For the record, as a Mormon, I do not consider Salt Lake City a holy city by any stretch. I do understand what you're saying about Najaf, though. Thanks for the explanation. I never thought that Najaf is technically "holy" to but a small percentage of the Iraqis. It's the whole "infidel" issue again...

-Douglas

Shazbot said:
For the record, as a Mormon, I do not consider Salt Lake City a holy city by any stretch. I do understand what you're saying about Najaf, though. Thanks for the explanation. I never thought that Najaf is technically "holy" to but a small percentage of the Iraqis. It's the whole "infidel" issue again...

-Douglas

To clarify (as I realize I wasn't) Najaf is not holy, just like SLC is not holy. But the temples/mosques are what are considered holy.

And for the record, I was not trying to offend with the Mormon statement. I was just trying to come up with an analogy that most Americans MIGHT understand.

freeandfun1 said:
To clarify (as I realize I wasn't) Najaf is not holy, just like SLC is not holy. But the temples/mosques are what are considered holy.

And for the record, I was not trying to offend with the Mormon statement. I was just trying to come up with an analogy that most Americans MIGHT understand.
Oh, no offense taken...I did like the analogy, though.

-Douglas

Forum List

Back