HOLY BIBLE Batman

Nemo Securus

Captain Common Sense
Jun 11, 2008
The Old North State
Something I don't think people question enough is what the deal is with the people who put the current bible together, leaving out certain text that were written at the same time as the ones allowed in the New Testament. Leaving out books about very important events of the era but leaving in Revelations; a book with an unknown author about outlandish forecasts. Were they left out to satisfy goals of the church or for other reasons? It seems a bit unethical to not fully represent all of the writers of the time but who am I to judge. Your opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Something I don't think people question enough is what the deal is with the people who put the current bible together, leaving out certain text that were written at the same time as the ones allowed in the New Testament. Leaving out books about very important events of the era but leaving in Revelations; a book with an unknown author about outlandish forecasts. Were they left out to satisfy goals of the church or for other reasons? It seems a bit unethical to not fully represent all of the writers of the time but who am I to judge. Your opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I think it was an effort to consolidate Christianity under some uniform code but flawed and more destructive than constructive. They pieced together something that they found a bit easier to defend or explain at the time but did a great disservice by ordering "unapproved" writings destroyed.
The left in the part about the truth setting you free. They should have read that part a couple more times.

I agree, I mean if there is an afterlife I bet Mary Magdeline and Judas are pretty mad ya know. Burning those text was kind of overkill to me. But then again they took religion a lot more serious than most people do today. I just think it would be so much better if all the texts were readily available now so people could draw their own conclusions about the stories. Might could have saved a lot of lives over time.

I agree, I mean if there is an afterlife I bet Mary Magdeline and Judas are pretty mad ya know. Burning those text was kind of overkill to me. But then again they took religion a lot more serious than most people do today. I just think it would be so much better if all the texts were readily available now so people could draw their own conclusions about the stories. Might could have saved a lot of lives over time.

Well the Church "officials" were pretty damn uppity at the time and twisted religion to suit their politics imho. Lots of weird crap that went on that the Christians today would not tolerate. Too bad about the burning of the library at Alexandria also. What a gold mine of knowlege !

It bothers me that modern Christians don't question things like this. They put their faith in what other men centuries ago have told them to. Men who had never even met Jesus. It's not their fault for believing what they do but I do wish they would be a little more curious. All in all though, they aren't hurting anyone, nowadays.

It bothers me that modern Christians don't question things like this. They put their faith in what other men centuries ago have told them to. Men who had never even met Jesus. It's not their fault for believing what they do but I do wish they would be a little more curious. All in all though, they aren't hurting anyone, nowadays.

I talk with a lot who have the courage to question old interpretations and share new insights. I'd be a bit wary to underestimate the depth of some Christian's beliefs.

Maybe it's just my area, but everyone around here that goes to church, especially the older ones, are happy just following whatever their preacher says is in the bible.

Maybe it's just my area, but everyone around here that goes to church, especially the older ones, are happy just following whatever their preacher says is in the bible.

Well, as long at they aren't hurting anyone, and they are happy, then more power to them!

Yes, I agree, i just don't understand why they wouldn't want to know more history of their own chosen religion.

Well, you did say they were mainly "older" people.

I think younger people do question more. Someone can believe in God, yet not take the bible literally.

Many Christens believe in gay rights and are pro-choice, are non-judgemental and want to make the world a better place.

Religion is so subjective, and you don't have to go to a church to worship God.

Where does the future lie for the Bible then? If it continually gets debunked, do you think we are going to see a move to a new type of worship. Like when humans moved from pagan worship to monotheistic religion to worshiping figures like Jesus, Mary, Muhammed, etc.

Where does the future lie for the Bible then? If it continually gets debunked, do you think we are going to see a move to a new type of worship. Like when humans moved from pagan worship to monotheistic religion to worshiping figures like Jesus, Mary, Muhammed, etc.

Well, humans will always worship some kind of higher spirit.

Different religions will always exsist, until there are no more humans left on Earth.

I like this quote:

"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong."

~John Lennon

say they were mainly "older" people.

I think younger people do question more. Someone can believe in God, yet not take the bible literally.

many have no true understanding of the Word of God. In a culture that tells people its ok to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, the search for true understanding of what the Bible is saying becomes lost and irrelevant. Thats why alot of people like to call people like the Bass a zealot and fundie. The Word of God never changes, its endures forever, but man does change.

Many Christens believe in gay rights and are pro-choice, are non-judgemental and want to make the world a better place.

Sorry but *REAL* Christians do not believe in gay rights[such as gay marriage and the belief that homosexuality in natural and that God accepts it] and abortion.

many have no true understanding of the Word of God. In a culture that tells people its ok to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, the search for true understanding of what the Bible is saying becomes lost and irrelevant. Thats why alot of people like to call people like the Bass a zealot and fundie. The Word of God never changes, its endures forever, but man does change.

Sorry but *REAL* Christians do not believe in gay rights[such as gay marriage and the belief that homosexuality in natural and that God accepts it] and abortion.

So you are saying someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior can't believe in gay rights and so that makes them non-Christians?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So you are saying someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior can't believe in gay rights and so that makes them non-Christians?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thats exactly what the Bass is saying. The Bible says man cannot serve two masters, Christians cannot support sin and at the same time claim to be of God, so anyone who supports anything that is sinful is not of God and therefore is not Christian. The Bible condemns homosexuality as an abomination and defines marriage as that between a man and woman, no one in their right mind can claim to be a real Christian and ignore this and or pretend this doesn't exists.

But the word of man definitely changes over time. God never sat down with a pen and paper and wrote the bible, I'm sorry, he didn't. MAN, however, did. Which was sort of the basis for the thread initially.

Do Christians believe in judging people?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There is a very narrow path to righteousness. What most of you want is a wide path that allows you do to what is convenient and easy. Does not work that way.

Try Matthew 7:13 and 14

But the word of man definitely changes over time. God never sat down with a pen and paper and wrote the bible, I'm sorry, he didn't. MAN, however, did. Which was sort of the basis for the thread initially.

The Bible was written by men who were divinely inspired by God. Just pick up and Bible and you would read that. The word of men does change but the Word of God never does.

No, but we believe the Bible, the Word of God and by extension God judges people, so when we bring the truth and it offends don't accuse us of judging for the One who is greater than us is the One who is judging.

Once again, for the slow. The Bible was written by men that were Divinely inspired by God. The words are not their words but those of God. Do a little research and you will discover this is the belief of all the Christian religions.

Forum List

Back