Holocaust tattoo and 16 year old.

Why should this kid need the parent's approval anyway?

I mean, if a 16 year old can get an abortion without parental consent, why not a tattoo?

Should a parent allow their 16 year old to have a replica of his recently deceased grandfather's concentration camp tattoo tattooed onto his own arm as a way to remember and honor his grandpa?

A relative is struggling with this decision.

Yes.

We should never forget.

Maybe they should have one done in ball point ink, that way they could also honor Anne frank

Why should this kid need the parent's approval anyway?

I mean, if a 16 year old can get an abortion without parental consent, why not a tattoo?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing......I hate when that happens! :lol:

I think I'd suggest he wait a couple of years. Give him time to get over the death (assuming it was recent) and let him think it through properly. They are permanent, there is no point rushing into it.

Why would anyone even want to have an opinion on what someone wishes to do to their body to honor a loved one?

Personally, as tattoos go, I think this is a great idea. It's better than just randomly getting a tat for the sake of getting a tat. Being as though you have to live with it forever, what better than to get one that MEANS something forever?

And it's not like the kid is 10. If you can drive a car at 16, you can get a measly tattoo.

Should a parent allow their 16 year old to have a replica of his recently deceased grandfather's concentration camp tattoo tattooed onto his own arm as a way to remember and honor his grandpa?

Depends on his motivation, I suppose.

If it's truly to remember the family mameber's plight and strength, then sure.

If he's going for shock value, smack him a few hundred times.

From a Jew who had many family members die in the Holocaust, I would say NO! Her grandfather was given a tattoo against his will. No futher explanation given
It's a him and that is an excellent point. The reason why I would never chose such a way to remember someone.
But it isn't me and not my arm. If he were my kid, I think I would say, chose between the tattoo and continued shelter under my roof. I would not be totally against the tattoo but I don't see why he couldn't try out having it first as a temporary tattoo to see if it really serves the purpose he intends it to serve. I would say a six month trial as such and then I might reconsider sharing my roof with an arm whose owner chose to make it look like that.

Yeah, but even the best intentions can go awry.
☭proletarian☭;2004530 said:

Depends on his motivation, I suppose.

If it's truly to remember the family mameber's plight and strength, then sure.

If he's going for shock value, smack him a few hundred times.
Yeah, but even the best intentions can go awry. Those of the tattood-ed as well as the smacker.

Isn't there some kind of rule about Jewish people not being able to be buried in a Jewish cemetery with a tattoo? If so, he is dishonoring his whole family by doing this. I don't think his grandfather would be proud.

Tell him to make a scrapbook or video. If that's what this is really about...

My older son is 19 and has been designing his "ultimate" tattoo for when he can afford it (I won't pay). The design has changed about 50 times. No one should make a permanent decision at such a young age.

Forum List

Back