Holocaust tattoo and 16 year old.

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
Should a parent allow their 16 year old to have a replica of his recently deceased grandfather's concentration camp tattoo tattooed onto his own arm as a way to remember and honor his grandpa?

A relative is struggling with this decision.

Should a parent allow their 16 year old to have a replica of his recently deceased grandfather's concentration camp tattoo tattooed onto his own arm as a way to remember and honor his grandpa?

Why not???

At first, I though no way....

but i also think that is kind of cool. It is a memorial to the man that will last his lifetime.

My understanding is that the religion frowns on tatoos though.

The more I think it over, the more I like the idea.

But I also think it should be given a great deal of thought as to the meaning of it, and also that there is more to Zaide than just the number

She thinks it's an impulsive decision and not one the grandfather would even care for.
But she thinks it's the kid's mistake to make even if later she will get grief from him for having allowed it.

I think they should let them, for one they could have wanted something that didn't have so much meaning to it. Plus teenagers will do it anyways.

At first, I though no way....

but i also think that is kind of cool. It is a memorial to the man that will last his lifetime.

My understanding is that the religion frowns on tatoos though.

The more I think it over, the more I like the idea.

But I also think it should be given a great deal of thought as to the meaning of it, and also that there is more to Zaide than just the number
They are ethnic, not practicing Jews so religion has little to do with it.

I think it is creepy and sensationalist and narcissistic myself. But I think most tattoos are that anyway.

I wonder if some would say it's wrong to appropriate such a powerful symbol. Not that a young kid could be mistaken as a genuine Holocaust survivor but some might see it as being an imposter.

I am pretty sure grampa would prefer a different aid to memory.

And I again, I think there would be religious objection. I am not sure though. 16.... Wait a bit.

If this were my child. I would tell them to wait until they were 18. At that point, I would drive them to the shop and pay for the tat myself if they still wanted it.

-TSO

It's up to the parent. Frankly, I don't see what the deal is with tattoos. Hopefully this fad will fade away soon.

I would not try to stop him but I would have a talk and suggest waiting till after emotions have subsided to see if it's more than just an impulse.

I think your objection is well stated. What is the reason for it?

At least he got to meet and talk about it. This is definitely something that requires a lot of thought and a lot of discussion first.

Aside from the fact that I would discourage my child from getting a tattoo, I don't see any reason to disallow that particular type of tattoo if he finds it inspirational.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/images/2006/01/18/auchwitz_a_tattoo_420x284.jpg
True. I guess it's just a matter of taste. There certainly are more tasteless tattoos out there. No tattoo is going to please everyone so if it pleases it's bearer, that's what is most important.

I am a US Navy Sailor. I am also a martial artist.

Both groups of people stereotypically have tattoos.

I currently have a yin-yang symbol in black and red at the center of the back of my neck, set in the center of a sun. There are 3 kanji down my spine below it that state "the way of the Scholar Warrior is to unite Wisdom with Action". I'm a Taoist.

In the Chinese zodiac, I'm also a red, wooden Dragon, and have the kanji for dragon on my right arm, in the center of a tribal band that goes all the way around my arm.

Those things mean a great deal to me, and I know about those things very well, but for each of those tattoos, there was at least 2 years of thought that went into each.

If the child knows EXACTLY what the Holocaust was, as well as most of what happened to his Grandfather while he was interred in the concentration camps. Make sure he knows enough to get the same number, same tattoo, same place, otherwise his rememberence is hollow.

And............since the family is Jewish, treat his getting a tattoo like a bar-mitvah, meaning he has to study and pass a test prior to being approved by the parents for getting it.

They're either going to gain a great deal of knowledge about their ancestry, or, they are going to look at it as too hard of a task and quit.

Either way, you win.

outside of the age thing I'd say hell yes. It's his heritage and a part of his family history that should never be forgotten. Besides, I've seen a lot worse impulsive tattoos that are exponentially stupid. I'd say, when the kid turns 18, to support his decision to honor his grandfather's memory in this way.

My oldest (19) and youngest (13) have both said they might like tattoos. We said when you're over 18. 19 year old still hasn't done anything and likely won't; procrastination is her middle name.

In this instance I'd say the same thing, have the kid wait until they are 18 then if they wanted to it's all on them.

I can't imagine someone who lived through the Holocaust would think their grandchild - or any family member - having the concentration camp number tattooed on their arm is a good thing. That the grandchild wants to honor their grandfather's memory is wonderful but the Holocaust happened to their grandfather, it wasn't who he was. It was the single most awful thing that happened to him and the grandchild wants to remember the grandfather . . . . with that?? No.

From a Jew who had many family members die in the Holocaust, I would say NO! Her grandfather was given a tattoo against his will. No futher explanation given

From your mouth to Hitler's ears.

Forum List

Back