Hollywood sues to stop Family movies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hollywood leaders have joined together in a major lawsuit to stop Family-Safe Viewing of movies on DVD. Among those who have signed up to this lawsuit include Martin Scorsese, Robert Fidel Redford, and Stephen Spielberg, along with leading studios MGM, Warner Bros, Disney, Sony Dreamworks, Universal and Paramount to stop a company called ClearPlay which does not edit but simply allows parents to skip over movies scenes they deem unsuitable for children to view.

www.grassfire.org/39/backgrounder.asp

2. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I for one feel ClearPlay is barking up a wrong tree. Comes back to freedom of speach.

In the article, they contend that too many movies are rater R or Pg13. Well parents, I am sorry, but if the movei has a rating you do not want your child to see, don't rent or buy it.

I think it fairly absurd to think that if you take out a scene or a few words, that the intent and meaning of the plot will be missed by the kid. If a character is one moment present and the next laying on the ground with mass quantities of blood everywhere, even the dumbest of kids is going to be able to draw the conlusion that something violent happened. So what is the gain of changing the content of the film?

Again, it is about individual reaponsibility. We as a society cannot regulate or legislate morality, It is an individual choice.

let people think for themselves. We get in enough trouble when government treis to do that for us.

3. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've heard of this Clear Play before. I think the idea behind it is a great one. Families should be able to filter out portions of the DVD to make it more family friendly.

The part that I get confused about is the copywright laws. it was my understanding that Clear Play would have to basically "copy" a DVD into their "machine" to be able to filter certain scenes. Clear Play says they wouldnt have to... I just dont see how you can add that type of software onto an existing DVD versus adding the DVD onto the software.

But then again... my VCR was one of the only ones in town that always blinked the time. :cool:

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't see anything in this as part of govt regulation of morality, but rather using technology to give parents an option to make decisions for their kids. There is no cencorship here. And I would add that a lot of ratings are very inaccurate so they are not a helpful guide to parents there are some movies that are given very children friendly ratings and still contain small elements of what parents would consider objectional.

5. lilcountriegal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I first heard of ClearPlay (I think) from an interview on the Today show a few months (?) back. They actually used it with a few movies and showed what the original movie had, and then how Clear Play edited it. When they say they edit for violence, they edit it for violence. I believe the movie was The Matrix and they completelly cut a scene just for a kickboxing move (no blood, just an actual kickbox move). Personally, i wouldnt waste my time or money using it... I agree with you in the sense that if its PG-13, your 6 year old child has no business watching it anyway.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    So now do the parents actually have control over what is edited, or does the device do it for you by some preset programming? That's what Im not too clear on?

7. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That could be said of anything. So, it is up to the parents to be aware of and to understand what it is they are showing their children. These same parents read the medicine bottle to determine the appropriateness of said medication for their children don't they? We do not have any additional legislation covering that do we?

My point is...we need less government not more. We are all intelligent people (well some) capable of making choices regarding our own lives

8. lilcountriegal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The device does it.

You click to "edit violence" or "edit language" and the device picks exactly what is edited and what is not....

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that the parents have the TV IV so far in that they can't break free of the euphoria to be proper parents with it.

It is a 27" sewerpipe plain and simple.

Anyone denying needs to get ahold of that 1st step.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well I definately agree with you on the less government idea.......And yes personal and parental responsbility is key to that