Hollywood Has No Nads in "2012"

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
I would guess this would be classified as PC, and Fear in hyperdrive coming from Hollywood. I'm wondering how did we get to this point?

Emmerich said that he got approached by people who wanted their landmarks destroyed, such as the 101 Tower in Taipei, the world's tallest building (pictured below).

But Emmerich was thinking of something even more explosive: the Kaaba, the cube-shaped building at the heart of Mecca, the focus of prayers and the Islamic pilgrimage called the Hajj; it is one of Islam's holiest sites.

Really?

"Well, I wanted to do that, I have to admit," Emmerich says. "But my co-writer Harald said I will not have a fatwa on my head because of a movie. And he was right. ... We have to all ... in the Western world ... think about this. You can actually ... let ... Christian symbols fall apart, but if you would do this with [an] Arab symbol, you would have ... a fatwa, and that sounds a little bit like what the state of this world is. So it's just something which I kind of didn't [think] was [an] important element, anyway, in the film, so I kind of left it out."

What even Roland Emmerich won't destroy: an Islamic landmark | SCI FI Wire

Emmerich, who is well known for decimating famed landmarks in his The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day, said that that he had no qualms about destruction of the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro because he is “against organised religion.”

But remained fearful of depicting anything that must offend the religious sensibilities of Muslims.
The 53-year-old Emmerich admitted that the original screenplay called for a sequence in which the Kaaba disintegrates to dust but realized that such a scene could result in the end of his professional career, if not his demise.
EVERYTHING EXCEPT MECCA AND MUSLIMS WILL BE DESTROYED IN HOLLYWOOD’S “2012” MOVIE | The Last Crusade

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
the movie looked like garbage to begin with...I would be more excited to go see the new Twilight movie coming out which unfortunately I am being dragged to go see by my wife.

FML

Forum List

Back