Holding Africa Accountable

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by NATO AIR, May 17, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    (Posted this on my blog (http://tonewfrontiers.blogspot.com) after I typed it at lunch time underway today... Thank yous to Dillo, Said1 and Johnney for creating and cultivating the seed of thought that is expressed here)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thoroughly enjoyed your article. Well said.

I know you've posted an article relating to Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire (Ret) and the Rwanadan genocide. He's now a part of our senate. I'm sure you've also heard that Canada proposed sending a small contingent there. Well add our political chaos into the mix and you get this. Here his take:

Link available at Winnipeg Free Press with subscription.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Thank you Issac. I enjoyed reading the article you posted.

It would be nice if, when Canada's political chaos subsided, whatever gov't is in charge would start to zing the AU and Sudan over what's happening.

4. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I would wholeheartedly agree. It seems like now there is funds and technical expertise for the mission available. We now just need a sponsoring nation and I agree with Dallaire and you that it should be AU led. To be realistic, I think the situation is out of Canada's hands though now. Given that any UN mission has to be backed by the security council, I think the responsibility lies with Russia, China, the US, UK and France to get the political momentum moving.

Nigeria appears to be a good fit both having both Islamic and Christian ties as well as having come from a background of ethnic turmoil of its own. Tunisia and Ghana as well have hardened peacekeepers with previous experience in Mozambique and Rwanda.

I just wish they all did this soon.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Me wonders how the US (and perhaps EU, but doubtful) could pressure leading AU nations to generate the political will to confront Sudan over this and get the peace monitor force expanded into a peacemaking instrument.