Hogan's Heroes was great TV.

Sep 12, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_maB9do6LE&feature=related"]I enjoyed it a lot[/ame] when it was first on, but I had no clue what was going on most of the time.

I got it on video for my kids, who also liked it.

And I did a bit of research on it. All the German characters had been refugees who left Germany or Austria either because of race or politics, usually both. The french character, leBeau, had spent time in concentration camps.

The show itself was groundbreaking because of the large role given Ivan Dixon which forced TV stations in the south who edited out black characters to include him as his role was usually vital to the plot.

Despite the fact that the show mostly showed Germans as cowardly nincompoops, the show is popular in Germany.

I have always liked the show and think it was one of the best written sitcoms ever. Read the bios on the other cast members to - i.e. Klink and Schultz. Remarkable and talented - the whole cast.

I loved the show in the 60s. I have seen it again recently and it does not age as well as some other 60s sitcoms (Get Smart, Green Acres)

Bob Crane was a first class jerk who ended up getting himself murdered

Other than that.........I know nothing.........nothing

I enjoyed it a lot when it was first on, but I had no clue what was going on most of the time.

And I did a bit of research on it. All the German characters had been refugees who left Germany or Austria either because of race or politics, usually both. The french character, leBeau, had spent time in concentration camps.

The show itself was groundbreaking because of the large role given Ivan Dixon which forced TV stations in the south who edited out black characters to include him as his role was usually vital to the plot.

Despite the fact that the show mostly showed Germans as cowardly nincompoops, the show is popular in Germany.

I thought the show was funny as hell. My inlaws, who are german hated the show. they would get so mad when ever it came on

I enjoyed it a lot when it was first on, but I had no clue what was going on most of the time.

Loved the show. I never knew about Southern TV stations editing out black characters. Of course I grew up in Seattle.

It was a fun show, Sgt Schultz really made it work. John Banner I think the actor's name was, don't know if he got the recognition he was due but he was good.

Banner and Aspin (who played Burkholder) moved to the US as adults in 1938. Klemperer, who played Klink, moved to the US as a teenager in 1935, so he had a southern California accent. Banner and Aspin retained their Viennese accents, and Banner and Robert Clary both were allowed latitude in add libbing their own home language dialog. John Banner had a lot of fun with this.

Banner and Aspin (who played Burkholder) moved to the US as adults in 1938. Klemperer, who played Klink, moved to the US as a teenager in 1935, so he had a southern California accent. Banner and Aspin retained their Viennese accents, and Banner and Robert Clary both were allowed latitude in add libbing their own home language dialog. John Banner had a lot of fun with this.

Lots of "history" with these folks. SS Maj. Burk......, whatever his name was, was in fact - a Jew!!! Lots of tidbits like that, if folks wanna dig.......................

The entire regular cast with the exception of Hovis, Dixon and Crane.

I believe that extended to Hochstedder, the SS guy as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRUfRfZ1zR4&feature=related"]Robert Clary, who played leBeau, spent time in Buchenwald[/ame] and was there when Patton's 3rd Army arrived. The first US troops through the gate were black.

The first US troops to arrive at Dauchau's sub camps were Japanese. Fate has a sense of humor.

Forum List

Back