Hoffman primed for dominant victory

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Raleigh, N.C. – Doug Hoffman has a large lead in his bid to be elected the new
Congressman from New York’s 23rd Congressional District.
Hoffman is at 51% to 34% for Bill Owens and 13% for Dede Scozzafava in the poll
conducted over the weekend. In a two way contest against Owens, Hoffman holds a 54-
38 advantage.
Among Republicans Hoffman is at 71% to 15% for Scozzafava and 12% for Owens.
With independents Hoffman holds a 52-30 lead over Owens. Owens is getting 67% of
the Democratic vote to 21% for Hoffman and 10% for Scozzafava.
It was somewhat of a tumultuous polling weekend, first with Scozzafava’s withdrawal on
Saturday and then with her endorsement of Owens on Sunday. But there were no
significant differences in the numbers at any point over the course of the weekend.
Hoffman led Owens by 18 points in interviews before Scozzafava’s withdrawal, 19
points in between her withdrawal and the announcement of her endorsement, and by 14
points subsequent to her encouraging people to vote for Owens.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NY23_1101424.pdf

Public Policy Polling is listed as a Democratic organization by RCP.

So, is Hoffman a Republican or an Independent?

Always got to go for the label huh? Try the best choice and leave it at that.

It's not a label issue dumbass. The GOP backed Diedre Scozzafava in this race. I am trying to understand whether they NOW will get behind Hoffman or not. I personally don't see how they can if Hoffman is not a member of the GOP. Get it now, Sparky?

conducted over the weekend. In a two way contest against Owens, Hoffman holds a 54-
38 advantage.
With independents Hoffman holds a 52-30 lead over Owens. Owens is getting 67% of
It was somewhat of a tumultuous polling weekend, first with Scozzafava’s withdrawal on
significant differences in the numbers at any point over the course of the weekend.
points in between her withdrawal and the announcement of her endorsement, and by 14

Last week a number of national Repubs came out for Hoffman, but some, such as Newt, said it should be left up to the local Repub party to choose a candidate, and the party should try to pressure the candidate, once elected, to vote the 'right' way.

Yesterday Scozzafava dropped out due to low polling, and this morning she endorsed Owens, the Democat.

So, who looks better now, the one who chose a candidate based on principles, or the one who chose a candidate based on politics?

For Yank:
Hoffman chose to run as an indepentent because the local Repub party would not have a primary, and the pary leader chose Scozzafava.
Hoffman has said he would caucas with the Republicans if elected, and would run in a primary as a Republican.

Last edited:
38 advantage.

Last week a number of national Repubs came out for Hoffman, but some, such as Newt, said it should be left up to the local Repub party to choose a candidate, and the party should try to pressure the candidate, once elected, to vote the 'right' way.

Yesterday Scozzafava dropped out due to low polling, and this morning she endorced Owens, the Democat.

So, who looks better now, the one who chose a candidate based on principles, or the one who chose a candidate based on politics?

For Yank:
Hoffman chose to run as an indepentent because the local Repub party would not have a primary, and the pary leader chose Scozzafava.
Hoffman has said he would caucas with the Republicans if elected, and would run in a primary as a Republican.

Thanks Chic. Now, my really big question: Where does Michael Steele stand on NY23?

Yesterday Scozzafava dropped out due to low polling, and this morning she endorced Owens, the Democat.

For Yank:

Thanks Chic. Now, my really big question: Where does Michael Steele stand on NY23?

Although a bit late, he has endorsed Hoffman.

For Yank:

Are you serious???? After first endorsing Scozzafava?? And with Hoffman not being a member of the GOP, what does this really say about the GOP itself?

Are you serious???? After first endorsing Scozzafava?? And with Hoffman not being a member of the GOP, what does this really say about the GOP itself?

That they've been playing Dem lite for years, that the people are sick and tired of this shit, that the people want true conservatives, and that the people are voting as such via Doug Hoffman. I hope he stomps all over Owens.

I'm in agreement with you on Steele (and Gingrich). A day late and a dollar short. If they were really conservatives they would have backed Hoffman from the get go, instead of paying him lip service now.

Last edited:
Lets hope so. It would be great considering the Republicans really shot themselves in the foot on this one. How could they have run that woman as their candidate in the first place? She just announced she is endorsing the Democrat for God's sake. Shame on Newt Gingrich for endorsing this woman. Newt and his gang just tried to play old school politics on this one. These Republican dinosaurs continue to subscribe to that old "Any Republican is better than a Democrat" theory. Less & less people are buying into that outdated theory though. This woman was certainly not any better than the Democrat. Good for New Yorkers for standing up and supporting the candidate who really does represent their beliefs. No matter what happens in this election,the biggest losers by far will be Newt Gingrich and his fellow old school check pant country club Republicans. Go get em Mr. Hoffman!

It says, like the democrats, they will take anybody that will empower them. CHoffman can play the conservative roll better than Scuzzy and already promised to Caucus with the Republicans. His "no Party alignment" status is just a cover up to his true Republican leanings and desire for power. The only problem was Scuzzy. So he challenged her and took her right to be the Republican enabler from her. Now ol scuzzy has turned into an Arlen Specter clone and ran crying to the Democrats, who already know that they will not win this election anyway.

Scuzzy the Republican wants power. CHoffman the Republican wants power. But in order to gain power in the Republican party, you need to act like a conservative in order to win their support. Operative word here is " Act"!!

A conservative independent, who will caucus with Republicans and be one of the more conservative members of that caucus. From what I have read, apparently the New York Republican Party mistakenly feared that Obama's popularity would get the Dem candidate elected so they appointed Scozzafava, whose policy positions make her seem more like a moderate to liberal Dem than a Republican, to run for the seat, but Republican voters, denied a primary vote, flocked to Hoffman, 71%, along with 52% of independents and even 21% of Dems, to Scozzafava's 10% of Dems. While most pundits are focusing on what this means to how conservative the Republican Party is going to be, I think the most significant number is the 52% of independents who are choosing a Tea Party supported conservative over a moderate Republican and a liberal Dem.

By itself, this race may mean little, but the latest polls show Christie's lead over Corzine is increasing as the election grows nearer, despite the WH's all out campaign effort on behalf of Corzine and despite Corzine massively outspending Christie with $30 million of his personal fortune on negative advertising in the last few weeks. If conservatives sweep tomorrow's elections, all in areas Obama carried a year ago, it will likely make Congressional Dems, especially those newly elected in 2006 and 2008, wonder if supporting Obama's positions on climate change, health insurance, financial regulation, national security, etc., will help them or hurt them in the 2010 elections, and these concerns could be reflected in how they vote on these issues now.

Last edited:

It's not a label issue dumbass. The GOP backed Diedre Scozzafava in this race. I am trying to understand whether they NOW will get behind Hoffman or not. I personally don't see how they can if Hoffman is not a member of the GOP. Get it now, Sparky?

So why didn't you just ask whether the Republicans were going to support Hoffman? You didn't, you tried to label him an Independent or Republican. Something you can have easily looked up yourself. You also failed to recognize that Republicans in this district have looked like Democrats on paper for a long time. So it was little more than a label to begin with. So unsure of your view you had to resort to belittling comments right away huh? :lol:

Either way,Newt Gingrich and his fellow old school check pant country club Republicans will be the biggest loser in all this. "Any Republican is better than a Democrat" is an outdated theory. Was this woman really better than a Democrat? In fact she just endorsed the Democrat in this election no? The Republicans could get lucky and dodge a bullet here but they really did do everything they could to blow it. Stop running frauds as candidates and maybe the Party can begin to be rebuilt. Give the old school Republicans like Newt Gingrich the boot once and for all. Go Hoffman!!

The only way the D's had a chance was to split the vote. The district has been GOP held for 20 years. The only D's to hold the seat were redistricted to other seats. Too bad the GOP didn't totally self destruct, but cest la vie.

Your tone, as usual is abrasive. Be careful, as you reap what you sow.

I understand how fearful you must be as Obama agenda slips in popularity, and what it will mean to your hopes for a leftist-country, but try to be more adult in your posts.

"..what does this really say about the GOP itself..."
It says that those of you who predicted the dimise of the Republicans after the last election were voicing a hope, but not a reality.

It says that the Republican Party may once again consider the 40% of the electorate that are self-identified as conservative.

Since it has been previously explained to you the reasons why Hoffman ran as an intependent, your post comes off more as a polemic than a reaction.

So why didn't you just ask whether the Republicans were going to support Hoffman? You didn't, you tried to label him an Independent or Republican. Something you can have easily looked up yourself. You also failed to recognize that Republicans in this district have looked like Democrats on paper for a long time. So it was little more than a label to begin with. So unsure of your view you had to resort to belittling comments right away huh? :lol:

That's the problem with assholes like you. You THINK you know me when you don't, and rather than answer this simple question, you resort to making assumptions about me and the intent of my post. If you had simply answered the question, we could have moved right along with the discussion. Instead, you only made an ass of yourself TRYING to pigeon hole me. Good show!:clap2:

Your tone, as usual is abrasive. Be careful, as you reap what you sow.

I understand how fearful you must be as Obama agenda slips in popularity, and what it will mean to your hopes for a leftist-country, but try to be more adult in your posts.

"..what does this really say about the GOP itself..."
It says that those of you who predicted the dimise of the Republicans after the last election were voicing a hope, but not a reality.

It says that the Republican Party may once again consider the 40% of the electorate that are self-identified as conservative.

Since it has been previously explained to you the reasons why Hoffman ran as an intependent, your post comes off more as a polemic than a reaction.

As with "saveliberty", YOU need to better understand the people of whom you speak, BEFORE you speak. Your assumption of me being a "leftist" is so off the mark, it makes you look like a fool to those who do know me. So, heed your own advice and be careful of what you sow.

This particular Election will be a Win/Win for the Republicans in the end. Don't believe the Liberal Media hype about this destroying the Republican Party. That's just more predictable wishful thinking coming from them. This Election will only strengthen the Party. I believe this even if the Democrat wins this seat. It's time for real change in the Republican Party. Time to boot the old school Republicans like Newt Gingrich. Stop running fraud candidates and maybe the Republican Party can make a comeback. Lets hope the current Republican leadership gets this message.

I thought we were here to debate issues, but you seem more intent on name-calling. If you don't know whether the candidate is Republican or Independent, you really are not ready to debate anything on this issue at the moment. Your intent became apparent in your replies to politicalchic.

Forum List

Back