Hoarders

This is really true.

I wrote a while back about us deciding to get rid of some of our huge book collection so we wouldn't have that to worry about when we sell another one of our houses. I have listed several hundred on Amazon, Alibris, ebay, etc and its nice to get those emails telling us there has been another deposit to our bank account. And, its really nice to see stuff going out of the house.

So far, I haven't been REEEEL sorry if a particular title or item sold but there have been times when I've thought about it --

More than anything else, I like being in control of my stuff and not the other way around.

We have literally 1,000s of books, which is why we can never move. I know most of them will never be ready again, and would be happy donating them to our friends of the library group, but mr. boe is rather attached. It's the only thing about which he's materialistic.

There is book out there called "The Inca Princess". My grandfather had it in his library but my mom wouldn't let me borrow it and he died that night. I was in 5th grade and wanted to read the book because we were studying the aztecs and incas in school. Somehow that book disappeared. The only thing I asked for from my grandfather. If any of you book hoarders have it, I'll gladly pay you for it, if I can afford it.

Could this be it?
THE Inca Princess A Historical Romance 1886 1167185234 | eBay

Embrace the EBay – there is nothing that is not for sale there :D
(though I should have bought it and then resold it to you :FIREdevil: )

Some behaviorists believe an aspect of the hoarding orientation, which is a recognized psychological disorder, motivates the compulsive accumulation and retention (hoarding) of excessive wealth.

Having accumulated a level of wealth capable of assuring a lifetime of luxurious comfort and continued prosperity, the rational mind would be inclined to turn away from the demanding efforts of accumulation (input) and toward benevolent and philanthropic pursuits (output). But the hoarding compulsion in this example manifests as obsessive preoccupation with input and retention.

I must note that this is different though in the fact that the loss is far less. A hoarder does not necessarily lose contact with friends or family but rather simply loses the ability to have them visit within their own home or deal with anything there.

Interesting that most of us believe our family is our biggest wealth and yet, from what I've seen so far, and I'm still learning!, the "things" these poor people have are worth less than nothing and the hoarding does indeed drive away family and friends.

I mean, pooping on the floor of your home? That's sends an unmistakable message.

But, so does not having a place to sit and the stench of roaches, mice and so on.

This is just heartbreaking.

Very true. Sometimes our priorities are out of sync. That and the fact is that you never realize how import and a person or family member is until you drive them away and discover the hole that is left behind.

But hey, we are only human and you can’t expect to get everything right the first time :)

I grew up with a manic depressive shopaholic hoarder of a mother.

It was not fun.

I moved out when I was 17 and haven't had any contact with her in over a decade.

She's fucking nuts.

I grew up with a manic depressive shopaholic hoarder of a mother.

It was not fun.

I moved out when I was 17 and haven't had any contact with her in over a decade.

She's fucking nuts.

If you wanted to sit down in my mother's living room, you had to first move a stack of newspapers, magazines and old mail. But, that's not why I had no contact with her for the last 30 years of her life or why I didn't go to her funeral.

Way too many people spend their life trying to heal the wounds inflicted by those they should have been able to trust to care for and protect them.

I feel for you and with you.

We have literally 1,000s of books, which is why we can never move. I know most of them will never be ready again, and would be happy donating them to our friends of the library group, but mr. boe is rather attached. It's the only thing about which he's materialistic.

There is book out there called "The Inca Princess". My grandfather had it in his library but my mom wouldn't let me borrow it and he died that night. I was in 5th grade and wanted to read the book because we were studying the aztecs and incas in school. Somehow that book disappeared. The only thing I asked for from my grandfather. If any of you book hoarders have it, I'll gladly pay you for it, if I can afford it.

Could this be it?
THE Inca Princess A Historical Romance 1886 1167185234 | eBay

Embrace the EBay – there is nothing that is not for sale there :D
(though I should have bought it and then resold it to you :FIREdevil: )

I don't know, the one I was going to read didn't say "A Historical Romance" and shouldn't that be "An Historical Romance?" I may buy it just to find out.

Forum List

Back