Hoarders and Voyeurs

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Hoarders - Video - A&E TV

Let me Start by saying that I Can't stand the Voyeur Culture that we have...

Having said that, like with Car Accidents, I have had the Occasion to Look when it's there and a Particularly Disturbing Example of this Society's Voyeurism is a the Show "Hoarders".

Of the Shows I have caught some of, I can Conclude that these People are Mentally Ill and should be Treated as Such.

"Helping" them Work Through the Inevitable by Digging through Piles and Years of Human Feces is simply Wrong...

There is only ONE Reason to do this, and it's for the Sick Amusement of the Viewing Audience.

Humoring Sick People for the Entertainment of the Masses is just Wrong in my Opinion.

I'm not even Sure these People are Mentally Capable of Consenting to having their Mental Illness Paraded around the World, Literally...

The Episode I Watched had a Women who was Living in her Dead Parents House who were the First Generation of Hoarders, and she was Bad enough, but the Old Lady who was Swimming around in her own Feces from YEARS of Adult Diapers just be Tossed around the House...

Well, that was as Disgusting as it is Sad.

The Fact that she could have Done this for YEARS without her Children, or ANYONE for that Matter Noticing, is a Reflection of our Society... And a Tragic one at that.

But did the World Need to be Witness to it?...

And is it Honestly Therapeutic for her Mentally to be an Unwitting Media Stooge for Advertising Revenue and the Entertainment of Voyeurs from the Comfort of their Living Rooms?

I won't Watch it again, but I can Understand why People do.

Probably Makes them Feel Better about themselves to see others that Bad Off.

:)

peace...

Having Personal Experience with Stroke and it's Affects, I'd say that the Women with the Feces all over her House had Suffered at Least One.

She should've been in Assisted Living 2 Years Earlier instead of as a Sideshow 2 Years Later.

Here Tubby Daughter who Stood in Judgement of her as the Show Exploited her Mother is another Story Entirely...

MeThinks she Probably Called the Show in the First Place.

peace...

Well of course her daughter called the show.

I've watched "Clean This House" or whatever it's called and it ended up being about a hoarder. I hoped it was going to be tips on how to clean house for people who are pathological bad housekeepers.

I'm a pathologically horrible housekeeper. I hate it, and I'm BAD at it. I can do it in other people's houses, I can set things up nicely in a NEW home, but for some reason I can't maintain my house. My mom couldn't (and can't) either so I blame her.

I'm not a hoarder, though. I could care less about the crap that clutters my house, obviously. Throw it all away, I could care less.

Anyway, I watched Clean This House or whatever it was, and it ended up being about a woman who hoards and there were no tips. Just the team going in there, confronting the woman, and working through her house with her and her daughter. The mom was actually really good about it...I don't think she's a true hoarder. She was a shopaholic, though, she had tons of new stuff she didn't need. But she didn't care when they got rid of it. The daughter had a little tantrum and drove away, I quit watching after that. I'm like tell me what to DO, not how insane people are. I already KNOW that.

i tend to be a hoarder ..i would always class myself as one..till i saw that show...i dont know if its a learned behavior or not...i know my mother is a pat rack...you wouldnt know it from the house...but dare to open a closet...bolts of silks from vietnam....i would say it has dry rotted by now....crazy stuff....in them closets....my cousin is a hoarder...you cannot walk thru the house for the stacks of papers and magazines....she is the closest family to me...i dont visit her...she has over 50 fucking birds in the house...i dont care how small they are...50 of them....i digress...but i have to wonder from my family....is it learned or is there some weird ass genetic thing...

it is funny....when you do the ocd mal...you know you are doing it....i know i dont need to unlock the door and check the fire ...i know i checked it..but i do it anyway....i check the doors...a few times..then unlock the door and go back and check the fire...if i am lucky this only goes on a couple of times...i think the stress of the last few months and being forced to lock my doors..which i have never done...has triggered this strange behavior of mine

a friend of mine died...left over 5 thousand books...in his house....you ever try to find someone to take 5 thousands books....i began to see what i was burdening my family with...in the event of my death....i gave away an extensive cookbook collection....i have donated things to claws and paws...i no longer try to hold on to things like that....when i hoard its more....if i find something on sale...bogo free stuff....i will buy the max i can...i have 15 things of all....in the laundry room...but they will be used...so my hoarding is a food thing...(o i dont even wanna hear the theories on that) i have 3 ..6 lb cans of peanut butter...8 jars of duke's....10 to 15 cake mixes....i really need to stop this mal

a friend of mine died...left over 5 thousand books...in his house....you ever try to find someone to take 5 thousands books....i began to see what i was burdening my family with...in the event of my death....i gave away an extensive cookbook collection....i have donated things to claws and paws...i no longer try to hold on to things like that....when i hoard its more....if i find something on sale...bogo free stuff....i will buy the max i can...i have 15 things of all....in the laundry room...but they will be used...so my hoarding is a food thing...(o i dont even wanna hear the theories on that) i have 3 ..6 lb cans of peanut butter...8 jars of duke's....10 to 15 cake mixes....i really need to stop this mal

At least it's not Adult Diapers full of 2 Years of Feces... ;)

Seriously, that Story was as Disturbing as any I have seen...

Not yours, of course... The Old Lady on the Show.

peace...

I can totally understand the book hoarding LOL. For awhile a friend and I were buying books from Goodwill twice every month ($8.00 for a shopping cart full). We would then sort through them...keep some...and donate the rest to the VA Hospitals,School Reading Programs and Senior Centers. Well...I went through some boxes I found recently and... OMG... I now have a huge stash of books that I will never be able to read in my lifetime. The crap/clutter adds up quicker then you think sometimes :eek:.

Thank god I'm off work the week after Christmas, because I have huge plans of boxing up junk and carting it off to the thrift stores in town.

Hoarding...

I have to think very hard about that word, and be careful myself. My parents, when they died, had a LOT of stuff, even though the house looked overall well-kept. There was just a lot of stuff. Not a lot, as in being able to see it everywhere, but a lot as in, if you go into certain rooms, you can see stacks and stacks of old junk or christmas shopping from years back, gifts that never got sent, collectibles, old clothes in dressers that were not being used anymore, etc. My mom kept it all organized and neat, so it was amazing to see just how much of it there was, when she died.

I have gotten rid of the vast majority of that stuff. Took me two years, and filling about 5-10 large U-haul boxes, which were donated to local charities, per week, and I got rid of about 1/3 of or half of the original amount. The only problem now is that I downsized my home twice since then. The first (out of three) moves was an upsize- to a 2600 sq foot house, with a basement and oversized garage- so space and cleanliness was never an issue- because that place had probably about 1000 extra sq feet of total usable space than my parents' 2300 square foot house with no basement or garage space to use. However, the next home was a 1500 square foot one, with a two car garage and no basement. Thankfully, I had gotten rid of about 1/3 of the stuff that was left, to be able to get the stuff I wanted to keep into the largest U-Haul they had available. Still felt pretty cluttered... 1500 square feet is not much compared with about 3400 square feet of total enclosed floor space. I almost wish I hadn't sold that house, but it was in a small town, and I am a city girl. =)
Anyways, since that 1500 square foot home, I started college, and could not afford the rent (another regret- renting instead of buying, but I will have to move a few times, now, being in school again, so it is probably okay overall) so I moved to a place that charged 350 dollars less a month, and has less than 900 square feet. I have a covered patio area, so I keep most of the boxes of stuff out there- at least the stuff that is not valueable. I did get a storage area, but it was not worth the money, so I have that stuff also. Actually, to move here, I got rid of an additional 1/3 of the furniture and other large pieces, (not 1/3 of the original, but 1/3 of what was left over) and am left now with really about 2/5 or 1/3 of the original amount in total, and it doesn't fit. I do plan another move to a larger place again, and the stuff I have held onto, is so dear, I just don't think I can part with some of it. Some of it, I can, though.. but that is all stuff that I have acquired since inheriting all this crap. I think that once we move to a place with a garage again (we don't have a garage now- it is a SINGLE WIDE mobile home, and all we have for storage space is a shed and the patio area, ick) with a little more square footage (even 1200 sq feet would be GRAND at this point) then we won't look like hoarders from the outside, lol.
The inside is tidy and organized, except for the spare room, which is a little cluttered, but just with a few boxes.

Anyways.. I understand hoarding, and the bigger the house is, the harder it is to tell if someone is a hoarder. It just takes longer to fill a bigger space.

I have gotten RID of literally TONS of stuff, and my porch looks like a hoarder lives here.. but that is just because we downsized our space, of course. When we move again, and upsize, it will look much less cluttered. =)

Just wanted to add some real world perspective to the whole hoarding thing, from my personal perceptions and experience. =)

Hoarding...

I have to think very hard about that word, and be careful myself. My parents, when they died, had a LOT of stuff, even though the house looked overall well-kept. There was just a lot of stuff. Not a lot, as in being able to see it everywhere, but a lot as in, if you go into certain rooms, you can see stacks and stacks of old junk or christmas shopping from years back, gifts that never got sent, collectibles, old clothes in dressers that were not being used anymore, etc. My mom kept it all organized and neat, so it was amazing to see just how much of it there was, when she died.

I have gotten rid of the vast majority of that stuff. Took me two years, and filling about 5-10 large U-haul boxes, which were donated to local charities, per week, and I got rid of about 1/3 of or half of the original amount. The only problem now is that I downsized my home twice since then. The first (out of three) moves was an upsize- to a 2600 sq foot house, with a basement and oversized garage- so space and cleanliness was never an issue- because that place had probably about 1000 extra sq feet of total usable space than my parents' 2300 square foot house with no basement or garage space to use. However, the next home was a 1500 square foot one, with a two car garage and no basement. Thankfully, I had gotten rid of about 1/3 of the stuff that was left, to be able to get the stuff I wanted to keep into the largest U-Haul they had available. Still felt pretty cluttered... 1500 square feet is not much compared with about 3400 square feet of total enclosed floor space. I almost wish I hadn't sold that house, but it was in a small town, and I am a city girl. =)
Anyways, since that 1500 square foot home, I started college, and could not afford the rent (another regret- renting instead of buying, but I will have to move a few times, now, being in school again, so it is probably okay overall) so I moved to a place that charged 350 dollars less a month, and has less than 900 square feet. I have a covered patio area, so I keep most of the boxes of stuff out there- at least the stuff that is not valueable. I did get a storage area, but it was not worth the money, so I have that stuff also. Actually, to move here, I got rid of an additional 1/3 of the furniture and other large pieces, (not 1/3 of the original, but 1/3 of what was left over) and am left now with really about 2/5 or 1/3 of the original amount in total, and it doesn't fit. I do plan another move to a larger place again, and the stuff I have held onto, is so dear, I just don't think I can part with some of it. Some of it, I can, though.. but that is all stuff that I have acquired since inheriting all this crap. I think that once we move to a place with a garage again (we don't have a garage now- it is a SINGLE WIDE mobile home, and all we have for storage space is a shed and the patio area, ick) with a little more square footage (even 1200 sq feet would be GRAND at this point) then we won't look like hoarders from the outside, lol.
The inside is tidy and organized, except for the spare room, which is a little cluttered, but just with a few boxes.

Anyways.. I understand hoarding, and the bigger the house is, the harder it is to tell if someone is a hoarder. It just takes longer to fill a bigger space.

I have gotten RID of literally TONS of stuff, and my porch looks like a hoarder lives here.. but that is just because we downsized our space, of course. When we move again, and upsize, it will look much less cluttered. =)

Just wanted to add some real world perspective to the whole hoarding thing, from my personal perceptions and experience. =)

Thanks JD---as usual a treasure trove of info. You certainly don't hoard your words !

Whats wrong with it? The person paying gets some pleasure, and the one selling gets some money. I think it should be legal.

....oh, HOARDING.....meh bad.

My folks belonged to several books clubs. Our house was always full of books. My apartment still has a pretty good number. But when my mom went to assisted living we took 30 boxes of book club stuff to goodwill. Where I imagine they recycled the lot of it. Just as long as I didn't have to. I still can't throw a book away. It has to go to a charity bin.

I think the program does have some value as people living in those conditions ie children feel very isolated. It lets them know they're at least not the only people living like that, how to get help and what can happen if things get too out of control. Same with intervention, many people involved with addicts feel like their alone, ashamed etc. These programs to provide a voice and valuable resources for some people, pure entertainment for others.

I do think adult family members of hoarders, who are fully aware of the situation are pathetic to not get help for the hoarders sooner. Waiting until their homes are totally destroyed and out of funds is despicable. I'd have no problem forcing help on my mother if things were so bad that she was living in her own piss and shit and I hope my daughter would do the same for me!

On the other hand, I'm reminded of what happens to old people who are forcefully committed by other authorities - bank accounts frozen, assets seized, house sold from under them and some other not so nice stuff.

I think the program does have some value as people living in those conditions ie children feel very isolated. It lets them know they're at least not the only people living like that, how to get help and what can happen if things get too out of control. Same with intervention, many people involved with addicts feel like their alone, ashamed etc. These programs to provide a voice and valuable resources for some people, pure entertainment for others.

I do think adult family members of hoarders, who are fully aware of the situation are pathetic to not get help for the hoarders sooner. Waiting until their homes are totally destroyed and out of funds is despicable. I'd have no problem forcing help on my mother if things were so bad that she was living in her own piss and shit and I hope my daughter would do the same for me!

On the other hand, I'm reminded of what happens to old people who are forcefully committed by other authorities - bank accounts frozen, assets seized, house sold from under them and some other not so nice stuff.

If you ever become a hoarer I will save you, Said1.

If you ever become a hoarer I will save you, Said1.
Pfft. Not a chance. If I can't pawn it, toss it. :lol:

Hoarders - Video - A&E TV

Let me Start by saying that I Can't stand the Voyeur Culture that we have...

Having said that, like with Car Accidents, I have had the Occasion to Look when it's there and a Particularly Disturbing Example of this Society's Voyeurism is a the Show "Hoarders".

Of the Shows I have caught some of, I can Conclude that these People are Mentally Ill and should be Treated as Such.

"Helping" them Work Through the Inevitable by Digging through Piles and Years of Human Feces is simply Wrong...

There is only ONE Reason to do this, and it's for the Sick Amusement of the Viewing Audience.

Humoring Sick People for the Entertainment of the Masses is just Wrong in my Opinion.

I'm not even Sure these People are Mentally Capable of Consenting to having their Mental Illness Paraded around the World, Literally...

The Episode I Watched had a Women who was Living in her Dead Parents House who were the First Generation of Hoarders, and she was Bad enough, but the Old Lady who was Swimming around in her own Feces from YEARS of Adult Diapers just be Tossed around the House...

Well, that was as Disgusting as it is Sad.

The Fact that she could have Done this for YEARS without her Children, or ANYONE for that Matter Noticing, is a Reflection of our Society... And a Tragic one at that.

But did the World Need to be Witness to it?...

And is it Honestly Therapeutic for her Mentally to be an Unwitting Media Stooge for Advertising Revenue and the Entertainment of Voyeurs from the Comfort of their Living Rooms?

I won't Watch it again, but I can Understand why People do.

Probably Makes them Feel Better about themselves to see others that Bad Off.

peace...

The most agonizingly painful thing I have done today is read this post.:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back