Ho Hum, Another UN Scandal

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=630610

U.N. Launches Disciplinary Action Against Official Responsible for Upholding U.N. Integrity
By NICK WADHAMS
The Associated Press
Mar. 31, 2005 - The United Nations launched disciplinary action Thursday against the U.N. official responsible for upholding the integrity of the world body after he was accused of violating regulations that cover integrity and competence, a U.N. spokesman said Thursday.

The allegations against Dileep Nair, head of the Office of Internal Oversight Services, were first detailed in a report released Tuesday by an independent committee probing allegations of misconduct in the now-defunct oil-for-food program in Iraq.

The report found that Nair had paid an employee with money from the $64 billion program although the staffer's work was not directly involved in the troubled plan that allowed Iraq to sell oil and use the proceeds to buy food and other humanitarian goods.

The U.N. accusations were filed Wednesday and Nair has seven days to respond, spokesman Fred Eckhard said. He could face discipline within the United Nations, but no criminal punishment.

Nair refused to discuss the charges Thursday and referred all questions to Eckhard's office. On Tuesday, he had denied the allegations, claiming he had approval for the hiring move from the U.N. controller...

i have always wondered...

the 64 billion dollar oil for food plan that allowed Iraq to sell oil and use the proceeds to buy food and other humanitarian goods.

why were his people starving ?

manu1959 said:
i have always wondered...

the 67 million dollar oil for food plan that allowed Iraq to sell oil and use the proceeds to buy food and other humanitarian goods.

why were his people starving ?
Easy answer, it was the US fault. Never mind how, put it in the bank.

Kathianne said:
Easy answer, it was the US fault. Never mind how, put it in the bank.

he had nice russian tanks, german nightvision goggles, chinese silkworm missles and french jets though

manu1959 said:
he had nice russian tanks, german nightvision goggles, chinese silkworm missles and french jets though

Really Manu, it's all the US fault. Really.

manu1959 said:
i know.....i was just pointing out that he had some cool toys

That is true. But now he doesn't get to play with them. :boohoo:

Forum List

Back