Hmmmm it's supposedly hotter but the sea level dropped 10mm

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
So what gives? The temps are "going up" so that means sea level must rise...it's inevitable, but lo and behold it is dropping.

Attachments

• $cu_sea_level_20101.png
    $cu_sea_level_20101.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 55
Did you see the latest catastrope paper that says even a 2 degree increase will put us over the tipping point?
"The results show temperatures appear to have been more than 5 ˚C warmer in polar regions while the tropics only warmed marginally; strikingly similar to recent trends. Not only this, but taken together, the world appears to have been some 1.9 ˚C warmer when compared to preindustrial temperatures. Critically, the warmer temperatures appear to have resulted in global sea levels some 6.6 to 9.4 metres higher than today, with a rate of rise of between 60 to 90 centimetres per decade — more than double that recently observed."

Hahaha. More than double recently seen! More like more than 10x recently seen. How does crap like that make it through peer review? I guess horror stories are as popular as horror movies when it comes to Global Climate Disruption.

Did you see the latest catastrope paper that says even a 2 degree increase will put us over the tipping point?
"The results show temperatures appear to have been more than 5 ˚C warmer in polar regions while the tropics only warmed marginally; strikingly similar to recent trends. Not only this, but taken together, the world appears to have been some 1.9 ˚C warmer when compared to preindustrial temperatures. Critically, the warmer temperatures appear to have resulted in global sea levels some 6.6 to 9.4 metres higher than today, with a rate of rise of between 60 to 90 centimetres per decade — more than double that recently observed."

Hahaha. More than double recently seen! More like more than 10x recently seen. How does crap like that make it through peer review? I guess horror stories are as popular as horror movies when it comes to Global Climate Disruption.

As I said earlier the current climatological peer review process is a huge circle jerk. It is a very small coterie that controls what is published. That makes it false. The peer review process is broken and in their case needs to be abolished.

Now what do real scientists say on this subject?

A new view on sea level rise : article : Nature Reports Climate Change

Over the course of the twentieth century, the rate of sea level rise has roughly tripled in response to 0.8 °C global warming2. Since the beginning of satellite measurements, sea level has risen about 80 per cent faster, at 3.4 millimetres per year3, than the average IPCC model projection of 1.9 millimetres per year. The difference between the semi-empirical estimates and the model-based estimates of the IPCC can be attributed largely to the response of continental ice to greenhouse warming. The IPCC range assumes a near-zero net contribution of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets to future sea level rise, on the basis that Antarctica is expected to gain mass from an increase in snowfall. Observations show, however, that both ice sheets have been losing mass at an accelerating rate over the past two decades4.

A number of recent studies taking the semi-empirical approach have predicted much higher sea level rise for the twenty-first century than the IPCC, exceeding one metre if greenhouse gas emissions continue to escalate (Fig. 1). These new results have found wide recognition in the scientific community, as recent broad-based assessments show5, 6, 7. The question is: how plausible are the new estimates?

All I know is my favorite beach in Florida was about 100 feet bigger then it used to be the last time I was there. Either they trucked in a shit load of sand, or the ocean level was lower :)

The Secret of Sea Level Rise: It Will Vary Greatly By Region by Michael D. Lemonick: Yale Environment 360

For at least two decades now, climate scientists have been telling us that CO2 and other human-generated greenhouse gases are warming the planet, and that if we keep burning fossil fuels the trend will continue. Recent projections suggest a global average warming of perhaps 3 to 4 degrees C, or 5.4 to 7 degrees F, by the end of this century.

But those same scientists have also been reminding us consistently that this is just an average. Thanks to all sorts of regional factors — changes in vegetation, for example, or ice cover, or prevailing winds — some areas are likely to warm more than that, while others should warm less.

What’s true for temperature, it turns out, is also true for another frequently invoked consequence of global warming. Sea level, according to the best current projections, could rise by about a meter by 2100, in large part due to melting of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets. But that figure, too, is just a global average. In some places — Scotland, Iceland, and Alaska for example — it could be significantly less in the centuries to come. In others, like much of the eastern United States, it could be significantly more.

And among the most powerful influences on regional sea level is a surprising force: the massive polar ice sheets and their gravitational pull, which will lessen as the ice caps melt and shrink, with profoundly different effects on sea level in various parts of the globe.

All I know is my favorite beach in Florida was about 100 feet bigger then it used to be the last time I was there. Either they trucked in a shit load of sand, or the ocean level was lower :)

How many years was it between the last two times you been to that beach and how high of a slope does it rise within the 100 feet. We can get a estimate of sea level rise through this.

Last edited:

Hi Charles,

They truck it in. Have been for decades otherwise there would be no beaches in Florida.

Now what do real scientists say on this subject?

A new view on sea level rise : article : Nature Reports Climate Change

Over the course of the twentieth century, the rate of sea level rise has roughly tripled in response to 0.8 °C global warming2. Since the beginning of satellite measurements, sea level has risen about 80 per cent faster, at 3.4 millimetres per year3, than the average IPCC model projection of 1.9 millimetres per year. The difference between the semi-empirical estimates and the model-based estimates of the IPCC can be attributed largely to the response of continental ice to greenhouse warming. The IPCC range assumes a near-zero net contribution of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets to future sea level rise, on the basis that Antarctica is expected to gain mass from an increase in snowfall. Observations show, however, that both ice sheets have been losing mass at an accelerating rate over the past two decades4.

A number of recent studies taking the semi-empirical approach have predicted much higher sea level rise for the twenty-first century than the IPCC, exceeding one metre if greenhouse gas emissions continue to escalate (Fig. 1). These new results have found wide recognition in the scientific community, as recent broad-based assessments show5, 6, 7. The question is: how plausible are the new estimates?

God olfraud I hate to tell you but thet IPCC report is so full of crap that even they admitted it!

Try again!

The Secret of Sea Level Rise: It Will Vary Greatly By Region by Michael D. Lemonick: Yale Environment 360

For at least two decades now, climate scientists have been telling us that CO2 and other human-generated greenhouse gases are warming the planet, and that if we keep burning fossil fuels the trend will continue. Recent projections suggest a global average warming of perhaps 3 to 4 degrees C, or 5.4 to 7 degrees F, by the end of this century.

But those same scientists have also been reminding us consistently that this is just an average. Thanks to all sorts of regional factors — changes in vegetation, for example, or ice cover, or prevailing winds — some areas are likely to warm more than that, while others should warm less.

What’s true for temperature, it turns out, is also true for another frequently invoked consequence of global warming. Sea level, according to the best current projections, could rise by about a meter by 2100, in large part due to melting of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets. But that figure, too, is just a global average. In some places — Scotland, Iceland, and Alaska for example — it could be significantly less in the centuries to come. In others, like much of the eastern United States, it could be significantly more.

And among the most powerful influences on regional sea level is a surprising force: the massive polar ice sheets and their gravitational pull, which will lessen as the ice caps melt and shrink, with profoundly different effects on sea level in various parts of the globe.

I find it interesting that the areas that will see sea levels rise are only those that are densely inhabited. The sea levels will not rise much where there are no people evidently.
I wonder how they figured that out. Oh, right, scare the savages and they'll give you their money to "save" them.

Methinks that that time has passed.

Is that why I have to turn my drinking glass a full turn? Otherwise, all the water stays on one side. :cuckoo:

Researchers from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena (US), TU Delft and SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research have now succeeded in carrying out that correction far more accurately. They did so using combined data from the GRACE mission, GPS measurements on land and sea floor pressure measurements. These reveal that the sea floor under Greenland is falling more rapidly than was first thought. One of the researchers, Dr Bert Vermeersen of TU Delft, explains: 'The corrections for deformations of the Earth's crust have a considerable effect on the amount of ice that is estimated to be melting each year. We have concluded that the Greenland and West Antarctica ice caps are melting at approximately half the speed originally predicted.' The average rise in sea levels as a result of the melting ice caps is also lower.

Melting rate of ice caps in Greenland and Western Antarctica lower than expected | R&D Mag

Half the rate? Really?

Global Warming, RIP.

P.S. That would make more satellites in need of recalibrating.

As Florida Keys residents confront rising sea levels, what lessons?

Waters around the Florida Keys are nine inches higher than a century ago. Efforts to battle rising sea levels make the Keys 'a canary in the coal mine,' an indicator of what other areas might need to prepare for.

As Florida Keys residents confront rising sea levels, what lessons? - CSMonitor.com

The lesson here is that not all Christians are crazy.

It isn't rising sea levels rdean. Florida is over a region of settling land. Remember all the sink holes?

How many years was it between the last two times you been to that beach and how high of a slope does it rise within the 100 feet. We can get a estimate of sea level rise through this.

2005 and 2009

Forum List

Back