Hmmm, Shouldn't Holy Days of Obligation Now Be Recognized?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Whacko story of the week:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--muslimholidays0528may28,0,1013316,print.story

Atlantic City schools to recognize Islamic holidays

May 28, 2004, 1:13 PM EDT

sted 'Id' thruout. atldpbn1wpsmbn

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) _ Atlantic City has become the fourth school district in New Jersey to recognize Muslim holidays.

The city's board of education approved districtwide days off for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, two sacred Islamic holidays, for the upcoming school year.

Previously, under state law Muslim students and teachers were allowed to take off Islamic holidays without being penalized. According to Superintendent Fredrick P. Nickles, about 560 of the city's 7,800 children are Muslim.

Board member Cornell Davis, who is Muslim, called the decision "courageous" in light of current tensions between Americans and Islamic extremists.

"It shows a lot of character about us as Americans," Davis told The Press of Atlantic City.

Eid al-Fitr, a festival celebrating the breaking of the fast of Ramadan, will be observed on Nov. 15. Eid al-Adha, a festival of sacrifice and pilgrimage, will be observed on Jan. 21.

To fit the two holidays into the school calendar, officials reduced the number of days schools can take off for emergencies from six to four. That means if schools close for snow or other emergencies more than four days, the days would have to be made up during spring recess or on Saturdays in June, Nickles said.

School districts in Trenton, Paterson and Irvington already recognize Islamic holidays.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Originally posted by Kathianne
Whacko story of the week:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--muslimholidays0528may28,0,1013316,print.story

Atlantic City schools to recognize Islamic holidays

May 28, 2004, 1:13 PM EDT

sted 'Id' thruout. atldpbn1wpsmbn

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) _ Atlantic City has become the fourth school district in New Jersey to recognize Muslim holidays.

The city's board of education approved districtwide days off for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, two sacred Islamic holidays, for the upcoming school year.

Previously, under state law Muslim students and teachers were allowed to take off Islamic holidays without being penalized. According to Superintendent Fredrick P. Nickles, about 560 of the city's 7,800 children are Muslim.

Board member Cornell Davis, who is Muslim, called the decision "courageous" in light of current tensions between Americans and Islamic extremists.

"It shows a lot of character about us as Americans," Davis told The Press of Atlantic City.

Eid al-Fitr, a festival celebrating the breaking of the fast of Ramadan, will be observed on Nov. 15. Eid al-Adha, a festival of sacrifice and pilgrimage, will be observed on Jan. 21.

To fit the two holidays into the school calendar, officials reduced the number of days schools can take off for emergencies from six to four. That means if schools close for snow or other emergencies more than four days, the days would have to be made up during spring recess or on Saturdays in June, Nickles said.

School districts in Trenton, Paterson and Irvington already recognize Islamic holidays.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Cool. To the extent that we have government recognized "Christian" holidays, it is only fair that government recognize Muslim holidays. Yet, I don't think that government should recognize any religious holiday. To avoid all the cries that the government is favoring this religion or that religion, let us keep government as far apart from each other as possible.

Cool. To the extent that we have government recognized "Christian" holidays, it is only fair that government recognize Muslim holidays. Yet, I don't think that government should recognize any religious holiday. To avoid all the cries that the government is favoring this religion or that religion, let us keep government as far apart from each other as possible.
by mattskramer

That was the point, the schools DO NOT recognize other religious holidays. It's 'winter break', 'spring break', etc. There are no school holidays for Yom Kippur or Good Friday, nor should there be. There should be no days off school, though parents should be able to call in their children if that is their choice.

Muslim holidays should be treated as all others.

Originally posted by Kathianne

That was the point, the schools DO NOT recognize other religious holidays. It's 'winter break', 'spring break', etc. There are no school holidays for Yom Kippur or Good Friday, nor should there be. There should be no days off school, though parents should be able to call in their children if that is their choice.

Muslim holidays should be treated as all others.

Okay. I need to review my calendar. Does winter break fall on Christmas? If, so, it is certainly convenient for Christians. Parent's don't have to call in for their Christian children to be absent on that day. There should be no days off school... Does that include winter break and spring break too?

Basically, as long as there is consistency and fairness, I don't mind. I wonder if the school calendars mention Christmas. If they do, I hope that they mention religions days on non-Christians too. All I ask for is fairness.

The school calendars in my area mention NO RELIGIOUS holidays. Nor should they.

Originally posted by mattskramer

It is unconstitutional to favor one religion over another. So i agree with you. Christmas is the only national holiday i can think of though that deals with Christianity.

Forum List

Back