hmm seems my ideas of no-real-skills=no work are coming to bear

Future hiring will mainly benefit the high-skilled - Yahoo! News

Whenever companies start hiring freely again, job-seekers with specialized skills and education will have plenty of good opportunities. Others will face a choice: Take a job with low pay — or none at all.

its time to start enrolling in college people! and don't waste time on liberal arts or business BS....

The way i understand it the few jobs that will be created in the future that serve the highly educated will be competitively contested......while the vast majority of jobs will be low paying, requiring little more than an 8th grade education.

Which some people say is why our schools are dumbing down students in preparation.

You might get a masters degree and end up working as a shift manager at a chicken processing plant:

Educators Push Back Against Obama's "Business Model" for School Reforms

It's a lengthyish read, but it squarely addresses your thread topic.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Whenever companies start hiring freely again, job-seekers with specialized skills and education will have plenty of good opportunities. Others will face a choice: Take a job with low pay — or none at all.

its time to start enrolling in college people! and don't waste time on liberal arts or business BS....
I think most employers would prefer to train an applicant who has already learned to think and analyze problems the specific technical skills pertinent to an industry than to teach a new employee who has technical skills — and nothing more — how to think.

With that said, it will certainly be easier to get a good job, with a job specific education but I suspect over the long run the liberal arts education would be more beneficial, particularly if it was coupled with job specific education. Of course who can afford two degrees. With the cost of college today most people can't afford a single degree.

The Value of Liberal Arts Education

WADR, education does not = skill

education = HIGHLY Skilled

I agree with blu here, but don't really see how its anything new:

(from the link cited in the OP)

Job creation will likely remain weak for months or even years. But once employers do step up hiring, some economists expect job openings to fall mainly into two categories of roughly equal numbers:

• Professional fields with higher pay. Think lawyers, research scientists and software engineers.

• Lower-skill and lower-paying jobs, like home health care aides and store clerks.

And those in between? Their outlook is bleaker. Economists foresee fewer moderately paid factory supervisors, postal workers and office administrators.

I can only hope that by "office administrators" we're saying "Bureaurcrats" and any of a wide range of government paid desk jockies

well, frankly every down turn we hear same. I heard it back in the late 70's heard it in the back end 90s', again in 02-5.....

old Jewish grandmothers cliche; "get a job inside"...

I think most employers would prefer to train an applicant who has already learned to think and analyze problems the specific technical skills pertinent to an industry than to teach a new employee who has technical skills — and nothing more — how to think.

With that said, it will certainly be easier to get a good job, with a job specific education but I suspect over the long run the liberal arts education would be more beneficial, particularly if it was coupled with job specific education. Of course who can afford two degrees. With the cost of college today most people can't afford a single degree.

:rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

We can laugh, but there are tens of thousands of poor kids out there that believe they'll actually be employable after they get their degrees in "Women's Studies," or "Black History" or "Underwater Basket Weaving."

We can laugh, but there are tens of thousands of poor kids out there that believe they'll actually be employable after they get their degrees in "Women's Studies," or "Black History" or "Underwater Basket Weaving."

Funniest thing about it is they are starting to sue the colleges.

College Grad Can't Find Job, Wants $$$ Back | NBC New York

How many suits like this do you think it will take before colleges stop offering Liberal Arts?

I think the day of only having a high school education and getting a decent job are pretty much over. You are going to have to have a beneficial degree to be able to land that "super" job in the future. I also suspect that if you are one of the people who have multiple exposed tattoos, piercings, and those goofy things in your ear lobes, it's going to be a hard row to hoe to find any kind of a decent job.

How many suits like this do you think it will take before colleges stop offering Liberal Arts?

Yeah, this is the second article like this I've run across: And the common denominator is you gotta dig to find simple information, e.g. What was the SUBJECT of the degree the student of "information technology" received. The article never really says. I guess we're to assume that it has something to do with business? information? technology? Who knows?.....but it SOUNDS good, doesn't it?

I think this directly adresses the OP when we speak of:

HIGHLY SKILLED>>>SKILLED>>>>Educated

As the sought after employees of the future.

I think the day of only having a high school education and getting a decent job are pretty much over. You are going to have to have a beneficial degree to be able to land that "super" job in the future. I also suspect that if you are one of the people who have multiple exposed tattoos, piercings, and those goofy things in your ear lobes, it's going to be a hard row to hoe to find any kind of a decent job.

You don't think Bartenders can make a "decent" living?

Hell, I've been known to tip pretty well if one shows a little cleavage, and has a pleasent demeanor.....like Phoenix.

sometimes highly skilled means journeyman plumber or truck driver with a clean driving record spanning decades.

Skill has nothing to do with education, esp in the job market.

Skill= experience in the trade is much more like it.

As best as I can tell the job market of the future is gonna shift even further into the service sector and education does little to prepare people for the service sector or the trades.

Think about it: the only secure jobs and industries in the US are those things that simply can't be outsourced.

like plumbers. Garbage collectors, firemen, carpenters, taxi drivers, nurses, Docs, morticians. Law enforcement.

Obama and his wife have been telling people to forego education and learn a "trade" for years.

They like it if the poor people are dumb as well.

Yeah, this is the second article like this I've run across: And the common denominator is you gotta dig to find simple information, e.g. What was the SUBJECT of the degree the student of "information technology" received. The article never really says. I guess we're to assume that it has something to do with business? information? technology? Who knows?.....but it SOUNDS good, doesn't it?

I think this directly adresses the OP when we speak of:

As the sought after employees of the future.

Education makes a difference, but it is not going to be the factor that lands the jobs that really make a difference, especially if Obama gets his way and starts sending everyone to college. How much is a college degree going to be worth when everyone at McDonald's has one?

Forum List

Back