Hiv virus used to cure leukemia cancer

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
In a most amazing development, US doctors in Philadelphia said they have saved a seven-year-old girl who was close to dying from leukemia with a pioneering use of a least expected agent – a modified form of the HIV virus! Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells and it normally starts in the bone marrow.

After fighting her disease with chemotherapy for almost two years and suffering two relapses, Emily Whitehead “faced grim prospects,” doctors at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia had said. So in February this year they agreed to take her on in an experimental program that fought fire with fire. Helped by a genetically altered HIV virus — stri*ped of its devastating properties that cause AIDS — doctors turned the girl’s own immune cells into a superior force able to rout the “aggressive” leukemia.

Emily’s treatment was one of the very first of its kind and cannot yet be considered “a magic bullet,” the hospital said. But in her case, it apparently worked completely. Initially, millions of the girl’s natural immune system cells were removed. Then the modified HIV virus was used to carry in a new gene that would boost the immune cells and help them spot, then attack cancer cells that had previously been able to sneak in “under the radar,” the hospital said on its website. Finally the rebooted immune cells were sent back in to do their work.

According to the hospital, “The researchers have created a guided missile that locks in on and kills B cells, thereby attacking B-cell leukemia.” Meanwhile, Pediatric oncologist Stephan Grupp, who cared for the girl, explained that there was never any danger of AIDS during the process: “The way we get the new gene into the T cells (immune cells) is by using a virus. This virus was developed from the HIV virus, however all of the parts of the HIV virus that can cause disease are removed… It is impossible to catch HIV or any other infection. What’s left is the property of the HIV virus that allows it to put new genes into cells,” he had said in an email.

I am not allowed to post links yet because of being new to this board, my apologies.:cool:

Pretty amazing, treating a fatal disease with the hiv virus. What are your thoughts?

I cannot post links but there was also a report on youtube video from diane sawyer, I would be thankful if you could find it and post it sir. :eusa_angel:

Post the link with a space between the "ht" and "tp"....Those interested can copy-and-paste the link and eliminate the space for themselves.

Interesting.

.informationng.com/2012/12/fire-for-fire-hiv-virus-used-to-cure-cancer.html

tp://youtu.be/Iw-12Qf3bM4

The HIV virus is so dangerous that it caused the entire medical community to revise some procedures and screen blood. God help us if an altered form of HIV ever gets loose.

The article said it was not dangerous and put the 7 yr old girls leukemia into remission.

If you had a child that could be cured would you use the hiv virus?

I had also wondered if that means she would need medication for the hiv virus but it appears not, that would be for people who have aids not hiv.

The article said it was not dangerous and put the 7 yr old girls leukemia into remission.

I had also wondered if that means she would need medication for the hiv virus but it appears not, that would be for people who have aids not hiv.

I would use any treatment I could find. What do you expect me to say? My point is that I don't trust the scientific community to tell the truth nor do I trust a bunch of federal employees and college kids employed to do the dirty work to handle genetically altered viruses safely.

I would use any treatment I could find. What do you expect me to say? My point is that I don't trust the scientific community to tell the truth nor do I trust a bunch of federal employees and college kids employed to do the dirty work to handle genetically altered viruses safely.

Sure, I would feel apprehensive to.

Forum List

Back