Hitler's last gasp...

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
The battle of the Bulge opened this day in 1944, in the early morning hours of a cold and misty day. It would be Hitler's final attempt to change the fortunes of war in the west, and it would end in failure at the hands of American arms and american resolve to stand and fight.

The opening of the attack

The Ardennes offensive of December 1944 was the last occasion in which Hitler proved that he was right and his generals wrong. His Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhine) plan for splitting the Allied armies before they could reach and cross the Rhine was an audacious gamble fit to rank with Montgomery's 'Market Garden'. Like 'Market Garden', the Ardennes offensive came close to success but was defeated by natural obstacles and a frantically-improvised defence.

The massing of three armies - 6th SS Panzer, 5th Panzer and 7th Panzer, a total of 20 divisions of which seven were armoured - was a masterpiece made possible, only by the belated placing of the Reich on a full war footing. After all the disasters of 1944, 18 new divisions had been sent to the West by 16th December 1944. The idea was to strike through the Ardennes (held only by six resting American divisions) and cross the Meuse. The generals, under Rundstedt, the supreme commander, would have been content to destroy the 25 Allied divisions east of the Meuse. Hitler, however, insisted on a grandiose drive north-west to Antwerp, with the idea of sweeping through the whole of Montgomery's 21st Army Group with the possibility, even, of forcing an evacuation from the coast, as at Dunkirk in 1940. He ignored the fact that every road in the Ardennes was clogged with snow and mud, as they had not been in summer 1940.

The surprise assault over a 40 mile sector on 16th December cracked open but did not annihilate the American front. The full implications of the German attack were not fully realized at first. The bad weather, including fog, in the period before the attack, and the wooded terrain, between them prevented satisfactory air reconnaissance. As the armour rolled heavily but sluggishly through the breaches, two bastions of resistance - at St Vith and Bastogne - stood firm and cut down the How of the advance. North of the breach the Americans unexpectedly held out, blocking 6th SS Panzer Army and trapping its spearhead in the Ambleve valley. But the deep penetration in the centre by 5th Panzer Army between St Vith and Bastogne threatened disaster for the Allies if the latter should fall.

The Allied recovery

The German success in the first three days of the 'Battle of the Bulge' forced a major decision on the Allied High Command. The German penetration threatened to split the 12th Army Group. So Eisenhower agreed to transfer all US forces north of the breakthrough to Montgomery's command while General Omar Bradley co-ordinated US forces to the south. The US 82nd and 101st Airborne Division were brought up to help stem the German momentum, the 101st with units from 10th Armored Division, holding the key centre of Bastogne. Meanwhile Patton promised to attack towards encircled Bastogne on 22nd December - but on the 20th the 2nd Panzer Division, by-passing Bastogne, got across the Ourthe river and was within 23 miles of the Meuse. Foul weather was also preventing the Allied fighters and supply planes from operating.

On the 22nd, crisis day for the Allies, the Americans started to pull out of the St Vith 'horseshoe' and the 2nd Panzer Division began to drive for the Meuse. But on the 23rd the weather cleared. Supplies were dropped into Bastogne and the German columns came under increasing air attack - over 14,000 sorties were flown in three days from 23rd December. Back at the base of the 'Bulge' there was traffic chaos, with the US forces north of the salient holding on to two of the four roads which the Germans had counted on seizing. And the British and Americans were rushing forces into position, first to block and then to counter-attack.

On Christmas Day, 2nd Panzer reached its 'farthest west' only to run out of fuel at Celles, four miles short of the Meuse. Bastogne was relieved the following day and all German attacks were halted, with the generals finally telling Hitler that there was no hope of reaching the Meuse.

The Bastogne fighting reached its peak on 3rd-4th January, 1945 when the last German attacks on town and corridor failed and the US forces took the counter-offensive. On 16th January the forces 'coming from north and south joined up at Houffalize. On 20th January the weather cleared, permitting full-scale Allied air operations:-By 28th January the last vestiges of the 'Bulge' had been eliminated.

German forces had not tried to attack in the west since the Normandy battles in the summer of 1944, now they tried a surprise attack in poor weather.

the-battle-of-the-bulge-timeline-2.jpg

The attack was meant to pierce and destroy US 1st Army, but the Amewricans held on, while Patton's third army rushed to Bastone to stem the attacks.

indexb_10a.jpg

The difficult terrain and weather conditions can seen in this photo of US infantry on defense.

This region, the Ardenne was mostly wooded and could only be traversed quickly by roads.

300px-Battle_of_the_Bulge.jpg

Hitler was confident his SS troops could break through the American lines, but the Yanks held attacks by the 'Leibstandarte' (1st SS Panzer Division 'Adolph Hitler') up cuasing massive traffic jams and delays.

6018660.jpg

The only SS formation to break through in the intial attack was lead by Joachim pieper, who's 'Kampfgroup' (battle force, roughly brigade strength) made the deepest thrust on the northern shoulder of the bulge, and would become infamous for murdering 80 GI at Malmedy, a crossroads in Peiper's sector.

20090512033217!Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R65485,_Joachim_Peiper.jpg

A friend of mine is involved in WWII reenacting. Not my cuppa tea, but I guess we all have our geek angles. They do a big Battle of the Bulge reenactment in January at Fort Indiantown Gap in PA every year.

Last edited:
Eisenhower, the supreme allied leader had only two reserve divisions on the entire front, the 82nd Airborne and the 101 Airborne.

The 101 was routed to bastonge, a critical crossroads that controlled the entire southern part of the battle, if the Germans took it they would reach the Meurse river and maybe suceed in their attack, but the 'Screaming Eagles' held, even though surrounded and ruined the german offense.

This was depicted in the mini series 'Band of Brothers.'

Hang-Tough-Bastogne-1944.jpg

Totally surrounded, the Germans demanded the 101 surrender the town.

The highest ranking American, Brigidier General (one star) Tony Mcauliffe replied 'Nuts' to the surrender message (He actually said something less printable, but this was changed for the allied news services).

72431016.jpg

The 82nd was ordered to halt 2nd Panzer which had broken through the allied center and was about to cross the last major river before the allied supply port (and german objective) of antwerpt was reached. The Brits had been holding the area but Montgomery ordered them back to 'regroup', the Brits told the 82 to clear out before the Germans arrived.

The All Americans replied 'Retreat hell, we just got here.'

They held the germans.

82pix20.jpg

Last edited:
There are two things I don't understand about BotB:

1. Why couldn't the Germans take Bastonge? It seems to me they had the armour, but they never synchronized their attack from different directions, so American artillary was always able to concentrate on one point or another?

2. Attacking through the Ardenne wasn't so original that it should've surprised anyone, was it? I thought the Germans had used this invasion route before?

There are two things I don't understand about BotB:

1. Why couldn't the Germans take Bastonge? It seems to me they had the armour, but they never synchronized their attack from different directions, so American artillary was always able to concentrate on one point or another?
The town was the hub of six roads that all intersected in the town center, the germans had to attack along the narrow roads as thick forrest seperated each seperate road, if they tried it along one road it meant only a fraction of their power could be applied. They could not attack all of them because they didn't have teh fuel and ammo for such an all out try, so they kept probing for weakness.

2. Attacking through the Ardenne wasn't so original that it should've surprised anyone, was it? I thought the Germans had used this invasion route before?
They used it in the spring of 1940 as the opening of the war in the west.

In december of 1944 it was the lightest held sector on the allied line, the US used it as a rest area for worn out forces and green units to get some combat experince, as such it was held by only 4 US divisions.

If teh Germans had fuel and ammo they would have broken through here most likely, but they didn't, they were gambling on taking US fuel depots, and it was a failed gamble.

The german battle plan included a strange unit, Panzer Brigade 150. This was supposed to be Germans in captured US uniforms and tanks and trucks, who spoke English and were supposed to fool the US and take key points.

As it turns out they could only gather a few jeeps, so they tried to disguise panther tanks to look like US tank destroyers, and the English speakers ended up being used in a seperate unit to infiltrate behind US lines. These units were later caught and the members of them shot as spies.

wss-pzbrig-150-m10.jpg

How would you rate the 1965 movie Battle of the Bulge?

It seems to me that its very well made in that it hits accurately explains many of the details of a relatively complicated and large battle.
Laughably inaccurate.

The movie was so screwed up that the last half was actually filmed in the summer time, and features a rediculous tank battle in the open between M 24 Chaffee tanks (not in widespread service yet) and Spanish M 47s painted to look 'German.'

It seems to me that its very well made in that it hits accurately explains many of the details of a relatively complicated and large battle.
Laughably inaccurate.

The movie was so screwed up that the last half was actually filmed in the summer time, and features a rediculous tank battle in the open between M 24 Chaffee tanks (not in widespread service yet) and Spanish M 47s painted to look 'German.'

Jimmy Stewart didn't save America ? I find that hard to believe !

Laughably inaccurate.

Jimmy Stewart didn't save America ? I find that hard to believe !

everyone knows henry fonda saved america.

Laughably inaccurate.

Ok Ok I get it.

But my 13 year old won't know the difference between M-24 Chaffee tanks and Spanish M-47's.

All I'm interested in is getting him to understand that:

1. WW II was fought in Western Europe between Germans and Americans

2. The Battle of the Bulge was a battle during WW II

To think that the world's first assault rifle failed to play a significant role also can be blamed on Hitler. Without question the MP-43/44 was a revolutionary invention by the Germans and had Hitler embraced it earlier the war may have ended differently.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_XIN7VMUzc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_XIN7VMUzc&feature=related[/ame]

Germans lost on strategy, not tactics.

Better squad level assualt weapons would not have made Hitler see the value of strategic withdrawls and the foolishness of last man holding orders.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back