History

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
I was watching one of those reality shows awhile back. Stuck in the 70s, or something like that. It was a group of younger people, aged anywhere from 18 to about 25, living in a house where everything was set up like it was in the 70s, including the way they dressed.

Anyway, one of their challenges was a 70s history quiz. Some of the questions were pretty easy, I thought, like "What year did the U.S. celebrate it's bicentennial?" and "What war ended for the U.S. in 1973?" I was shocked at how bad some of them did on the quiz.

I decided to put a quiz on a site I go to from time to time and see how people did. All the questions were simple American history questions, the kind I knew the answers to by the time I was 8 years old. Here's how people are doing so far. The question, with the percentage of people that got it right. Some are not that surprising, while some are a little disturbing.

95% - What year did the United States celebrate its bicentennial?

95% - What is Francis Scott Key's role in American history?

93% - Who has traditionally been given credit for sewing the first American flag?

91% - Where is the Bay of Pigs?

88% - "The Battle of Normandy" took place during what war?

86% - During the Vietnam War, was the United States allied with North Vietnam or South Vietnam?

79% - When the eagle was chosen as the national symbol, Benjamin Franklin suggested another animal would be more appropriate. What animal was it?

77% - What U.S. president said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"?

30% - Where would you find the phrase, "of the people, by the people, and for the people"?

26% - Who is traditionally known as "The Father of the United States Constitution"?

Out of these, I would guess the last one would be the toughest. Some of the others, I just don't get how that many people could get it wrong, especially considering there was a 50/50 chance on the Vietnam question.

Actually those are better percentages than I would have guessed.

Originally posted by Kathianne:

I saw a show on television once, in which Dutch people on a holiday were asked if they could point out their holiday's destination on a world map - to see how they were faring with basic geography.
Honestly, there were people on the beach in Spain, pointing on the map to places ranging from Norway, to Israel. I mean, WTF?

I didn't think it was possible, but sadly, it is.
So from me, I'd say the above is not too bad at all.

Kathianne said:

Well, you do have to take some things into consideration. The site has the quiz in the history catagory, obviously, so you would think people interested in history make up the bulk of people taking it. There are also rankings at the site, and history buffs probably look at it as an easy way to build up their points. Everything but the Vietnam question is multiple choice, so there is a 1 in 4 chance someone will get it right without knowing tha answer.

I don't know. I just find it odd that 7% of the people taking it didn't know who is credited with sewing the first American flag, when I can vividly remember talking about it in grammer school. Seventy percent not knowing where "of the people, by the people, and for the people" comes from just blows my mind.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Well, you do have to take some things into consideration. The site has the quiz in the history catagory, obviously, so you would think people interested in history make up the bulk of people taking it. There are also rankings at the site, and history buffs probably look at it as an easy way to build up their points. Everything but the Vietnam question is multiple choice, so there is a 1 in 4 chance someone will get it right without knowing tha answer.

I don't know. I just find it odd that 7% of the people taking it didn't know who is credited with sewing the first American flag, when I can vividly remember talking about it in grammer school. Seventy percent not knowing where "of the people, by the people, and for the people" comes from just blows my mind.
Isn't that a Bob Dylan song?

i promise i didn't search for these answers prior to posting...i am answering honestly...

Jimmyeatworld said:
Jimmyeatworld said:
name sounds familiar, but i am not sure where i remember it from...didn't he write the national anthem? i know i remember him being mentioned in class, but that was so many years ago...

Jimmyeatworld said:
93% - Who has traditionally been given credit for sewing the first American flag?
Betsy Ross

Jimmyeatworld said:
San Francisco? :D i don't really know...just being a prat

Jimmyeatworld said:
WWII

Jimmyeatworld said:
86% - During the Vietnam War, was the United States allied with North Vietnam or South Vietnam?
South

Jimmyeatworld said:
79% - When the eagle was chosen as the national symbol, Benjamin Franklin suggested another animal would be more appropriate. What animal was it?
the turkey...just imagine what thanksgiving would be like if those birds were federally protected...

Jimmyeatworld said:
77% - What U.S. president said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"?
i have to guess this one, because i know i have heard it before, and i believe it was either the 60s or 70s that it was said...um, Kennedy?

Jimmyeatworld said:
30% - Where would you find the phrase, "of the people, by the people, and for the people"?
a Lincoln speech? or was it the Bill of Rights? The Preamble? can't remember this one

Jimmyeatworld said:
26% - Who is traditionally known as "The Father of the United States Constitution"?
either James Madison or Thomas Jefferson...i can't remember this one either.

Give it a shot...hoping for at least a 'B'

(1) 1976
(2) Star Spangel Banner song
(3)Betsy Ross
(4)Cuba
(5)WWII
(6)South VN(At least the troops did..not so sure about the politicians)
(7)Turkey (kinda like the song bt 'Little Eva' "The Turkey Trot"lol)
(8)Roosevelt(I think) Then again maybe that was Churchill!
(9) Constitution(US)
(10) I'll go with "Old" Ben Franklin..could be a toss up Madison or Jefferson though!

Wrote the Star Spangled Banner while he watched to see if the British would be held, they were. The 'banner' is still at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore. Very cool site.

Betsy Ross

Cuba

WWII

South Vietnam

The turkey

FDR

Emancipation Proclamation

James Madison

C'mon Jimmy, post the answers! I keep thinking the last should be Adams, but Madison strikes me.

Kathianne said:
Thanks. How'd I do with the rest, other than my stupid Lincoln guess?

They all look good to me.

Wrote the Star Spangled Banner while he watched to see if the British would be held, they were. The 'banner' is still at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore. Very cool site.
During which war?

Forum List

Back