History repeats itself

Reuben

Lost Soul
Dec 23, 2012
DC
In the dark ages, the Christian west was stagnant, while Islam dominated every meaningful field of science and learning. However, religious fundamentalists were offended that science and philosophy tended to disagree with theology and dogma. What ensued was an anti intellectual purge, from which the muslim world nver recovered.

Here we are, centuries later, living in the most advanced country on earth, and religious fundamentalist (Christians this time) are trying to hamstring science because it disagrees with their beliefs.

It seems that the religious right, given sufficient power, would send us down the path to scientific and economic futility. Is this not history repeating itself? They say those who don't read history are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps government should require these homeschoolers to cover history lessons not found in the bible.

Atheists aren't afraid to ask questions, and aren't afraid of the answers. That is the key to science, and to business creation. So, I would say "yes" they would put us on a better path. After all, if you read the personal correspondence of most of the founders you see they were agnostic at best. They created a pretty good system.

I would probably consider myself agnostic just btw. The religious right believes some crazy shit, but there are many far worse people to worry about than them. There is plenty of good to be found in religion, and I think atheists dismiss that good far too easily.

In the dark ages, the Christian west was stagnant, while Islam dominated every meaningful field of science and learning. However, religious fundamentalists were offended that science and philosophy tended to disagree with theology and dogma. What ensued was an anti intellectual purge, from which the muslim world nver recovered.

Here we are, centuries later, living in the most advanced country on earth, and religious fundamentalist (Christians this time) are trying to hamstring science because it disagrees with their beliefs.

It seems that the religious right, given sufficient power, would send us down the path to scientific and economic futility. Is this not history repeating itself? They say those who don't read history are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps government should require these homeschoolers to cover history lessons not found in the bible.

Hmmmm, seems to me the Vatican employs a whole pisspot full of scientists.....doesn't seem like they are anti science at all.

Hyperbole anyone?

"The Academicians are independent from the papacy and comprise some of the world's leading lay scientists - many are Nobel Prize Winners. They act as papal advisers and influence church thinking on scientific topics. They have pronounced on issues such as the implications of genetics and environmental concerns. In 1996 they advised the Pope when he tried to reconcile the theory of evolution with the biblical story of Creation."

BBC - Radio 4 - The Vatican Scientists

When one speaks of the radical religious right, Catholics rarely if ever come to the front of the mind. The born again evangelicals that are so active in this country are the problem. Evangelicals are the ones orchestrating the full court press for politics controlled by religion.

IMO, Catholics are pretty moderate as religions go. Of course, they have a checkered past on scientific matters.

When one speaks of the radical religious right, Catholics rarely if ever come to the front of the mind. The born again evangelicals that are so active in this country are the problem. Evangelicals are the ones orchestrating the full court press for politics controlled by religion.

IMO, Catholics are pretty moderate as religions go. Of course, they have a checkered past on scientific matters.

The nutjobs you speak of are so much the fringe, and a vanishingly small minority, their goals could never be accomplished. You might just as well be concerning yourself with the recently passed Mayan appocalypse.

The two are related.

Sure they do. ANY group, if you go back far enough, has a checkered past on something. Modern libs are following their own brand of evangelical bullshit with the global warming horse manure.

That movement bears all the hallmarks of an evangelical religion...every single one. Why don't you use some of your logic on those twits. They have government on their side and might actually get some of their terrible goals accomplished. They're the real threat now,
not some fringe loonies.

Atheists aren't afraid to ask questions, and aren't afraid of the answers. That is the key to science, and to business creation. So, I would say "yes" they would put us on a better path. After all, if you read the personal correspondence of most of the founders you see they were agnostic at best. They created a pretty good system.

Going to disagree here. The founding fathers did have Christian values but were considered by many to be Theists, in that they believed that a God did in fact exist. Hence why Jefferson had both a Bible and a Koran.

I would probably consider myself agnostic just btw. The religious right believes some crazy shit, but there are many far worse people to worry about than them. There is plenty of good to be found in religion, and I think atheists dismiss that good far too easily.

I agree, and I think that's what a lot of atheists forget. Sure, Christianity has a bad history, but if you look at the core of it, the Bible, and read what Jesus said, he was a very nice person, and had a lot of good values. Loving your neighbor, helping the poor, etc etc

Forum List

Back