History repeats itself

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Reuben, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Reuben

Reuben Lost Soul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In the dark ages, the Christian west was stagnant, while Islam dominated every meaningful field of science and learning. However, religious fundamentalists were offended that science and philosophy tended to disagree with theology and dogma. What ensued was an anti intellectual purge, from which the muslim world nver recovered.

Here we are, centuries later, living in the most advanced country on earth, and religious fundamentalist (Christians this time) are trying to hamstring science because it disagrees with their beliefs.

It seems that the religious right, given sufficient power, would send us down the path to scientific and economic futility. Is this not history repeating itself? They say those who don't read history are doomed to repeat it. Perhaps government should require these homeschoolers to cover history lessons not found in the bible.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool BANNED

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +28,045
    Would atheists send us down a magical enlightened road if they were in power?

3. Reuben

Reuben Lost Soul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Atheists aren't afraid to ask questions, and aren't afraid of the answers. That is the key to science, and to business creation. So, I would say "yes" they would put us on a better path. After all, if you read the personal correspondence of most of the founders you see they were agnostic at best. They created a pretty good system.

4. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool BANNED

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +28,045
    I would probably consider myself agnostic just btw. The religious right believes some crazy shit, but there are many far worse people to worry about than them. There is plenty of good to be found in religion, and I think atheists dismiss that good far too easily.

5. S.J.

S.J. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,816
    No, it's not history repeating itself. Ridiculous.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    Make me a sammich, Reuben.

7. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,786

Hmmmm, seems to me the Vatican employs a whole pisspot full of scientists.....doesn't seem like they are anti science at all.

Hyperbole anyone?

"The Academicians are independent from the papacy and comprise some of the world's leading lay scientists - many are Nobel Prize Winners. They act as papal advisers and influence church thinking on scientific topics. They have pronounced on issues such as the implications of genetics and environmental concerns. In 1996 they advised the Pope when he tried to reconcile the theory of evolution with the biblical story of Creation."

BBC - Radio 4 - The Vatican Scientists

8. Reuben

Reuben Lost Soul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When one speaks of the radical religious right, Catholics rarely if ever come to the front of the mind. The born again evangelicals that are so active in this country are the problem. Evangelicals are the ones orchestrating the full court press for politics controlled by religion.

IMO, Catholics are pretty moderate as religions go. Of course, they have a checkered past on scientific matters.

9. Reuben

Reuben Lost Soul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ha. So, Reuben does not refer to the sandwich. It is actually a reference to something in Mormonism (the religion of my parents)

10. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,786

The nutjobs you speak of are so much the fringe, and a vanishingly small minority, their goals could never be accomplished. You might just as well be concerning yourself with the recently passed Mayan appocalypse.

The two are related.