History passing Israel...

U.N. set to implicitly recognize Palestinian state, despite U.S., Israel threats - Yahoo! News

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. General Assembly is set to implicitly recognize a sovereign state of Palestine on Thursday despite threats by the United States and Israel to punish the Palestinian Authority by withholding much-needed funds for the West Bank government.

A Palestinian resolution that would change the Palestinian Authority's U.N. observer status from "entity" to "non-member state," like the Vatican, is expected to pass easily in the 193-nation U.N. General Assembly.
Meaningless. A toilet is a non member state.

in case this is your next trivia question:

Who are the non-member states of the UN?
Kosovo
Kosovo declared independence from Serbia on on February 17, 2008 but has not gained complete international recognition to allow it to become a member of the United Nations.
Taiwan
In 1971 the People's Republic of China (mainland China) replaced Taiwan (also known as the Republic of China) in the United Nations.
Vatican City / The Holy See
The independent papal state of 771 people (including the Pope) was created in 1929. They have not chosen to become part of the international organization.

U.N. set to implicitly recognize Palestinian state, despite U.S., Israel threats - Yahoo! News

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. General Assembly is set to implicitly recognize a sovereign state of Palestine on Thursday despite threats by the United States and Israel to punish the Palestinian Authority by withholding much-needed funds for the West Bank government.

A Palestinian resolution that would change the Palestinian Authority's U.N. observer status from "entity" to "non-member state," like the Vatican, is expected to pass easily in the 193-nation U.N. General Assembly.

I think it’s a realistic expression by the World to recognize the two state solution model…everyone on earth including Islamic countries are tired of wars and the 65 year conflict in the ME…

If the Palestinians get this new recognition they will be empowered to put their cause on the UN agenda and go to the World Court for Adjudication….Since its inception after WWll, I don’t believe the UN has ever recognized any borders as a result of war and occupation….Israel would be smart to stop Settlement Building and work out a deal acceptable to both parties and bless a realistic peace, even if it means sharing Jerusalem…

Last edited:

I think it’s a realistic expression by the World to recognize the two state solution model…everyone on earth including Islamic countries are tired of wars and the 65 year conflict in the ME…

If the Palestinians get this new recognition they will be empowered to put their cause on the UN agenda and go to the World Court for Adjudication….Since its inception after WWll, I don’t believe the UN has ever recognized any borders as a result of war and occupation….Israel would be smart to stop Settlement Building and work out a deal acceptable to both parties and bless a realistic peace, even if it means sharing Jerusalem…
Can Kurdistan declare a state in four countries? Defective logic.

This is just going to make things worse for the Palestinians. They have just wasted their chance to create a state with real components of a state.

This is the equivalent of premature ejaculation, and doesn't change anything. Mahmoud Abbas has just put his own interests in front of his people's, facing a rise in Hamas legitimacy and power.

It seems clear to me that no matter what the UN decides today------it is
neither here nor there UNLESS the UN -----TODAY!!!!! on this very day!!!!!
DECLARES BORDERS ----EAST WEST NORTH and SOUTH and UP and DOWN and INSIDE OUT.

It seems clear to me that no matter what the UN decides today------it is
neither here nor there UNLESS the UN -----TODAY!!!!! on this very day!!!!!
DECLARES BORDERS ----EAST WEST NORTH and SOUTH and UP and DOWN and INSIDE OUT.

The resolution asks the UNGA to implicitly do that and more.

Reaffirming its resolution 43/176 of 15 December 1988, resolution 66/17 of 30 November 2011, and all relevant resolutions regarding the “Peaceful Settlement of the Question of Palestine”, which, inter alia, stress the need for (a) the withdrawal of Israel from the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem; (b) the realization of the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, primarily the right to self-determination and the right to their independent State; (c) a just resolution of the problem of the Palestine refugees in conformity with resolution 194 (III) of 11 December 1948; and (d) the complete cessation of all Israeli settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem;

To recognize a Palestinian state on all of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, as well as Gaza, to recognize a right of return for the so called refugees and

Reaffirming its commitment, in accordance with international law, to the two-State solution of an independent, sovereign, democratic, viable and contiguous State of Palestine living side by side with Israel in peace and security on the basis of the pre-1967 borders;

to cut Israel in half in order to make the West Bank contiguous with Gaza, a demand Abbas has been making all along but which has gotten little attention.

Draft of the Palestinian UN application for nonmember status (full text) | The Times of Israel

These points will be the new pre conditions Abbas will set for restarting negotiations with Israel and they are conditions no Israeli government will be able to agree to and survive.

Forum List

Back