History of debt ceiling tells us where debt came from.

Rdean - You Lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debt to the Penny

Bush took office --- 01/20/2001 -- $5,728,195,796,181.57
Obama took office - 01/20/2009 - $10,625,053,544,309.79
Total G.W. Bush Debt ---------- $4,896,857,748,128.22 took 8 years.

Current Debt ------ 07/14/2011 - $14,342,954,633,916.41
Current Obama Debt ---------- $3,717,901,089,606.62 took 2.5 years.

I guess he thinks none of us are going to call him on any of his disingenuous misrepresented posts.

Didn't booosh pass and support the 800 billion TARP?
Seems like McConnel and most of the republicans stillin the congress supported it too?

It was 74-25. O voted for it. From Senate.gov:

Grouped By Vote Position

YEAs ---74

Akaka (D-HI)
Alexander (R-TN)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Coburn (R-OK)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Craig (R-ID)
Dodd (D-CT)

Domenici (R-NM)
Durbin (D-IL)
Ensign (R-NV)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inouye (D-HI)
Isakson (R-GA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)

McCaskill (D-MO)
McConnell (R-KY)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-NE)
Obama (D-IL)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Schumer (D-NY)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Thune (R-SD)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)
Webb (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

NAYs ---25

Allard (R-CO)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cochran (R-MS)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Dole (R-NC)

Dorgan (D-ND)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feingold (D-WI)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (D-SD)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sanders (I-VT)

Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)
Wyden (D-OR)

If Obama didn't like what he was walking into he should've stayed home. Instead he campaigned on false hope and lies.

Most of his campaign happend BEFORE the meltdown.

Nobody's campiagn was based on what to do about the meltdown because it hadn't yet manifested.

History, its a real bitch for you partisans, isn't it?

If Obama didn't like what he was walking into he should've stayed home. Instead he campaigned on false hope and lies.

Most of his campaign happend BEFORE the meltdown.

Nobody's campiagn was based on what to do about the meltdown because it hadn't yet manifested.

History, its a real bitch for you partisans, isn't it?

Obama was declared (D) nominee for POTUS Aug 2008. Not before the 2007 financial crisis. I don't care what he fed the Dems in and leading up to the primaries. When he was campaigning for POTUS vs McCain, the meltdown was indeed manifested. That's just factual history. I can't post links but these quotes are directly from the Barack Obama presidential campaign, 2008 wiki article:

Obama strategically had pictures made with financial experts Warren Buffett and Paul Volcker so the public would portray him having inside knowledge of Wall Street.
That worked out well.

Henry 'Hank' Paulson, President Bush's Treasury Secretary, said Obama's comprehension of the financial crisis compared to McCain’s was as broad as “night and day”. McCain’s confidence vastly lowered when Obama questioned his ideas on the financial crisis in a meeting on September 25 at the White House with Bush and other congressmen. McCain did not have suggestions regarding what he would do to fix the economy, particularly Henry Paulson’s $700 billion three page bank recovery plan (TARP). Neither McCain nor Bush had read it. Obama’s confidence escalated from that point. This was the turning point of the campaign.
So the tide turned on Obama claiming to know how to fix the economy while McCain was honest about being unsure. Obama's understanding was poor or there was no understanding and he lied about having one. Either way, flawed or fictitious, it was this supposed understanding of the financial crisis/economy that got him elected and so it's reasonable to hold him accountable to it.

Who do Republicans want to pay for this disastrous debt?

The party of personal responsibility doesn't want to take responsibility.

If you notice, this same party only becomes fiscal hawks when they are out of power, but do the exact opposite when they are in power.

Rdean - You Lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debt to the Penny

Bush took office --- 01/20/2001 -- $5,728,195,796,181.57
Obama took office - 01/20/2009 - $10,625,053,544,309.79
Total G.W. Bush Debt ---------- $4,896,857,748,128.22 took 8 years.

Current Debt ------ 07/14/2011 - $14,342,954,633,916.41
Current Obama Debt ---------- $3,717,901,089,606.62 took 2.5 years.
fredgraph.png

Bush gained jobs!!! Obama lost jobs!!!
fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

That's hilarious. Look at your own charts. The recession started before Obama even took office. Bush was given no wars, managable debt, a surplus, a good economy.

At the end of Bush's last budget, unemployment was 10.1%. What was it at the end of Clinton's last budget? Hmmm?

What did Republicans give Obama? What was it Republicans gave Obama? Come on now. Say it loud and clear. What did Republicans pass on to Obama?

Oops.

I'm still waiting for that honest Republican to say what Republicans passed on to Obama.

Father-Time2.jpg

Last edited:
When George Bush took office, the debt ceiling was 5 trillion. When he left office, after raising it seven times, the debt ceiling was well over 11 trillion.

When Bush left office, he handed Obama an economy losing 800,000 jobs a month, TARP, two wars, a Bin Laden free to plan and on the last day of Bush's last budget, unemployment was 10.1%. But it's Obama who created the debt? Obama who's spending like crazy?

And I'm not blaming this just on Bush. Remember, Republicans held both houses for 6 straight years and a conservative Supreme Court.

But the truth is right there in the debt ceiling. It's there for everyone to look at. A big boulder in the middle of the road. It can't be "rewritten".

Wow.

Tell me something, if you can.

Why is that, when the debt ceiling went up with Bush as president it was his fault even though the Democrats in both the House and Senate went along with it. Now, Obama is president, and wants to raise the debt ceiling, and it is the Republicans fault, even though they are doing their best to actually cut the deficit. Is Obama so incompetent that, even though he is president, and already signed one of the largest debt increases in US history after lobbying long and hard for it, that it is still the Republicans who are in control? Do you have any idea how stupid that makes you look?

When George Bush took office, the debt ceiling was 5 trillion. When he left office, after raising it seven times, the debt ceiling was well over 11 trillion.

When Bush left office, he handed Obama an economy losing 800,000 jobs a month, TARP, two wars, a Bin Laden free to plan and on the last day of Bush's last budget, unemployment was 10.1%. But it's Obama who created the debt? Obama who's spending like crazy?

And I'm not blaming this just on Bush. Remember, Republicans held both houses for 6 straight years and a conservative Supreme Court.

But the truth is right there in the debt ceiling. It's there for everyone to look at. A big boulder in the middle of the road. It can't be "rewritten".

Wow.

Why is that, when the debt ceiling went up with Bush as president it was his fault even though the Democrats in both the House and Senate went along with it. Now, Obama is president, and wants to raise the debt ceiling, and it is the Republicans fault, even though they are doing their best to actually cut the deficit. Is Obama so incompetent that, even though he is president, and already signed one of the largest debt increases in US history after lobbying long and hard for it, that it is still the Republicans who are in control? Do you have any idea how stupid that makes you look?

Name another president who waged two wars and cut taxes.

You lie. But you're a Liberal and that's expected.

Unemployment rate when Obama took office in Jan 2009 was 7.7%.
United States Unemployment Rate
Bush only used part of the TARP money. Obama used the rest so his hands are dirty as well.
Obama Seeks Bush Help On TARP : NPR
President-elect Barack Obama asked President Bush to formally request the rest of the money allocated by Congress in October as part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program. Congress has the ability to block the money.
Bush fought two wars. Obama, after promising to "Bring the troops home" during his election campaign is now fighting 5 wars.
The debt under Bush was 500 Billion. Now under Obama it's 1.4 Trillion.

You Liberals have to ask yourself this question; Is Obama a puppet being controlled by outside forces or did he just flat out lie to us to get elected?

It has to be one or the other.

Unemployment was 7.7% when Obama took office, but like I said, "On the last day of Bush's budget".

The budget doesn't start on the first day a president takes office. They are saddled with the last president's budget for at least 6 months before they can pass their own. Go ahead, look it up. On the last day of Bush's budget, unemployment was 10.1%.

When Bush took office, the debt ceiling was 5 trillion. When he left office, it was close to 12 trillion. Think about why that is. If you haven't increased the debt, why would you increase the debt ceiling?

Does that really have to be explained. Seems very, very simple to me. Why is it so difficult for right wingers to understand? Do they consider this "rocket science"? If that's the case, they have real, long term issues.

There was no Bush budget for 2009. The Democrats refused to pass one, and did not pass one until Obama was in office. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he signed it when they sent it over to him, and he then asked for, and got, the single largest spending and tax cut package, and the second largest debt ceiling hike, in US history.. That tells me that the last day of the "Bush" budget was actually 31 Dec 2008.

Want to try again?

The Dems knew that we would be in this position when they were in their Lame Duck limbo in November/December.

They didn't raise it then because they wanted to play political games simply to try and split the Rs and create negative feelings about the Rs when they were forced to make the important adult decisions and step in.

Cowards. Evil ones at that.

The truth has always failed the Right Wing. Unfortunately for them, facts have a liberal bias.

If you were on "my side" of a debate - I would pay you to not say a word.
Truth is - you are so drunk on Kool-Aid that I guarantee no matter how many times you read your opening post - you won't realize that your making the opposite point.
Do the Math....how much did Boooosh spend in 8 years...and how much has Obama spent in 30 months?

Oops.

What so many of you miss is the fact that because revenues are so low, it seems like we are spending much more than we should be. The fact is that we are overspending, but the bigger fact is that we are completely underfunded. Today we are spending 5% more of GDP than we did in 2000. However, revenues are also short 5% of GDP compared to 2000. In real dollars, that is a $1 trillion shortage in revenue and it is $700 billion in excess spending. $300 billion of that excess spending is on military which is now 6% of GDP versus 4% in 2000. That means non-discretionary spending is only up $400 billion and that is mostly due to the economy sucking so bad that we are supporting more through the safety net.

I'm curious how many people actually remember the reason behind the Bush tax cuts. They weren't put in place to jump start the economy. The economy was fine when Bush took office. The reason for the tax cuts was that we were projecting large surpluses down the road, and it was felt that those surpluses should be put back into the hands of those who pay taxes, but it was done with a provision that should revenues fall, the Bush tax cuts would not be extended. Well, somewhere along the way, as revenues fell, some people decided that it was a smart thing to keep the Bush tax cuts in place even though revenues were tanking.

Plain and simple, we have a revenue problem much more than we have a spending problem, and when the majority of voters figure this out, they are going to demand a change on the revenue side.

If only it were that simple.

We spend too much.

We do not have enough revenue.

What makes anyone think that these are the only two factors that go into the deficit? There are multiple factors that contribute, and focusing only on tow of them is not going to solve anything.

The government has tripled its revenue since 1965, and quintupled its spending. We are currently in an economic downturn, which has reduced revenues. That does give us a revenue problem, but the reason we have that problem is we have a recession problem. Regardless, spending is outstripping revenue, and that will not be solved by raising taxes.

Yeah, it was Lincoln or the FDR administration or blame Nixon. Who cares? The blame game doesn't apply here. Obama had his shot with a radical left wing congress and full support of the media and all he did was pay off his fellow community agitators and send the US down the road to ruin. Democrats had their chance when they gained the majority half way into Bush's 2nd term and what did they do? They held hearings on steriod use in Baseball and lied to Americans about the pending Fannie Mae collapse. We wouldn't even be having this debate over spending if republicans hadn't won the majority in the House last Fall. God help us if radical democrats kept total control of government. They would have taxed and spent and created pie in the sky bureaucracies and paid off the extortion racket known as global warming and sold every treasure to foreign oil producing countries while lying about the state of the Union until we woke up one day in a different country. Maybe that's what they planned.

I'm still waiting for that honest Republican to say what Republicans passed on to Obama.

Father-Time2.jpg

I am still waiting for the honest Democrat to admit that Obama went after the problem because he thought it would give him a chance to fundamentally change this country. Fortunately, people are not as stupid as the political elite think.

Wow.

Name another president who waged two wars and cut taxes.

Barrack Obama.

Next question?

Forum List

Back