History 1st Pres and VP no show at convention

Inferno

boatwoman
Aug 15, 2008
the river styx
This is the first time in the history of the conventions that the incumbent President and Vice President did not show up. I understand that they were supposed to be there on the first night. The Gustav Hurricane changed that. They did not show up after. Laura Bush made it there. George gave a speech from the White House. Cheney was not there at all. He did not show up at Gustav either.

Any thoughts on why?

This is the first time in the history of the conventions that the incumbent President and Vice President did not show up. I understand that they were supposed to be there on the first night. The Gustav Hurricane changed that. They did not show up after. Laura Bush made it there. George gave a speech from the White House. Cheney was not there at all. He did not show up at Gustav either.

Any thoughts on why?

nobody with a brain that wants mccain elected wanted bush or cheney to show up. there is your reason.

or we can blame the hurricane.

Any thoughts on why?

Dick Cheney didn't get the VP nomination again. So an angry Dick Cheney armed with a gun wouldn't be good for Sarah Palin or John McCain.

(Though if he did end up shooting one of them in the face, think he'll be able to get them to say sorry too?)

Seriously though, the GOP wants to distance McCain from Bush and Cheney as far as possible. They probably wouldn't of even had Bush give a speech at all if it wasn't for the fact he is the President and has a loyal (though small) base at this point.

The Democrats would of been able to have a field day if we had another one of these.

$john-mccain-george-w-bush-hug-lead.jpg

And I must say, that picture will never get old. :lol:

Any thoughts on why?

My opinion only is that McCain is going to try to distance himself as FAR as he can from Bush, and perhaps Cheney from here out, as he can. :eusa_shhh: It would be the smartest move he could make. :eusa_clap:

Last edited:
No they didn't want him to show up. Especially since McCain has changed his tune to change. In the last few weeks he has retooled all of his ideas.

I do love that picture. I may print out out and hang it with my pride parade photos and see if any of my LGBT friends notice who that is.

Any thoughts on why?

first time in history sitting pres had an approval rating under 30 percent during the convention

and W is not Truman, history will judge him harshly, he ignored the Phoenix memo, he let Osama run free as a bird through Paki, and destroyed the economy

Any thoughts on why?

Nobody wanted hom. They were afraid he would bring his gun. :D

Any thoughts on why?
It would have been a reminder to those people that McCain is trying to win over that voting for McCain is voting to continue Bush's policies of the last eight years. And justifying Bush's policies is not something McCain wants to do, even though he himself supported them almost exclusively.

Any thoughts on why?

The last eight years of this administration might have something to do with it, don't you think?

The last thing the R Party wants is to do is remind people that McCain is going to give them more of same that they got under Bush.

Forum List

Back