Historical Rankings of Presidents

Some Liberal Democrats are characterized as intellectual elitists. That would apply to me right now. It seems I regularly run across right-wingnuts without any explanation for their thoughts. Not only do they not explain themselves, but they then pronounce their opinion as fact. Opinions that are almost always different than popular opinion and often dead wrong.

With regards to the source being Wikipedia, the polls are 16 polls from different sources. One of you assumes my opinion comes from media propaganda, which is false.

I'm not even sourcing a liberal source. A couple of the polls are from the Wall Street Journal. I understand though. If it doesn't go with what you think is true, it must be wrong.

What entitlements do you get Army Vet? If you get any, maybe you should try to add it all up and pay it back since you don't like them.

Anyone that points to Social Security as being a blemish on FDR's record has no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Some Liberal Democrats are characterized as intellectual elitists. That would apply to me right now. It seems I regularly run across right-wingnuts without any explanation for their thoughts. Not only do they not explain themselves, but they then pronounce their opinion as fact. Opinions that are almost always different than popular opinion and often dead wrong.

With regards to the source being Wikipedia, the polls are 16 polls from different sources. One of you assumes my opinion comes from media propaganda, which is false.

I'm not even sourcing a liberal source. A couple of the polls are from the Wall Street Journal. I understand though. If it doesn't go with what you think is true, it must be wrong.

What entitlements do you get Army Vet? If you get any, maybe you should try to add it all up and pay it back.

And there we have it... a self-appointed know-it-all

I did not say you sourced a liberal source.. maybe you and your intellect should read over exactly what was written....

Entitlements?? None... I work for a goddamn living every day of my life... and worked harder during my service than the likes of you probably have worked or will work in the rest of your life

I have fully explained that the precedents of FDR's big government programs have been a huge detriment for this country... and that he is glorified for the time/events during which he was President and on various 'good' decisions... while many sheep ignore the true impact of what he really did.... I do not consider him one of the worst, but vastly overrated due to faulty perception and feeling, much like a JFK

A little research or education beyond typical propaganda might do you some good... Mr. Intellectual Elitist :rolleyes:

FDR sucked LOL

What a fucking joke. 8 years of depression and economic failure that only ended when Hitler invaded Poland and the unemployed joined the Army.

FDR LOL

What a joke

Survey Ranks Obama 15th Best President, Bush Among Worst - US News and World Report

The judgment of academic communities should be questioned and judged; the one linked above provides categories in which each president was judged and ultimately ranked. To dismiss out-of-hand as invalid because your guy ranks low simply makes one a partisan hack.

Sweet!

Lets ask a bunch of liberals to rank the Presidents!!

What a lop sided pile of more leftist eilitism.

shame you couldn't find an unbiased source.

The right winger ranks his Presidents. It's no surprise that based on the values you espouse your thoughts on the Presidents follows. Mind you, your opinion could only be that of a far right wing ideologue.

Most people disagree with you almost entirely. Your take on FDR is close to absurd. And you might want to add 4 years to your clock on Obama as President.

FDR is only ranked highly by lefties.

No one just right of center, that understands the long shadow he has cast on our society would put him in the top 1/2.

The "War on drugs" was declared in the 70's[?] and has been deemed a failure due to cost.
Well the "War on poverty" was declared in the 30's. And isn't just a failure due to cost, but due to the damage it has done to society. If you had any grasp of the harm it's done...

I'm a Reagan hater, so I can understand going against popular sentiment. I think Reagan could be the catalyst to our downfall if we're not careful. Some of you seem to think, FDR falls into that category.

No specifics mind you. If you want to get specific I'll be happy to address. I assume you're referring to entitlements? What happens at theses tea parties? Does everyone point out policies that FDR, LBJ, Carter, and Obama pushed, espoused, and had passed under their leadership and then declares they're the worst thing to happen to America?

I wonder what specific policies enacted under FDR lead you folks to look down on him as President. Anyone care to get specific?:eusa_whistle:

He ranked ahead of Reagan in 1 out of 12 and behind him in 11 out of 12.

Reagan's average ranking is 16th, Carter's is 27th.

I would personally rank them about even because I think Reagan's legacy is both good and bad, but the bad could prove to be horrible for the country.

Your opinion is one opinion, as is mine. The broad opinion of these 1000s of people, many of whom are experts, over time, says a lot more than your opinion or mine.

Experts have no bias????:eusa_whistle:

What entitlements do you get Army Vet? If you get any, maybe you should try to add it all up and pay it back since you don't like them.

Anyone that points to Social Security as being a blemish on FDR's record has no idea what they're talking about.

you characterize yourself as an intellectual elite?

now that's funny

carry on

The reason Liberal presidents tend to rank higher than Conservatives is that Liberals actually tend to accomplish things while they are president. If you look at the major legislative accomlishments of the last 100 years, most were accomplished by Liberals. Womens vote, civil rights, environmental protection, worker protections....all were pushed by liberals

By definition, Conservatives tend to resist change and have little to show for their terms in office

Last edited:
It's not that they have no bias, but their opinion's averaged together are broad and generally based on knowledge of history and as close to an accurate assessment as I think we can find objectively.

Sure, you'll think your opinion is the best or your expert's opinion is, but the reality is that 100s of opinions of so-called experts from a diverse group of polls has more merit than most individuals opinions do.

I characterize myself as an "intellectual elite" here, in the derogatory sense. ie- I think I'm smarter than the people I'm arguing with because they don't give any facts to why they're right. They just state their opinion as gospel and I'm supposed to just accept their point of view as truth.

Last edited:
It's not that they have no bias, but their opinion's averaged together are broad and generally based on knowledge of history and as close to an accurate assessment as I think we can find objectively.

Sure, you'll think your opinion is the best or your expert's opinion is, but the reality is that 100s of opinions of so-called experts from a diverse group of polls has more merit than most individuals opinions do.

Not until a link to the "diverse" group of polls, it doesn't. It would probably just flip-flop from poll to poll depending on the diversity. My opinion is just as good as any of theirs.

I'm a Reagan hater, so I can understand going against popular sentiment. I think Reagan could be the catalyst to our downfall if we're not careful. Some of you seem to think, FDR falls into that category.

No specifics mind you. If you want to get specific I'll be happy to address. I assume you're referring to entitlements? What happens at theses tea parties? Does everyone point out policies that FDR, LBJ, Carter, and Obama pushed, espoused, and had passed under their leadership and then declares they're the worst thing to happen to America?

I wonder what specific policies enacted under FDR lead you folks to look down on him as President. Anyone care to get specific?:eusa_whistle:

You have excited the echo chamber, ElephantMcDonk, and asked a question. In my experience you've invited highly caustic attacks on your character and the question will go unanswered. The echo chamber understands as much about what they write as the cliff does when a loud whistle bounces off its walls.

You have excited the echo chamber, ElephantMcDonk, and asked a question. In my experience you've invited highly caustic attacks on your character and the question will go unanswered. The echo chamber understands as much about what they write as the cliff does when a loud whistle bounces off its walls.

Coming from the liberal echo chamber. :lol:

So let me see if I follow Wry Catcher, cause I'm a little slow. Are you acknowledging that I keep giving them an opportunity to either attack me or answer my question and they attack me every time because they're uncapable of answering my questions with reasoned explanations?... because they don't know what they're talking about...

If so, thanks

Last edited:

Coming from someone who cannot engage in serious debate.

Anyway, we could go through the domestic programs and detail how each one served to deepen and prolong the Depression but the main change is: FDR was the first president to say it was government's jobs to solve problems that had previously been solved privately, by families, communities and charities.
This resulted in an entitlement mentality that is sadly with us today. We see it everyday, even on these boards.
That is the problem.

Coming from someone who cannot engage in serious debate.

Anyway, we could go through the domestic programs and detail how each one served to deepen and prolong the Depression but the main change is: FDR was the first president to say it was government's jobs to solve problems that had previously been solved privately, by families, communities and charities.
This resulted in an entitlement mentality that is sadly with us today. We see it everyday, even on these boards.
That is the problem.

And we have gone thru everything about those programs... even the way that he manipulated the SC to ensure it held 'constitutional muster' to keep those programs when he knew they would be challenged...

Which specific entitlement programs are you referring?

Social Security has been a fantastic safety net. Medicare as an offshoot, much later, also a fantastic entitlement program that has helped move our society forward.

I, personally am fiscally conservative, but arguing that Social Security passed in the 1930s is somehow a bad thing is a really hard point to argue.

Yes, we need to reform some entitlement programs, and perhaps get rid of some others altogether, but Social Security, specifically, is a good thing and has been for a long time, just needs to be reformed over time.

I believe Food Stamps and Unemployment started under FDR. There's a reasonable argument to be made that those programs cause an "entitlement" issue. They were close to a necessity at the time and can be reformed going forward.

Most of the entitlement programs are paid for by the recipient from working over time. It's protection for our society.

So let me see if I follow Wry Catcher, cause I'm a little slow. Are you acknowledging that I keep giving them an opportunity to either attack me or answer my question and they attack me every time because they're uncapable of answering my questions with reasoned explanations?... because they don't know what they're talking about...

If so, thanks

I do apologize if you felt that I attacked you, McDonk....that wasn't my intention. I felt that the thread was based on bias from both sides, and I also felt that my biased opinion was as good as their biased opinion, and your biased opinion was as good as theirs or mine. As for wry.....that dude has issues with reality.

Forum List

Back