Historical Legends: Sometimes less is more

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
Though I'm impressed with what science and technology has accomplished, I'm also thankful for what they've NOT discovered. Case in point: The Arthur Legend - A recent slab of stone discovered near the old Tintagel castle in England contained the word "Artur" (or something like it) and so rekindled interest in this dusty old story. I hope that's all they find on this subject. Uncovering only tiny bits of evidence allows our imaginations to take over, and I think we need this from time to time. The Arthur legend may be nothing more than a silly bedtime story, but I would be sad to find out exactly what (if anything) really happened all those centuries ago, especially if there were a logical explanation for everything in the story.

Sometimes less is more.

Are Ancient Inscriptions Found at Tintagel Evidence of King Arthur’s Presence?

Ancient doodle discovered on windowsill at Tintagel Castle is evidence of 'King Arthur's court'

I'm still amazed they're still finding new stuff on that island. One would think it would have all been looted long ago. The King Arthur legend is one I'm following as well, waiting to see what some of the new excavations of hilltops in the western counties will come up from the era of Saxon invasions days and before.

Cool beans! I just love this stuff!

Have you read Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy?
The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment.

They're novels, of course, but they make the legends sensible and wholly believable. I liked them a lot.

Most of the time less is less. Aren't there enough legitimate prehistoric sites in England to entertain archaeologists for the next hundred years without trying to enhance legends?

Forum List

Back