"Historian's" Roosevelt Hagiography

President Washington and his Secretary of State, Jefferson, both agreed on our new nation's policy to recognize foreign governments. That policy was based on the question is the government, in fact, in charge. As I remember, it was Wilson that broke that tradition because of debts.
Business was pretty happy with the recognition of the USSR for trading purposes.

Henry Ford and Fred Koch were certainly happy about it, among others. Washington and Jefferson based their policy on their premise of 'neutrality', i.e. non-discrimination in trade. It wasn't always a successful policy, though; see John Jay's and Jefferson's diplomatic missions and the English and French pressures, and the War of !812, for early [problems.

Most history is a revision. Perhaps the thing that keeps professional historians honest is not emperors, but other historians. Might check and see how conservative historians rated FDR.

10. Don't mistake the slanting of history by these 'historians' as insignificant.

The embrace of the Soviet Union by Roosevelt is difficult to explain.

1933 was the onset of both a) Soviet espionage's "golden age," and of b) Roosevelt's conferring of diplomatic recognition on the Soviet Union. 1933.

Well, would you say that Roosevelt was a Sovietophile rather than a communism-sympathizer? Fine. Now explain the difference.

The penetration of our government by Soviet spies was about far more than it is generally understood to be: eavesdropping and stealing scientific data and battle plans.
Rather it is about weakening the nation, diluting its character. And that is why so very much effort is put into controlling journalism, academia, and the dissemination of information.

Liberals stamp out dissent by social and professional ostracism and legal discrimination. This is the modern version of methods used by medieval Christianity: a secular Inquisition.

a. Intelligentsia as grand inquisitors: in the media, universities, the law, political and professional groups. The dominating ideologies include anti-capitalism, feminism, multiculturalism, and environmentalism. They form the unchallengeable orthodoxy in academia.

No challenges or deviations are permitted, and anyone who does not share these values is defined as extreme.
These ideologies have as their common theme the overturning of the established order of the West. How ironic that intellectual liberty is assaulted within the institutions of reason.
Melanie Philips, “The World Turned Upside Down,” ch 6
Might want to read Republican Senator Borah's plea to FDR to recognize the USSR.

Nov 8, 1932
Franklin Roosevelt defeats Herbert Hoover to become the 32nd President of the United States, receiving 57.4% of the popular vote

On November 16, 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt ended almost 16 years of American non-recognition of the Soviet Union

Took a lot of coaxing, huh?

President Washington and his Secretary of State, Jefferson, both agreed on our new nation's policy to recognize foreign governments. That policy was based on the question is the government, in fact, in charge. As I remember, it was Wilson that broke that tradition because of debts.
Business was pretty happy with the recognition of the USSR for trading purposes.

FDR came into office March 4th of 1933.
On November 16, 1933, President Roosevelt rushed to embrace....recognize...the USSR.

If this act, based on FDR's additional pro-Soviet endeavors, was rational....then these folks must have been irrational: "Four Presidents and their six Secretaries of State for over a decade and a half held to this resolve," i.e., refusal to recognize the Soviet government. That was written by Herbert Hoover, one of those four Presidents. He wrote it in his "Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and Its Aftermath"by George H. Nash, published posthumously, obviously, in 2011, pg 24-29.

As you clearly are in dire need of education....if I have time today, I'll construct an OP about the magnitude of ignorance Roosevelt must have needed to recognize the homicidal, duplicitous Soviet Bolshevik regime.
So what presidents after FDR dropped America's recognition of the USSR?

10. Don't mistake the slanting of history by these 'historians' as insignificant.

1933 was the onset of both a) Soviet espionage's "golden age," and of b) Roosevelt's conferring of diplomatic recognition on the Soviet Union. 1933.

Well, would you say that Roosevelt was a Sovietophile rather than a communism-sympathizer? Fine. Now explain the difference.

The penetration of our government by Soviet spies was about far more than it is generally understood to be: eavesdropping and stealing scientific data and battle plans.
Rather it is about weakening the nation, diluting its character. And that is why so very much effort is put into controlling journalism, academia, and the dissemination of information.

Liberals stamp out dissent by social and professional ostracism and legal discrimination. This is the modern version of methods used by medieval Christianity: a secular Inquisition.

a. Intelligentsia as grand inquisitors: in the media, universities, the law, political and professional groups. The dominating ideologies include anti-capitalism, feminism, multiculturalism, and environmentalism. They form the unchallengeable orthodoxy in academia.

No challenges or deviations are permitted, and anyone who does not share these values is defined as extreme.
These ideologies have as their common theme the overturning of the established order of the West. How ironic that intellectual liberty is assaulted within the institutions of reason.
Might want to read Republican Senator Borah's plea to FDR to recognize the USSR.

Nov 8, 1932
Franklin Roosevelt defeats Herbert Hoover to become the 32nd President of the United States, receiving 57.4% of the popular vote

On November 16, 1933
President Franklin Roosevelt ended almost 16 years of American non-recognition of the Soviet Union

On November 16, 1933, President Roosevelt rushed to embrace....recognize...the USSR.

If this act, based on FDR's additional pro-Soviet endeavors, was rational....then these folks must have been irrational: "Four Presidents and their six Secretaries of State for over a decade and a half held to this resolve," i.e., refusal to recognize the Soviet government. That was written by Herbert Hoover, one of those four Presidents. He wrote it in his "Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and Its Aftermath"by George H. Nash, published posthumously, obviously, in 2011, pg 24-29.

As you clearly are in dire need of education....if I have time today, I'll construct an OP about the magnitude of ignorance Roosevelt must have needed to recognize the homicidal, duplicitous Soviet Bolshevik regime.

It was too late.

When Harry Truman became President, a bureaucrat could practically wear a sign saying " I answer to Stalin and nobody else!"

And there were no penalties!

The atmosphere created, or at least sanctioned, by Franklin Roosevelt, made it almost pro forma for regular Americans to spy for Russia and China.

If it were possible, the epiphany that Truman went through would have resulted in same.
Under Roosevelt, Truman was as pro-Stalin as his boss.

It is actually possible to see into Truman's psyche, based on events as President. Having served under the Rooseveltian Stalin appeasement policies, Truman had to learn quickly. Even so, baby steps can be observed.

On May 23, 1945 (he became President on April 12, 1945), Truman sent Harry Hopkins, Averill Harriman, and Charles Bolen to see Stalin to smooth out some problems developing with Stalin...e.g., Army intelligence was finding out the truth about Stalin's massacres in the Katyn Forest.

At the same time, Truman sent the dunce, Joseph Davies, to Churchill to tell him that he, Truman, would continue to appease Stalin. But Truman was beginning to show the good judgment he became known for...and thus, the incipient Cold War was beginning.

a. Education continued for Truman: June 4, 1945, in a 15-minute meeting with General Carter W. Clarke, and Colonel Ernest Gibson, of Army intelligence, Truman was first informed about army codebreakers working on secret cables sent from Moscow to Washington- the Venona decrypts. "Sacred Secrets: How Soviet Intelligence Operations Changed American History," p. 111,Leona Schecter and Jerrold Schecter

Nov 8, 1932

On November 16, 1933

Nov 8, 1932

On November 16, 1933

I love educating you.

This was the path Truman chose:

On March 12, 1947, Truman appeared before Congress and requested $400,000,000 for aid to Greece and Turkey. At the same time he announced a policy of aiding "free peoples every where against aggressive movements that seek to impose upon them totalitarian regimes."

He did not mention the Soviet Union by name but the reference was unmistakable. Although this program was acclaimed as a "doctrine," a new policy to "contain" Soviet communism, what it amounted to was that the United States took over bankrupt Britain's commitments in the Near East.

a. Although the Greek-Turkish aid program was announced as an anti-communist project, the Marshall plan was not, despite efforts of the Truman-Marshall-Acheson apologists to represent the two as parts of the same piece.

In fact, some try to trace the plan to Acheson in Cleveland, Mississippi, on May 8, 1947. Truman had been slated to deliver this speech but was unable to do so. Acheson, speaking for Truman, merely restated the so-called Truman doctrine. (Daniels, in 'The Man of Independence').

b. There was consternation in the State Department about the anticommunist implications of the Truman doctrine. In his book "Truth Is Our Weapon," Edward W. Barrett (Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs from 1950 to 1952,) declares that the Truman doctrine "backfired in many parts of the world," that the Greek government had a reputation for corruption and oppression (this, according to the communists) and that the United States seemed to be embarking on a program of imperialism in which small nations would be used as pawns in a gigantic contest with the Soviet Union.
Manly, "The Twenty Year Revolution," p. 154-155

Now....think carefully:

Is this a continuation of Roosevelt's recognition and pro-Soviet policies....

.....or rebuke?

Nov 8, 1932

On November 16, 1933

I love educating you.

On March 12, 1947, Truman appeared before Congress and requested $400,000,000 for aid to Greece and Turkey. At the same time he announced a policy of aiding "free peoples every where against aggressive movements that seek to impose upon them totalitarian regimes."

He did not mention the Soviet Union by name but the reference was unmistakable. Although this program was acclaimed as a "doctrine," a new policy to "contain" Soviet communism, what it amounted to was that the United States took over bankrupt Britain's commitments in the Near East.

a. Although the Greek-Turkish aid program was announced as an anti-communist project, the Marshall plan was not, despite efforts of the Truman-Marshall-Acheson apologists to represent the two as parts of the same piece.

In fact, some try to trace the plan to Acheson in Cleveland, Mississippi, on May 8, 1947. Truman had been slated to deliver this speech but was unable to do so. Acheson, speaking for Truman, merely restated the so-called Truman doctrine. (Daniels, in 'The Man of Independence').

b. There was consternation in the State Department about the anticommunist implications of the Truman doctrine. In his book "Truth Is Our Weapon," Edward W. Barrett (Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs from 1950 to 1952,) declares that the Truman doctrine "backfired in many parts of the world," that the Greek government had a reputation for corruption and oppression (this, according to the communists) and that the United States seemed to be embarking on a program of imperialism in which small nations would be used as pawns in a gigantic contest with the Soviet Union.

Now....think carefully:

.....or rebuke?
So the question was: what president after FDR dropped America's recognition of the USSR? Are you saying it was Truman?

I love educating you.

Now....think carefully:

.....or rebuke?
So the question was: what president after FDR dropped America's recognition of the USSR? Are you saying it was Truman?

Did you mention which countries have had their recognition withdrawn by the United States?

I'll wait....

I love educating you.

Now....think carefully:

.....or rebuke?

Did you mention which countries have had their recognition withdrawn by the United States?

I'll wait....
While you're waiting, might want to explain why the USSR was the third country to recognize Israel? Sort of tell you something doesn't it? I mean many nations had recognized the USSR before the US, but being third to recognize Israel sure explains a lot eh?

America was one of the last holdouts that finally gave long overdue diplomatic recognition to the USSR. It was a relationship that led to an alliance against Nazi Germany in WWII and probably saved hundreds of thousands if not a million American lives.

Chic's goal is to make FDR into a communist and that requires her picking and choosing bits of history that can be turned into grand communist conspiracies by simply creating motives.

I love educating you.

Now....think carefully:

.....or rebuke?

I'll wait....
While you're waiting, might want to explain why the USSR was the third country to recognize Israel? Sort of tell you something doesn't it? I mean many nations had recognized the USSR before the US, but being third to recognize Israel sure explains a lot eh?

Now....think carefully:

.....or rebuke?

Chic's goal is to make FDR into a communist and that requires her picking and choosing bits of history that can be turned into grand communist conspiracies by simply creating motives.

"Chic's goal is to make FDR into a communist..."

No....a communist's puppet.

"Chic's goal is to make FDR into a communist..."

No....a communist's puppet.
You might start by garnering evidence, real evidence, and presenting it in a scholarly fashion.

Forum List

Back